PDA

View Full Version : Buster has got bald bits

tilly
10-02-2008, 02:01 PM
I was cuddling buster this morning and noticed that the back bit of his back legs are bald and slightly red looking. It is on the point of his knee on the outside/tail side of his leg.
He has also got a few bald bits on his tummy with tiny black bit in them. I know it sounds like fleas but he has been inside since I moved because I am having the garden cat proofed and was de fleaed before we moved. Also I couldn't find any on him and Tilly seems to be fine.
Anyway I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I have posted a picture of his bald spot on his tummy
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y182/tilly0_5/busterbaldness.jpg
I have now put some frontline on him and vaseline on the bald bits to try to protect them from rubbing.
They look a bit red but I didn't think vaseline would hurt and it might also suffocate any parasite if that is what is causing the problem.
I have only noticed it today and I do check him over everyday so I think it has just happened.

anyway what do you think it could be, he has never had this kind of problem before.

Sally

angieh
10-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Sorry not to be helpful to you or Buster! I think you've got the flea thing covered (if it was flea). Is he scratching noticeably?

Not sure about vaseline as it is petroleum based. 'Spect someone more knowledgable will be along shortly.

Hope you solve the mystery.

Mags
10-02-2008, 04:34 PM
I don't think Vaseline will harm the cat as some people use it on the cat's paws as an aid for hairballs...

tilly
10-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Is he scratching noticeably?

He isn't itching any more than normal. and I got the vaseline idea from my vet as Tilly has got dry pads on her front feet so the vet said put vaseline on them.

dinahsmum
11-02-2008, 09:03 AM
It looks very much like the little patch of 'allergic reaction' Bentley has on his tummy. (see his recent pic 'Soft fool!')The vet has ruled out flea infestation/allergy and all that happens is that he has a steroid injection a few times a year to damp down the reaction.
As my vet says 'hmm, he's allergic and reacting to *something* but it could be any one of hundreds of allergens, inside or outside the house'.
I'm going to post another thread, with something it could be, but which I think is well worth having its own space, for future searching. Doesn't that sound mysterious? :) Not really - the potential culprit is plug-in air fresheners

tilly
11-02-2008, 10:46 AM
It looks very much like the little patch of 'allergic reaction' Bentley has on his tummy.
I can't think what it could be as he is on steroids for his ashma. and I haven't changed anything recently.
Anyway I think it is off to the vets for buster.

Tilly

Mags
11-02-2008, 01:06 PM
My previous cat Sam used to have a fur loss problem. It started on his back legs when he was about 2 and spread to his tummy. Eventually he had no fur at all on his underside and the vet was treating him for a hormonal problem. The fur gradually grew back on his legs but not on his tummy, he was completely bald there.

He was taking two tablets a day for the rest of his life and he lived until he was 12 .......... that was an awful lot of tablets...:roll: