PDA

View Full Version : Skin problems and plug-in air fresheners

dinahsmum
11-02-2008, 09:15 AM
Saw this in the paper at the weekend and I thought it might be an idea to do a post - for now and future reference. I've never been too keen on these things - rather open the window!

"A veterinary dermatologist speaking to an owner whose cat had a severe skin irritation said that all plug-in air fresheners should be removed because of the high level of chemicals being pumped out at 'cat level'. The cat started to improve at once and is now healed."

It's worth a try if your cat has an unexplained allergy

Mags
11-02-2008, 12:41 PM
That's very interesting DM, I have occassionally used these plug-ins and fortunately Cassie has suffered no allergy effects from them but it's understandable that some cats may.

Thanks for bringing it to our notice..:)

babycakes
11-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Very interresting and not something you would think of is it....

dandysmom
11-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Glad you posted that! I've hardly ever used them, don't care for the too heavy smell, but definitely won't now!

Tc's Servants
11-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Hi,

Our cat TC has a terrible skin problem that the vet reckons is due to a food allergy.

We do use some plug in air fresheners around the home, so will be removing them to see if this helps.

Thanks for the tip off!!

TC's Servants.

babycakes
11-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Hi,

Our cat TC has a terrible skin problem that the vet reckons is due to a food allergy.

We do use some plug in air fresheners around the home, so will be removing them to see if this helps.

Thanks for the tip off!!

TC's Servants.

It would be interresting if you keep us informed

Kim
11-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Thanks for that. Never been keen on the artificial smell of air fresheners. Apparently febreze can cause skin problems with some pets too.

lisa0307
12-02-2008, 05:04 PM
Thanks for that. Never been keen on the artificial smell of air fresheners. Apparently febreze can cause skin problems with some pets too.

Yep..and Shake and Vac:(

Tc's Servants
17-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Hi All,

Thought we would update you, that unfortunately T.C has lost his battle with his skin disease. We had him put down this week as he was suffering a lot and had become a very unhappy cat.

He had undergone a lot of investigations to try and determine the cause of his problem, but they all drew blanks. The vet exhausted all treatments and none worked, and basically said that there was nothing more he could try. We had also tried various things, by removing all chemicals from the home etc but to no avail.

We made the decision to stop the suffering with a heavy heart, as he was such a loving cat with so much to offer. But he became very unhappy, stopped interacting, did not want any fussing and began to eat less so we knew he was miserable. We couldnt bear to see him like that any longer.

He is now at peace, and still very much in our thoughts.

Thanks to every one for their advice and support. Speak to you again soon once we get a new addition of the purring kind!!

dandysmom
17-04-2008, 10:00 PM
I'm very sorry for your loss. A hard decision, but he is out of his discomfort and pain now....RIP, TC, run free......

Mags
17-04-2008, 10:45 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss of T.C ......... he is free of any pain and discomfort now ... ((((hugs))))

Run free special boy ..... xx

angieh
17-04-2008, 11:30 PM
I wonder about aromatherapy oils - albeit they are not at "cat level".

So sorry for TC - and for you. XXX

lisa0307
18-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the update but so sorry that it's not happier news...R.I.P. Puss :(