PDA

View Full Version : socs appeal. help us to help him

kelly-joy
30-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Socrates is currently in the care of the UKRCC, with a foster family. As is the case with all Ragdolls that are in our care, Socrates was taken for a health check. He was started on his course of vaccinations and then given an full feline MOT. We were aware that Socs had been on steroids in the past, but contact with his previous vet, has revealed that Socs was diagnosed with asthma back in 2006. His breathing is a concern and following his health check, Socs is to be prescribed steroids and will also need an inhaler.

Sadly, Soc’s health check also revealed a more sinister problem. The vet found that he has an eye shake and she believes this is likely to be caused by a neurological disorder. The vet advised that there are many treatments to help continue Soc’s quality of life, but that diagnosis and treatment are expensive and likely to deplete our charitable funds substantially. She suggested that given this information we may not wish to proceed with any further investigation and may need to consider having him put to sleep. The UKRCC has a strict non destruction policy for any Ragdoll, except in cases where they are suffering and veterinary intervention cannot improve the situation. Socs is still young, at just 5 years old and he is a friendly, happy Ragdoll, who has a good quality of life. Although he does not seem to be in any pain or suffering any other symptoms at this time, we feel that in order to do our best for Socs and his future, that we need to proceed with the diagnostic procedures in order to establish a cause, a prognosis and hopefully a treatment, so that we can ensure he has a good quality of life for as long as possible.

Socs will need blood tests and a head scan in the first instance, to establish the cause of the neurological problem and we will then be guided by the vet, as to what course of action to take. Socs, his welfare and happiness will remain our focus and we shall fund all his treatment. Kelly and Steve will be caring for Socs for as long as needed and if necessary, for the rest of his life, with the financial, practical and emotional support of the UKRCC.

We are all shocked and saddened by the news of Soc’s condition, but we are hopeful we can give him a happy life and we shall make sure he receives the very best of love and care.

The UKRCC is a registered charity and all our work is funded by donations. In order to be able to support Socs and fund his diagnosis and treatment, while still remaining viable as a charity for the other Ragdolls, we are going to need raise funds to help cover his vet expenses.

So today the UKRCC are launchings Soc’s Appeal.

If you feel you would like to help us in providing the care and veterinary treatment that Socs so desperately needs, then please make a donation. Every penny given will be used to fund his veterinary treatment and maintain an excellent quality of life for him, so he can have as many years of Raggie love and fun as possible.

Thank you for your support.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/kelly-joy/100_0839.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/kelly-joy/100_0838.jpg

alexgirl73
30-01-2008, 03:51 PM
what a beautiful boy. I hope he has a long and happy life.

Moli
30-01-2008, 03:52 PM
So sad, he is a beautiful boy, hope he has a long and happy life...

yola
30-01-2008, 04:15 PM
Socs is beautiful as are some of the other cats I have been reading about on your website. You're doing a wonderful job with this lovely breed.

It's such a sad story about him, and also some of the other little worthy fluffs looking for new families. I do hope Socs is able to find a home that will work with your charity to ensure he has a long and healthy life.

kelly-joy
02-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Following the initial stress of his move, Socs had settled so well with his lovely foster family. He had been eating well, was very playful and was enjoying cuddles. Kelly has worked hard grooming Socs and has managed to comb out the majority of his matt's.

Sadly though, Socrate's health has deteriorated over the past 24 hours - he has lost his appetite and his breathing has become much worse, with him now wheezing and generally seeming distressed and unwell. He has seen the vet again today and she wants to x ray his chest and run blood tests, so he is booked in for general anaesthetic next Thursday, 7th February. However the vet has said that if in the mean time Socs continues to deteriorate that he will be admitted over the weekend for investigations sooner. we are all very concerned for Socs but he is in very caring hands with Kelly and Steve and is receiving the very best of veterinary treatment, so we are hoping, following further investigation, his condition will be stabilised.

Many heart felt thanks to all those who have sent us donations for Soc's. In two days we have raised over £360 towards his veterinary treatment and we have the promise of more donations to come. We have been touched and heartened by your support and generosity.

yola
02-02-2008, 02:25 PM
I do hope Socrates rallies round and gets better. Although I don't know him or his situation sometimes when there are so many health obstacles it can be better to help the cat slip away rather than compromise his quality of life. I'm sure however, that you are doing the very best for him and will make absolutely the right decisions.

angieh
02-02-2008, 03:54 PM
So sorry to hear about Socrates' health deteriorating. The UKRCC certainly do a wonderful job for Raggies and you are an excellent ambassador for the charity. I do hope that Socrates recovers. Please let us know how he gets on. Those pictures were stunning!

kelly-joy
10-02-2008, 11:54 AM
Socs had a chest scan and bloods done and is now on steroids and seems to be doing well on them.he sends lots of headbutts and love bites to all who care about him.
I am happy to say that we have now raised £738 towards Socs care many thanks to all who have donated for socs

Kay
10-02-2008, 06:24 PM
I do hope things improve for Socs he is so beautiful. Have you contacted the breed clubs with regard to any financial help with his vet bills. The Colourpoint Cat Club have just had to do this and it did help.
The clubs you could contact are:-
The British Ragdoll Cat Club
Helen Sallows
Welfare Officer (Southern)
Kitten Register
Tel: 01872 571574
Email: welfare@tbrcc.co.uk (welfare@tbrcc.co.uk)

The Progressive Ragdoll Breed Cat Club
Welfare Officer
Jeanette Fitzpatrick
7 Cambridge Way ,
Otley,
West Yorkshire LS21 1DB
Tel: 01943 461852

North of Britain L/H & Semi L/H Cat Club
Secretary
MRS JUNE WANLESS
17 ORCHARD END
HEMINGBROUGH
N.YORKSHIRE
YO8 6RJ

Celtic L/H & Semi L/H Cat Society
Secretary
sharonwinogorski@tiscali.co.uk (sharonwinogorski@tiscali.co.uk)

Colourpointed, Rex Coated and AOV cLUB
Secretary
Mrs Gaynor Thompson
17 Rackenford
Shoeburyness
Essex SS3 8BE
01702 588239
gaynort@blueyonder.co.uk (gaynort@blueyonder.co.uk)

Longhaired & Semi-Longhaired Cat Club
Secretary
Mrs Miranda Ainsworth
27 The Murrays,
Ashstead,
Surrey
KT21 2LU
miranda539@btinternet.com (miranda539@btinternet.com)

The eye tremor or Nystagmus may not be too serious. Angel has this and leads a perfectly normal healthy life. She is 5 and has had this since being young. It tends to show up more if she is stressed or over excited. Stress or trauma is one of the main causes and considering what Socs ahas gone through I should imagine this was the cause.

kelly-joy
10-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Hi I have posted on the TBRCC and the PRBCC forum like I have on here so they know of his course but I am afraid to say neither have donated anything. I guess they have to much to spend on their own courses

Kay
10-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Hi I have posted on the TBRCC and the PRBCC forum like I have on here so they know of his course but I am afraid to say neither have donated anything. I guess they have to much to spend on their own courses
You need to write directly to their Welfare officer or their Secretary as it will have to go to a committee meeting. It is worth trying all the clubs I mentioned as I said we got a decent response from some of the clubs we approached obviously some didn't. Definitely worth a try though as most clubs have a Welfare section of some sort.