PDA

View Full Version : Trinity is overweight

ellenlouise
12-02-2008, 10:20 AM
Hiya

We took Trinity for her booster vaccinations and Neo for his check up yesterday. Neo was fine. Trinity on the other hand unfortunatly is a bit chubby. She weighed 5.05kg and should weigh 4kg so she needs to go on a diet. The vet said to change her food to an indoor cat food or a light food not sure which would be better. Unfortunatly though we have just brought the hugest bag of Whiskas. So we will need to use it up first. We have reduced her amount by loads giving her the amount the vet said rather than filling her bowl up and no more wet food. Any advice would be brilliant.

Seraphina
19-03-2008, 09:17 PM
Hiya,

I'm by no means an expert but a year ago my cat was either 4.7 or 4.8kg & now is 4.1 1/2 & i've just given her 200g a day wet (2 pouches) one in the morning & one at night. The receptionists said that wasn't starving her & she never wants more.

When I went last week the vet said to be careful to not let her lose too quickly at her age (10), i'm not sure the rate cats should lose at. I'd say to make sure she isn't helping Neo to finish his dinner & to give the amount the vet said & play games where she has to move abit, maybe throwing stuff like rolled up paper/balls down the stairs or up so she has to run up & down?

Sorry I can't be much help but when you find out what works let me know, could do with losing some myself =)

Sam

Elaine
19-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Be very careful about dieting a cat, too much too soon can lead to hepatic lipidosis/fatty liver disease.
Dried food is much higher in calories than wet food.
I have a large kitty and tbh, I found better results with her weight loss by getting her to play more.
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/obesity.html
http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/catweight.html
http://www.cat-world.com.au/ObesityInCats.htm

dandysmom
19-03-2008, 10:12 PM
And since she's on dry food, could you not buy a bag of the vet-recommended food and mix some of it in with the large bag of Whiskas that you have to use up? That plus cutting down a bit on her portions and more exercise should help...... hugs to her and Neo!

Seraphina
20-03-2008, 04:55 AM
Great links, Elaine, i'm reading through now & finding alot of useful & interesting information! Thanks

Steph
20-03-2008, 01:27 PM
As with all weight loss the key is slow and steady and more exercise(do as I say not as I do?:oops: )

There isn`t a cat born that doesn`t like `the string game`-get a piece of string and put it under some newspaper with the end sticking out and slowly pull-they go crazy:D

angieh
20-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Or a piece of string stuck through a plastic drinks bottle top with the end left dangley, you could go right round your house with your two chasing it (I used to do that - and round the garden too!) I always got tired of it before they did. :lol: :lol: :lol:

dandysmom
20-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Or a piece of string stuck through a plastic drinks bottle top with the end left dangley, you could go right round your house with your two chasing it (I used to do that - and round the garden too!) I always got tired of it before they did. :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's one I hadn't heard of, thanks~! Going to try it; Leia could use some more exercise!

Steph
20-03-2008, 05:51 PM
You know others make a fortune about talking cat Psychology-have we missed out??

Zen and the art of cat maintenence?

My family and other string games?

A tale of two Kitties?

angieh
20-03-2008, 05:58 PM
Good ones Steph! Perhaps we ought to have a thread for each topic and someone to compile the ideas/stories etc.??? :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

ellenlouise
21-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Thanks for advice. We mixed in the old and new food so Trinity is getting used to it. She is loosing weight slowly and having Neo to chase around I think has helped. Links are brilliant Elaine. Oh and Neo and Trinity are fed seperatly. I am now off to play the suggested games.

angieh
21-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Enjoy yourself ellenlouise - playing with cats is magic!

Kay
25-03-2008, 12:21 AM
Glad Trinity has started losing weight and that she is doing it slowly. I am sure with a combination of the right food and plenty of play she will get there.

(Wish I could :roll: :roll: )

babycakes
25-03-2008, 04:49 PM
Could we have some updated pics please