PDA

View Full Version : Passed Out Today

Amber
05-02-2008, 09:22 PM
What a day! I was in theatre with the vet doing a cruciate ligament repair on a dog. I've scrubbed in to these loads of times, and felt absolutely fine. I wasn't hot, I wasn't feeling sick or anything. Was having a conversation with the vet, and within about two seconds I broke out in a sweat and my vision went blurry, and then I just passed out :shock: luckily the anaesthetist caught me and dragged me out of the theatre :lol: when I came to I had no clue what was going on!

After a drink of water and a bar of chocolate I was absolutely fine again, I'm wondering if maybe my blood sugar dropped :? I have passed out once before and that was to do with my blood pressure being too low but that was an hour after my car crash and most likely due to delayed shock - one of the most scary experiences of my life!

Mags
05-02-2008, 09:33 PM
I'm glad you feel better now Amber, that must have been a shock to everyone in the theatre..:?

It might be a good idea if you popped along to your doctor to get your blood pressure checked..

CathyW
05-02-2008, 10:04 PM
how old are u amber (if u dont mind me askin???) and i agree a trip to the docs. or if your near an asdas they are doing a free health check, they do your BP. might be a bit on the low side.

dandysmom
05-02-2008, 10:23 PM
How very scary, Amber! I agree you might want to be looked at; not normal for a healthy young woman to black out like that.......take care, (((hugs)))

Fran
05-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Any possibility at all that you could be pregnant?? I agree a check up with the doctor is inorder, certainly worth ruling out diabetes, BP problems and pregnancy! Do let us know how you get on

angieh
05-02-2008, 10:45 PM
So sorry to hear you passed out Amber. Nothing the vet was saying to you, I hope? I agree with the comments above - best to go get your BP checked and blood sugar. I've passed out twice - not a nice experience at all.

Amber
05-02-2008, 11:18 PM
Boysmum I'm 19.

Thanks guys, I had my blood pressure checked just over a week ago for my pre-op check, and have it checked every 6 months as I'm on the contraceptive pill - has been totally normal at all checks. I'm due at the hospital on 19th Feb wondering whether to wait until then? I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to the docs! lol

babycakes
06-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Sorry to hear this Amber, had you eaten at all? have you had your blood sugar tested? Where you hormonal? or taking any medication? Just things that may alter your chemical balance

janey83
08-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Had you been standing for a length of time? I use to faint all the time if I was stood up still for about 5 mins. The blood use to clot behind my knees and id pass out. So if I have to stand still, I now have to keep my legs moving!

dandysmom
08-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Amber, did you see a doctor? Are you feeling OK now?

Kim
08-02-2008, 10:54 PM
Hope you are feeling beeter Amber. I agree that it is worth getting checked out, but sounds to me as if your blood sugar was low, especially as you felt better after some chocolate and a drink!

Amber
09-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Hi guys, have been off here for a couple of days and just wanted to say thankyou for your concern :)

I called my doctors the following day, and couldn't get an appointment for a week and a half! So I've decided I may as well wait until I am at the hospital in just over a week.
Since my little episode I have been fine (touch wood) but yes I was standing for a long period of time, and in the same position - maybe that also contributed?

dandysmom
09-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Can't venture a guess about the standing; but I'm glad it hasn't happened again and you'll be looked at while in hospital! Thanks for letting us know.......