PDA

View Full Version : Furballs

Rosie
06-02-2008, 02:03 PM
I have noticed over the past couple of years that when either Rosie or Alfie have a problem with furballs they appear to be very depressed for about 24 hours before eliminating them (they will not eat or move very far).

Is this common? I have taken them to the vet on two occasions because I thought they were seriously ill!

Moli
06-02-2008, 02:21 PM
I put katalax on my cats paws regularly, it really helps with fur balls...

dandysmom
07-02-2008, 03:02 AM
Some cats are just more prone to furballs than others: all mine, shorthairs, have gotten combed regularly and rarely had them except Patches who did whoops up one regularly. I gave them Petromalt, a flavored gel to promote the passage of the fur thru the system; most of them liked it. Leia doesn't. but she never has furballs anyway.....

Amber
07-02-2008, 08:38 AM
I was just going to suggest Katalax but Moli beat me to it :D

yola
07-02-2008, 11:01 AM
My Balie honks up furballs with alarming regularity . . . usually at least once a day :shock: But Fifi brews hers for weeks. And yes, she gets quite lethargic and disinterested for a bit prior to a furball appearing. However JUST prior to throwing up, she gets quite aggitated and distressed. Poor babe. However, hers are enormous . . . a good 6-8 inches!!!

If yours are throwing them up they there is nothing to worry about. It's if a blockage occurs - as with my dearly departed Darcy. Then it has to be surgically removed (don't worry, his being departed has nothing to do with the blockage).

PoshPuss
08-02-2008, 01:05 PM
I've read about furballs and Posh is a fluffy cat so I'm dreading the furball event :shock: She's an avid groomer and I try and keep her silky too. Are furballs inevitable with a persian, Yola? yikes !:roll: never seen one yet.

dandysmom
08-02-2008, 04:58 PM
I've read about furballs and Posh is a fluffy cat so I'm dreading the furball event :shock: She's an avid groomer and I try and keep her silky too. Are furballs inevitable with a persian, Yola? yikes !:roll: never seen one yet.

Count your blessings! She just may be one of the cats that don't have trouble passing the fur! Regular grooming which you do already, and maybe a bit of the anti-furball gel once a week may do the trick.......

Kay
08-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Persians are more prone to furballs because of their long fur. Regular grooming will help keep this to a minimum. Having said this not all Persians suffer with furaballs. Royal Canin Persian food helps to eliminate furballs as well. If you haven't seen a furball yet then I would say that Posh is one of the ones that doesn't suffer from them or at least not on a regular bases.

rumbletum
08-02-2008, 11:12 PM
my scruff has one about once every 2 months, but as a colourpoint persian she does have very long thick fur, they are pretty icky but really no worse than a poo and no where near as bad as vomit. she is very lethargic just before she hawks one up and dosent eat much either though she does drink alot more water.
I know iams make an anti hairball dry food but i personally have not tried it so couldent say if its any good.