PDA

View Full Version : What Billy did next...

Gaina
02-02-2008, 07:24 PM
I'm now convinced that 99% of my gray hair is down to this blessed cat!:cat10 ...

On thursday he had an argument with Ned, who lives next door (he actually went into Neds garden to do it aswell, cheeky little devil!). So, mum hauled him unceramoniously out of the hedge and brought him indoors.

A thorough check over showed no scratches, bites or wounds of any description - just a bit of loose hair and his usual post-battle desire to comfort eat (Bill's coat is so thick at the moment that I think Ned will be picking it out of his claws for a few weeks to come).

Anyway, Billy had developed a limp by thursday night which he still has. We have checked him over again several times, but there is no heat or swelling and no blood (dry or fresh) anywhere from his shoulder down to his paw. He does however have scuffed nails in that foot and doesn't like having the very end of his toes touched but it seems to be discomfort rather than actual pain (the other three paws and sets of claws are absolutely fine).

Otherwise he's bright, eating normally and has a lot to say for himself as usual, so I am thinking it's just muscle/tendon strain and he just needs to take it easy for a few days.

Has anyone else had this happen and do you think my assumption that it's just going to right itself is correct? I will wait until monday and see how it is, and if it's not right I will bundle him off to the vet.

alexgirl73
02-02-2008, 08:45 PM
Tbh I have no idea sorry, but I loves the story of billys escapades!

babycakes
02-02-2008, 09:18 PM
I too love the tail told.

No I couldn't say any different than what you are thinking really. The scuffed nails is a bit wierd though as it's only on one foot. It is usually a sign of dragging (using the claws to hold on to anything), like when in a car accident but not on one paw???

Gaina
02-02-2008, 11:59 PM
I too love the tail told.

No I couldn't say any different than what you are thinking really. The scuffed nails is a bit wierd though as it's only on one foot. It is usually a sign of dragging (using the claws to hold on to anything), like when in a car accident but not on one paw???

Hi Babycakes :). I think he was trying to grab things to stop Mum bringing him back through to our garden, and that's why only one set of claws got scuffed. I know he hasn't had an argument with a car because mum says he literally had his breakfast, went outside and started kicking Neds 'aspidestra' :p. We are also tucked away up a nice quite drive, surrounded by gardens.

His paw does seem mildly swollen at the moment, but not any hotter than the other three.....**sigh** he really knows how to put me through the wringer, this boy!

babycakes
03-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Has he stood on something? maybe got something stuck in his paw (like a splinter?) or amybe it was caught in something and he has pulled it free and on doing so he's pulled a muscle in there.

Gaina
03-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Has he stood on something? maybe got something stuck in his paw (like a splinter?) or amybe it was caught in something and he has pulled it free and on doing so he's pulled a muscle in there.

No, we keep checking just to see if any swelling is developing but there is nothing stuck in his paw, and no bites or scratches, just the scuffed nails on one paw. Apparently Ned was really pushing him around so I think what's happened is billy has tried to hold onto a hard surface and that's how his nails are damaged (it turnes out Ned was on Billy's territory after all and they were fighting on the tarmac drive).

I was having a look at some diagrams of cat paws to understand the muscles and tendons and I can understand where he's probably pulled a muscle now.

Today he's still not putting any weight on in when he walks but when he is lying down and having a stretch he 'spreads' his toes on that paw, which he wasn't doing yesterday.

Fortunately he's the Olypic Champion of 'take it easy' so I'm not having a problem making him rest it! haha.

I think we'd to well to have a trip to the vet tomorrow though :).

angieh
03-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Hi Gaina! I do like the way you told the story of Billy and Ned. They sound like a couple of Wild West outlaws!

If Billy is still favouring his tender foot tomorrow I think you would be wise to let the vet take a look - have you tried bathing the foot in warm salt water? That's always my first thought.

dandysmom
03-02-2008, 11:12 PM
I'm sorry about Billy's poorly paw, but can't help but laugh at the way you've told the story...you are another with a way with words!!

Grete
04-02-2008, 08:56 AM
Aww poor Billy! Hope he's feeling much better today :)

Gaina
04-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the good wishes everyone - Billy sends purrs and headbutts :)

I hauled 'Himself' off to the vets this morning because the paw was slightly swollen and he was still limping (it's hard to tell if his paw is swollen because he developes 'snow boots' in the winter with being part Maine Coon). So, I cancelled the wheelchair repair man and made an appointment at the vet.

It took her a while but she found a bite on his paw, so he got a shot of antibiotic and a painkiller along with a weeks' supply of both (drops and tables, there's no way in hell I'd be able to keep him still long enough to have a shot!). And strict instructions to stay indoors until at least wednesday. Fortunatley he's the King of 'Take it Easy' so this won't be a problem. Right now he's sleeping on the water pipe that runs under the floor in the hallway and has already started bearing weight on the paw, so this is a good sign :)

There will be a large bucket of ice cold water waiting for Ned next time he ventures in to my garden!

...and I'm going to marry a vet. Todays excursion cost me £50.11 I can't believe they charge VAT!! The pet may be a luxury but I don't think health care is! :evil:

Fran
04-02-2008, 09:21 PM
I was going to suggest a bite. The only thing that made me suspect this is several years ago one of my cats became under the weather and off her food, she also had a limpish tail. It turned out she had a bite wound in her tail but seriously, you would have needed a magnifying glass to find it but the vet did! Hopefully now he has had antibiotics, he will start to improve. Special cuddles for him tonight for his poorly war wound x

Gaina
04-02-2008, 09:30 PM
I was going to suggest a bite. The only thing that made me suspect this is several years ago one of my cats became under the weather and off her food, she also had a limpish tail. It turned out she had a bite wound in her tail but seriously, you would have needed a magnifying glass to find it but the vet did! Hopefully now he has had antibiotics, he will start to improve. Special cuddles for him tonight for his poorly war wound x

Thank you Fran :). He was starting to put weight on it within a few hours of coming home from the vet so I am hopeful that he medication and a few days indoors will see him as right as rain :)

dandysmom
04-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Good news, Gaina! Hope he'll be back to completely normal very soon, (((hugs)))

angieh
04-02-2008, 11:28 PM
Excellent news Gaina. Glad to hear Billy is on the mend. Bet you're glad you took him to the vet, even if it was costly! Fran's post about her cat is similar to what happened to Merlin years ago, but I didn't spot the problem until after the abscess developed - Merlin very nearly lost his tail. Luckily it did heal and he got the use of his tail back. So a stitch in time really does save a lot of pain for your cat!

Gaina
05-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Excellent news Gaina. Glad to hear Billy is on the mend. Bet you're glad you took him to the vet, even if it was costly! Fran's post about her cat is similar to what happened to Merlin years ago, but I didn't spot the problem until after the abscess developed - Merlin very nearly lost his tail. Luckily it did heal and he got the use of his tail back. So a stitch in time really does save a lot of pain for your cat!

Hello Angeih,

Yes I like to err on the side of caution, and I don't mind the vets thinking I'm an over-protective mummy, but fortunately they are very understanding and most of them are 'cat people' too, which is great :).

He's using the paw normally today and begging me to go outside, but I shall not relent - vet says give it til Wednesday before he goes out and that's what I shall do! :D

He looked like he was desperate to go out this morning to his special place - not for weewee's - and I didn't want him to be uncomfortable so I asked mum to take him to his potty area then bring him in again (I couldn't take him myself as wheelchairs tend not to agree with grass! :-D ) but he was just faffing about so we brought him in again and he used his tray :).

He is quite frank about how utterly bored he is but I think he understands it's for his own good - he soon forgets what he was complaining about and goes back to sleep! haha

angieh
05-02-2008, 06:23 PM
I'm sure Billy will thank you in the long run Gaina, now his poorly paw is getting better. Well done for not relenting and letting him out - not sure what weather is like where you live, but has been v. wet and windy here - the sort of weather that keeps cats indoors anyway - sensible creatures!

Gaina
05-02-2008, 06:26 PM
I'm sure Billy will thank you in the long run Gaina, now his poorly paw is getting better. Well done for not relenting and letting him out - not sure what weather is like where you live, but has been v. wet and windy here - the sort of weather that keeps cats indoors anyway - sensible creatures!

That's exactly it, angieh! It is wet and windy here, so he would have just stuck his nose outside, snorted in disgust then spent ten minutes telling me off for letting it rain! :lol:

Cats, no pleasing them! :roll: