PDA

View Full Version : Compost Making!

angieh
08-02-2008, 09:54 PM
I thought I might tell you about Bokashi bins and their role in making really good and relatively quick compost.

http://www.greengardener.co.uk/bokashi.htm

The unusual feature is that you can put citrus peel, banana skins and bits of fish and meat in it too. Don't however be seduced by pictures of lovely loamy looking compost next to the bins. It doesn't work as quickly as that. When your bin is full you have to let it stand for at least 2 weeks before either burying it in the earth or (as I do) putting it on the compost heap. While the bin is standing and also for the bin you are currently using, you should drain off the liquid every couple of days. This can be diluted as plant feed or used neat to clean your drains! This does actually work!!.

There is no smell from the bin whilst it has its lid on. I have mine in the kitchen and have never smelled it. However when the lid is off, there is a smell and when you empty the bin there is also a smell. Personally I find the smell quite OK - it is a bit pickley but my OH cannot abide the smell and can't go anywhere near it. He is not usually very sensitive to smells, so that's a bit odd.

I have been using the bins now for about 3 months. I don't have to throw anything of vegetable origin in my refuse bin - and I am gradually overcoming my hesitation about putting fish and meat products in it. This morning when I went to empty the bin I found my compost heap full of lovely worms, which as you will know is a good indicator of healthy compost and I would be quite happy now to spread it all over my garden.

The link above is actually where I bought my bins from. I have bought other things from them too (excellent for organic pest control) and can recommend the firm.

dandysmom
08-02-2008, 10:38 PM
We have this here in the States too; I can't believe I'd never heard of it before in any of my garden magazines or catalogues! I Googled it after Angie's post this morning, and it's on my Want List! Love the idea of being able to recycle things like meat/fish scraps that normally wouldn't be composted, and that the liquid can be used as fertilier when diluted! A very cool idea.....

Mags
09-02-2008, 12:03 AM
That made interesting reading Angie, thanks for the link..:D

jojobloo
29-03-2008, 11:24 PM
I bought my bokashi from bokashibucket (http://www.bokashibucket.co.uk) its fab. I can even compost my kitty litter