PDA

View Full Version : Food help for Willow

catsmum
12-02-2008, 12:39 PM
As many of you know Willow had a lot of teeth out on January 24th. We brought her home and she had to have the sensitive tummy wet food so we could sprinkle her anti biotic on it etc for a week. Anyway as a house cat she is a bit over weight and knowing she doesn't have as many teeth we decided to change her diet and we opted for Hills Indoor Cat light diet. Willow is 12 this year.

Anyway she's not impressed with it. It is good for older cats and the kibble pieces good for those with dental issues so I thought it would be ideal. I got the Hills Indoor cat for 2 of our other cats and Willow really likes that, perhaps it isn't as bland. Anyway she is having bad smelly poos and diarrohea :( Then for the last couple of days she has been dragging her bum on the floor :o NICE! Just after having the runs. I think the change in diets is affecting her.

She was on James Wellbeloved before but started to go off it, then we had her teeth done and now I have switched her diet to get some of her weight off her and help her with her teeth. I am a bit confused. We decided to starve her for 24 hours and then to be honest I am not sure what to feed her do I try and make her stick with the Hills Indoor cat light diet or what????

Any advice would be appreciated
Karen
x

dinahsmum
12-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Hi Karen. Poor Willow :( I always put mine on 24(ish)-hour starve followed by at least 24 hours on steamed white fish after vomiting or diarrhoea episodes, so I think you're starting on the right track.

What do you want to feed her? Do you want her to continue with the Hills Indoor, which she likes? If so, can you cut down the amount, so that she eats and enjoys but doesn't take in as many calories? Also, now her teeth don't hurt, maybe you could get her to exercise a bit more? Maybe she will be more playful? Experiment with different typed of play, to find the one she enjoys most and then try to put aside a time every day for play/exercise. That's the best way to get off the excess weight, I think.

I must say I'm a little sceptical of the many many special diets available now, though I appreciate that others really praise them.

I'm sure others will have opinions too, so you must decide for yourself what you think will be best for you and Willow. Good luck