PDA

View Full Version : Home alone

Rosie
12-02-2008, 11:40 AM
I noticed in the rehoming section that some cats were being rehomed because they had to be left for many hours.

I have always had cats and unlike my dogs I have never been overly concerned about how long they were left providing they had food and shelter. Even when I have had to go away overnight a neighbour has stepped in to feed them and they have always been fine.

Do cat rescues ask the question "how long will they be left in any one day"?

My dog would go mad without a break during the day but the cats just do their own thing.

smudgley
12-02-2008, 12:47 PM
I noticed in the rehoming section that some cats were being rehomed because they had to be left for many hours.

I have always had cats and unlike my dogs I have never been overly concerned about how long they were left providing they had food and shelter. Even when I have had to go away overnight a neighbour has stepped in to feed them and they have always been fine.

Do cat rescues ask the question "how long will they be left in any one day"?

My dog would go mad without a break during the day but the cats just do their own thing.

I agree with you, I think sometimes it's an excuse for wanting to rehome a cat, surely the 3 cats you talk about would be better off where they are - settled & happy, even if it means they are on theirown for long periods. My cats are left for long periods and like you, I wouldn't leave the dog as long as I would the cats, but dogs have such different needs to cats.

yola
12-02-2008, 01:26 PM
My 2 cats are alone all day and even when we are home they tend to choose their own space away from us (usually, but not always). But all cats are different. It's what they get used to and also some cats are more demanding of attention and interaction.

dinahsmum
12-02-2008, 02:09 PM
I tend to agree with Smudgley. It's just a euphamism for "I'm bored with these now - don't want them any more" :(

Moli
12-02-2008, 02:20 PM
I am home all day, but my cats do there own thing, now and then they will appear, they do not need a lot of attention..

Kazz
12-02-2008, 02:25 PM
When I left the family home and moved into a flat I missed animal company but knew working full time was a NO NO for a dog, so I thought and got a cat well a kitten Archie success I was at work sort of 8-9 hours a day shifts sometimes and out of an evening on occasion but he was fine he was killed in a RTA before he was 1 but I got Cleo and Oscar and they were fine and lived happily for 24 years with me being in and out during that time. I would not have considered a cat orginaly if I had thought they could not be happily be left to their own devices while I was at work.

Karen

angieh
12-02-2008, 03:22 PM
I agree with Smudgley - it's an excuse to get rid of them. Mind, rehoming is a million miles better than taking them somewhere and dumping them.

Grete
12-02-2008, 05:09 PM
I have to agree there - cats are fine being left for long periods of time - as long as they have food, water and a litter tray they are as happy as larry (who is larry and why is he always happy?).

We've left our girls for 2 nights - a friend popped in and made sure they were OK and gave them a treat. When we came back I don't think they'd even noticed we'd gone ;)

dandysmom
12-02-2008, 05:51 PM
Mine have always been alone during the day before I retired. Naively, perhaps, I thought they'd be so pleased to have me home in the daytime! Ha! They did just what I assume they did while I was working....sleep! Cats are quite content to be left to their own devices for long periods as long as their basic needs are met.....

smudgley
12-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Larry... :-D wonder if he's ever in a mood. :lol:

Kay
20-02-2008, 09:21 PM
I would agree that it is just an excuse. I think that these people think it makes them look really caring but surely the fact that cats are so independant makes them the ideal pet for those at work etc.