PDA

View Full Version : How on earth

Rosie
06-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Just been reading on the other thread how many of you have multi-cat households. How on earth do they all manage to get on? I am constantly reading on cat forums the trouble people are having integrating two cats (my two only tollerate each other) so how does a pack cope when another one is introduced or do they even notice when there are that many?

Moli
06-02-2008, 02:26 PM
I have 5 all neutered males, what I have found is they are all so different, my two siamese are joined at the hip, always together, Leo the old exotic tends to spend his time on a bed somewhere, Merlin the young exotic alternates between beds and the garden, he can be a bit of a bully, often gives the rest a thick ear, but on saying that he sleeps with the others at night...
Chancer, my rescue is very much his own boss, does what he wants, now and then Merlin will bash him, but is never nasty, just letting him know his place..
But think as I said, it works because they all have different personalities and needs...

dinahsmum
06-02-2008, 02:57 PM
Well, my current pair arrived as babies on the same day, so they are effectively brothers and, unsurprisingly, there has never been any problem.
But, for the last thirty-odd years we have been a multi cat (never more than 3) household and I've never had any trouble bringing in a newbie. Before I started reading Catsey I wouldn't even have thought of it :roll: . All new entrants have been kittens, so I guess that helps - much more of an issue trying to persuade an adult cat that a new adult cat entering its home is a good thing.

Kim
06-02-2008, 05:51 PM
As I used to help out at a local rescue I often brought home an oldie for his/her last remaining months. Generally I just let them get on with it and have never had any major problems. I now have 4 cats, 2 of them don't see eye to eye, but it is usually a harmonious household.

Fran
06-02-2008, 07:29 PM
I have 9 adults and absolutely no issues what so ever. I have never had any problems introducing a kitten into the feline family but I did have serious issues a while ago trying to introduce an entire adult queen. We have a very harmonious home here, all the adults get on and are also happy with the 11 kittens we have had quite recently :cool:

Kazz
06-02-2008, 08:13 PM
I had two cats together, they were we believe brother and siser (found in same bin liner) so as related as they come, never considered until they were old old introducing another cat - two was enough, but when they were old old I did think of a youngster but decided to let them live their days out without a new pair of feline feet trampling over their routine.

Not sure I would think twice about it in fact before Catsey would not have and just got another cat if I had wanted one, I figure if I am calm about it it should work out in the end.

Elaine
06-02-2008, 08:26 PM
I only have two cats and it took 6 months to integrate Bernie into the house due to Eva being a spoilt Diva. Multi cat owners tell me that it gets easier the more you have. Personally I think it depends very much on individual personalities.

Liz
06-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Well currently at 36 cats, 2 kittens and 2 dogs, we have had more issues getting the cats to acce[pt a puppy took 3 weeks of the inside/outside crew deciding they weren't coming in at night, the inside crew being overly skittish - they are all ferals of various ages and handlability

We then let the cats smack the puppy with their claws extended and in 3 days he has learnt who will play with him and who to avoid

We have fostered in the past and most left but they were used to the transient population and like all families we have those who like each other those who tolerate each other and now we have the space they can have the space to do as they please.

Ours is a large mob mainly ferals but all in all its quite a happy place but I am thinking of a playmate in puppy form for Sky so the dog beating routine may be in force later in the year

Now the ferals curl up with him in his crate and steal his food!

dandysmom
06-02-2008, 10:09 PM
I formerly had minor trouble introducing an adult female to the resident adult female who was missing her male buddy; they never bonded but tolerated each other. I have been unable to introduce a stray female to my resident girl who went ballistic.

My breeder friends who had multiple cats said it becomes easier the more you have...they just roll their eyes and say, oh, another one .........

Samz5
07-02-2008, 05:49 PM
We have 5 here at the moment, they get on OK most of the time.
As far as introductions go most of them arrived as kittens and it all went fine, Mitz was here first, then when she had babies we kept 2 of them (Tango & Rio), obviously that was no problem for her.
Then we rescued 2 kittens about a year later, Tango and Rio were both very loving to the new babies (Rags and Bones), Mitz didn't like them and after a few swats to the head they just kept away from her - easy to put kittens into line and show them who's boss I think.
Mitz had another litter of kittens (my parents didn't spay her quick enough) and we kept one, all the cats loved her (Courtney) straight away!

The only problem we've ever had was integrating the stray cat (Domino) who was un neutered and sprayed, as well as being a full grown cat at around 6 years old and the rest of the cats all being 10 years and over. He took over a year to settle in, once he'd been 'done' it was a lot easier.
He soon learned his place (bottom of the pack) the others did bully him for a while and we let them as long as it didn't get to nasty, hes very happy here now, it just took a long time for the oldies to accept change I think.

babycakes
07-02-2008, 06:47 PM
I only have one at the moment and I think he will remain a one-cat household as he waws feral and I really don't think he will ever mix well. (even though I would love millions), have to put his needs first and not mine.
However we had a brother and sister who accepted a further 3 others at different stages, we only had a problem with one who was a big bully tom but he soon settled in. (once the nads came off)

Lore
10-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Well we have never had just one cat, always had 2 or 3 and after about a month of hissing at each other they soon start playing with each other. Now the two we have at the moment sleep together under the couch. Never really had problems with having multi-cats