PDA

View Full Version : Shrove Tuesday

Mags
03-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Yes, next Tuesday 5th February, is Shrove Tuesday or .......Pancake Day!

Do you have pancakes every year, do you make your own or do you use the packets of Pancake mix?

I love them with loads of lemon and a sprinkle of sugar!:D

Ingredients:

125g plain flour, sifted
1 medium size egg, beaten
300ml milk
a little oil for frying

Method:

Sift the flour into a bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the egg, then gradually add half the milk, stirring constantly. Add the remaining milk and beat thoroughly, until smooth.

Heat a small omelette or frying pan and add a few drops of oil. Pour a little batter into the pan and tilt so that the batter coats the bottom of the pan.

Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until bubbles appear and the underside is golden. Loosen the edges of the pancake, then flip it over and cook the other side for a further 1-2 minutes, or until golden.

Pile the pancakes on to a warm plate, separating them with sheets of greaseproof paper. Keep warm and continue to make 8 pancakes in total.

babycakes
03-02-2008, 01:18 PM
I will make pancakes next year in my new kitchen.... before then I will be eating auny bessies ready made and allowing the kids I work with to put their toppings on them, which will be lots of fun!!!!

Elaine
03-02-2008, 03:05 PM
Is it really Mags? I always thought it was after my birthday or does it just depend on what the first tuesday in Feb lands on?
Am I thick or what?:lol:

Moli
03-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Ah! I have a better way of making them, add milk shake and hey presto you have you pancake mix!!!I am not a cook!!!

Mags
03-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Is it really Mags? I always thought it was after my birthday or does it just depend on what the first tuesday in Feb lands on?
Shrove Tuesday always falls 47 days before Easter ........and Easter is early this year...:D

Fran
03-02-2008, 04:20 PM

It depends where in the year Easter falls Elaine. Shrove Tuesday is always the day before Ash Wednesday. Ash Wednesday being the first day of lent leading up to Easter. Easter is early this year, so shrove Tuesday is too...

In recent years, we have always made our own pancake mix (same mix as Yorkshire Puddings) however, this year for ease, since things are hectic here with lots of kittens etc..I have bought a packet mix to which you just add an egg. I eat mine with lemon juice, orange juice and castor sugar, yummy!

yola
03-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Yes, it's a frighteningly early Easter this year :shock:

I have to be creative with pancakes because of OHs wheat intollerance. Might try buckwheat pancakes but they're a meal in themselves and certainly to heavy to toss in the pan :shock:

dandysmom
03-02-2008, 05:22 PM
That's a custom that never caught on here in the States; I don't do pancakes, but would gladly eat some if they were at hand! :-D

angieh
03-02-2008, 05:28 PM
Have to admit last year tried the ready made ones from Tescos coz got fed up with having to wait my turn! They are OK (not as good as homemade) but lovely with fresh lemon or orange and sugar. Just have to think carefully :? to find something light to have beforehand, as pancakes can be enough on their own, and of course you all know you can't just have pudding! (WHY NOT, I ASK????:lol: )

smudgley
03-02-2008, 05:51 PM
We love pancakes.:cool:
We shall be doing them on Tuesday & then I'm going for tea at a friends house wed with a few other friends & she's doing pancakes too. :-D

Mags
03-02-2008, 05:58 PM
We love pancakes.:cool:
We shall be doing them on Tuesday & then I'm going for tea at a friends house wed with a few other friends & she's doing pancakes too. :-D
Lucky you Smudgley , you'll be having a double helping then! :lol:

Grete
04-02-2008, 09:15 AM
Mmmmm I love pancakes :) I have them with Lemon Juice and either Maple Syrup or Sugar. Of course since Hubby is Diabetic, we have Splenda granulated fake sugar instead of the real thing - still yummy :)

dinahsmum
04-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Love pancakes - home made with a little sugar and a lot of lemon.
I'll make if OH is here.

angieh
04-02-2008, 12:16 PM
Isn't it horrible, Valentine's day coming during Lent this year? I'm not RC, but went to a convent for 11 years, so do tend to give up things for Lent and of course, chocolate is a huge sacrifice!

angieh
05-02-2008, 11:01 PM
Hope everyone enjoyed their pancakes?