PDA

View Full Version : Elderly cat losing hair on her front legs

tiffanie
04-02-2008, 09:03 PM
Hello,

I have a very elderly cat who has started to lose hair on her front legs. She is losing it where she uses her legs to try and groom herself. The hair is not growing back and comes out in small clumps when she is groomed. She has trouble doing this herself due to her age and lack of balance.

Here is a photo so you can hopefully see what i mean.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd279/tiffaniejohnson/040220081361.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Tiffanie.

Fran
04-02-2008, 09:07 PM
Hi, how old is she?? Have you had a check over with the vet at all? I know in dogs that hair loss can be a symptom of thyroid problems, not sure if this is the same in cats but I would recommend you get your vet to take a look at her. Do let us know how she gets on....

tiffanie
04-02-2008, 09:21 PM
Thanks Fran,

I will take her to the vets on Saturday for a check up. I was wondering if anybody could give me any advise in the meantime, or if anyone had seen it before. She has got skinnier (sp?) in the last couple of weeks so you could be on the right track with the thyroid problem.

She is a rescue from the CPL. Her previous owner had to go into an old people's home and could not take her along. I had a visit from her daughter when i first got her as she wanted to see her new home. :) I asked how old she was (Beauty, not the daughter ;) ) and she said that she'd been a stray when her Mum adopted her. She couldnt remember quite how long ago that was but she said it was at least 20 years or so!!

I am starting to worry that she is just getting too old and her quality of life is deteriorating to be honest. She does fine as she is and potters about quite happily at the moment but in recent weeks we have seen a decline in her. She is deaf and has no teeth but still enjoys her food as much as the youngsters we have. She has regular vet check ups to make sure she is doing ok but there's always that niggling fear in the back of our heads that she is a very elderly cat and may not be with us forever. :( The last thing i want to do though is make her suffer in any way by being selfish and keeping her here with us if she is no longer getting any enjoyment out of life. :(

Fingers crossed that everything will be fine at the vets and it's just a little health matter that can be resolved easily.

Sorry for going on! Although we've only had her a few months she means the world to us and i just want to make sure she's ok.

Thanks,

Tiffanie.

Fran
04-02-2008, 09:42 PM
I see you are in Chesterfield, just out of curiosity, which vets do you use?

Do let us know how she goes on, she sounds such a lovely old lady. I do hope that it is something that can be easily treated or managed and that she will enjoy a little more time with you x

dandysmom
04-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Awww poor Beauty; she sounds a lovely senior cat! I was wondering if stress might play a part in the fur loss, as being rehomed at her age must have been a bit difficult but it sounds as if she's settled in well....I hope the vet can help and that she'll enjoy much more time with you...do please le us know what they say.......

babycakes
04-02-2008, 11:11 PM
Poor Beauty. She sounds a lovely old dear X Lucky to have you to look after her in her twilight years. I hope the vet can shed some light on her situation X

tiffanie
04-02-2008, 11:15 PM
Hi Fran,

We use Spire vets in Newbold. I've been using them ever since i aquired my first cat 4 years ago....... I now have 4 cats and a dog! Once you start and all that..... ;)

Hi Dandysmum,

Stress might be a factor in it all. We got our dog last July and he was a rescue and 4 months old at the time. He is a very boisterous dog and he does lack good manners a lot of the time. Perhaps seeing him bounding towards her when she knows she can't get away at any great speed is stressing her out a bit, and although he doesn't chase he does try and nudge her along with his nose if she isn't moving at what he considers a fast enough pace! :shock:

Tiffanie.

tiffanie
04-02-2008, 11:24 PM
Thanks babycakes. She really is a lovely cat and i'm so glad we have her with us. She has one of those triangle hooded beds where she loves to snuggle up and go to sleep. She looks so peaceful in there. :D She's an absolute pleasure to have and no trouble at all.

I was so proud of her the other day when she actually got all 4 legs in the litter tray to have a wee. Unfortunately she didn't quite get her back end in enough to actually make a difference! :roll: She then turned around and looked at me as if to say 'look Mum, i made it!' :lol: She usually just puts her 2 front paws in! :D

Fran
04-02-2008, 11:43 PM
Hi Fran,

We use Spire vets in Newbold. I've been using them ever since i aquired my first cat 4 years ago....... I now have 4 cats and a dog! Once you start and all that..... ;)

Spire's are great! Ian the older guy who owns the practice is absolutely sound!! I love the 'old fashioned' way they do things, although the sit and wait surgeries can be a bit of a nightmare!!!

babycakes
04-02-2008, 11:46 PM
Thanks babycakes. She really is a lovely cat and i'm so glad we have her with us. She has one of those triangle hooded beds where she loves to snuggle up and go to sleep. She looks so peaceful in there. :D She's an absolute pleasure to have and no trouble at all.

I was so proud of her the other day when she actually got all 4 legs in the litter tray to have a wee. Unfortunately she didn't quite get her back end in enough to actually make a difference! :roll: She then turned around and looked at me as if to say 'look Mum, i made it!' :lol: She usually just puts her 2 front paws in! :D

That brought a tear to my eyes!!! Lovely sweet baby give her a special kiss from me X
Denis has a pyramid bed too (he's only 4), but he is a scardy catand he loves to hide in there

dandysmom
04-02-2008, 11:49 PM
Hi Fran,

Hi Dandysmum,

Stress might be a factor in it all. We got our dog last July and he was a rescue and 4 months old at the time. He is a very boisterous dog and he does lack good manners a lot of the time. Perhaps seeing him bounding towards her when she knows she can't get away at any great speed is stressing her out a bit, and although he doesn't chase he does try and nudge her along with his nose if she isn't moving at what he considers a fast enough pace! :shock:

Tiffanie.

Oh dear! If she wasn't used to a dog in her former home that must be very very stressful for her! I imagine she's a bit oldish to jump to a safe place when it charges at her ........is there a safe bolt-hole sort of place for her to escape to? Poor Beauty!

angieh
04-02-2008, 11:54 PM
Hi Tiffanie - Welcome to Catsey!

I have a 21 year old cat called Merlin, so I completely understand your dilemma. I found this website article particularly reassuring and helpful about quality of life for an older cat.

http://wizz-catz.co.uk/oldage.html

The article is so practical - I expect you have thought of most of the things for yourself, but I found it helpful to know that, going through the points in the article, I had not missed anything I could do to make sure that I was doing the best for Merlin .

I think a trip to the vet to get Beauty's thyroid checked is the best idea. Merlin has a "blip" and is carefully monitored.

Good luck - let us know how you and Beauty get on. Lol XX

tiffanie
05-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Dandysmum,

She has got a couple of places to go when she wants to be out of the way. She doesn't 'do' jumping i'm afraid! We are moving house soon and are already putting our thinking caps on regarding places that Beauty can go for a bit of peace and quiet.

Either way we will make sure that she has plenty of breathing space away from the dog.

Tiffanie.

tiffanie
05-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Spire's are great! Ian the older guy who owns the practice is absolutely sound!!

Yes he is. :D The Australian guy seems good as well but i've only seen him a couple of times. The first time i saw him was when i had to go in with my cat Molly just over a year ago. Unfortunately she was very poorly and had to be PTS after discovering a large growth on her liver :cry: He was very good and understanding and let me stay with her a while. He then let me go out of the side door so i didn't have to face everyone in the waiting room. :(

tiffanie
05-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Thanks Angieh. That article is very thoughtful. Most of it is what we do already but some of it is very helpful and reassuring. :D

Tiffanie.

tiffanie
18-02-2008, 03:37 PM
UPDATE ON BEAUTY

Hi guys,

Thank you for all your replies regarding Beauty and sorry i have not come back sooner to let you know what's happened. Unfortunately Beauty passed away on the Friday before we were due to take her to the vets. My OH had the day off work and spent the day with her giving her lots of cuddles. She slipped away peacefully snuggled up in her blanket in front of the fire. We believe she was happy and content. My OH thinks she hung on to spend a bit of quality time with him. We are very upset that she is no longer with us but we are grateful for the time that we had with her and hope that we made her happy in her final few months.

Tiffanie.

dinahsmum
18-02-2008, 03:42 PM
I am sorry to hear your sad news but *in a way* pleased that the ultimate decision was taken out of your hands and she slipped away easily and stress free in her own bed in her own home.
Take care

tiffanie
18-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks Dinahsmum. We are also glad that she was at home in familiar surroundings. She will be sadly missed.

angieh
18-02-2008, 03:59 PM
So sorry to hear your sad news Tiffanie. I think you can be absolutely sure that Beauty passed away gently in her loving warm home. It is very sad, but as others have said, in a way, a blessing and a lovely way to go.
:bighug:

Mags
18-02-2008, 04:16 PM
So sorry to hear your sad news Tiffanie ........ it must be comforting for you to know she passed away peacefully at home and not alone..

Thinking of you ((((hugs))))

MrsH
18-02-2008, 04:20 PM
So sorry to hear that you've lost Beauty, but at least you know that she slipped away warm, comfortable and in the company of people who loved her.

alexgirl73
18-02-2008, 04:58 PM
so sorry Tiffanie xx

RIP Beauty

tiffanie
18-02-2008, 06:08 PM
Thanks everyone.

Tiffanie.

Elaine
18-02-2008, 07:54 PM
So sorry Tiffany, sending you big hugs xxx

R.I.P. Beauty, sleep well xxx

dandysmom
18-02-2008, 09:15 PM
I'm sorry for your loss; but at least her time was spent in a loving home and she went quietly in comfortable surroundings with one of her people there with her... RIP, Beauty

Kay
18-02-2008, 11:51 PM
So sorry Tiffanie. My thoughts are with you and your OH. At least she had all your love and care in her final days.

R.I.P. Beauty. Now you can play without the restrictions that your old age brought.

Moli
19-02-2008, 12:37 AM
So sorry...
Run Free little girl...xx

Grete
19-02-2008, 09:08 AM
Just saw this, I'm so sorry for your loss :( Sounds like she went in the best possible way - safe, peaceful, content and loved.

RIP sweet Beauty, run free at the bridge with all our precious babies that have gone before, they'll look after you :)

*hugs*

Fran
19-02-2008, 10:52 AM
Oh Tiffanie, I have only just caught up with this. I am so very sorry for your loss but I am pleased she went peacefully at home x

RIP Beauty, sleep well x