PDA

View Full Version : Life on Mars >>> Ashes to Ashes

yola
28-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Well for all us Life on Mars fans out there, the BBC has started trailering the potentially excellent Ashes to Ashes when Gene Hunt and his two sidekicks have moved forward into the early 80s and down to London . . . complete with bright red Audi Quatrro!!

It's time travel with a twist; he is met in the 80s by a 2008 woman police officer who (by all accounts) has more b*lls than Gene himself.

No date of broadcast yet, still saying 'coming soon' :D

CathyW
28-01-2008, 01:41 PM
i cant wait, really enjoyed life on mars. took me back to my younger days LOL

yola
28-01-2008, 02:50 PM
That's why I'm really looking forward to this, it's my formative years that it'll be covering - oh happy days :roll:

angieh
28-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Another "special" Catsey link! I loved Life on Mars too - didn't the 70's look dingy - I'm not sure I remembered it quite as bad as that! Keep an eye out for the launch date of Ashes ....

dinahsmum
28-01-2008, 05:12 PM
:smt039 Hi Yola!
Love those snakeskin shoes in the trailer!
"Fire up the Quattro, Raymondo"
I don't know the date either, except February

We'll miss Sam though. And I guess there's no 'mad, back in time or in a coma?' this time .... the lads are 10 years older and we're in the eighties.
Not a special time for me at all - child raising duties for me and I wasn't particularly into the music. Was it 'New Romantics' etc - Adam Ant el al?

Edit - starts 7 Feb. That must be a week on Thursday
Here's a link http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/ashestoashes/

yola
29-01-2008, 01:51 AM
Aha! We have a date :-D Excellent news . . . there was nothing when I looked earlier today!

I think the 2008 'tec' does a bit of backwards time travel, not sure what the trigger for that will be except, again, some kind of accident. Oh dear, I feel the anorak coming on again in respect of the theories . . . do you remember that mad website with people theorizing all kinds of quantum physics and ancient biblical references to Sam Tylers' time leap?? :shock:

And the music, it was all a bit indulgent, but my bag was harder edged stuff like pre-girlie Human League, Japan, Soft Cell and B52s rather than the pure pop stuff. Mind you, Adam and the Ants started off very punk before they reinvented themselves as the peacock pirates :-D

dinahsmum
29-01-2008, 11:59 AM
. Oh dear, I feel the anorak coming on again in respect of the theories . . . do you remember that mad website with people theorizing all kinds of quantum physics and ancient biblical references to Sam Tylers' time leap?? :shock:
They're still there! :) http://domeofstars.com/forum/index.php

Kim
29-01-2008, 01:44 PM
Will be watching it, but like DM, 80's not such a special time for me either. Never listened to the music for one thing!!!

yola
29-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Looking at DM's 'anorak' site, ;) I read that LoM has been remade for the U.S. market???? U.S. DM, do you have BBC America coz they are showing the UK version on there apparently :D

dinahsmum
07-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Tonight's the night - videos on ladies! :)
A radio review I heard earlier in the week wasn't too enthusiastic about Episode 1, but said it would probably take more than one episode to really get hooked. Unlike LoM, which grabbed us from day 1.

See you here tomorrow for our considered exchange of views?

yola
07-02-2008, 02:27 PM
I will be watching avidly :D

And yes, synchronise watches for full critique here tomorrow :-D

dinahsmum
07-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Farmers' Market tomorrow and you have to be early to get the best choice - so let's make a date for about coffee time :)

dinahsmum
08-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Well need to wait and watch a couple more before I decide whether I like it or not. I haven't warmed to Alex as I did to Sam (why could that possibly be? :roll: :) ;) ) and I don't like the way she's describing her 'hallucinatory state' etc. And I haven't taken to Molly either. Stupid girl - should have stayed in the car as she was told!
I do like the curly perm! Shaz doesn't seem as human as Annie (what happened to Annie?)
But it's not LoM and it is early days.

Here's what the anoraks are saying. 12 pages so far! :roll:
http://domeofstars.com/forum/index.php?topic=3165.0

yola
08-02-2008, 01:51 PM
Ok, here's my tuppence worth . . . I am struggling with not so much the Alex character as the actress chosen to play her. I can't put my finger on it, but it smacks of being rushed and forced casting rather than intuitive casting. I atually think Shaz could develop well, the girl has acted well so far, has interesting looks and I suspect will end up wiping the floor with all the detectives.

I'm also worried a bit about the three stooges. They seem to be turning into caricatures of themselves.

There was some good moments; script, acting and of course music-wise. Although again, I feel the music is somewhat 'overlaid' rather than being integral to the storyline.

As you say Hilary, early days . . . I'm going to go and have a mooch around the anorak site to see what those with real insight and little life have to say ;)

yola
08-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Oh, I forgot to say; (this is my anorak moment) the sets were all wrong too. Nowhere near Tower Bridge is there a white, peeling warehouse - nor was there ever; architecturally it's all wrong. It's actually the old Thorn EMI building in Hayes :roll:

The 80s authenticity just didn't hang together for me . . . yet!

dinahsmum
08-02-2008, 03:10 PM
This is an interesting take (not mine - I've lifted it from elsewhere)

Alex is basing her Gene, Chris and Ray on what Sam had told her about them during his (how short?) time back in the present. Despite being a psychiatrist (psychologist! - whatever), Alex wouldn't be able to re-create the exact same characters that Sam had in his head so maybe that's why they are a bit more like caricatures and parody's of themselves - it's because they are poor copies.

angieh
08-02-2008, 03:31 PM
This is an interesting take (not mine - I've lifted it from elsewhere)

Alex is basing her Gene, Chris and Ray on what Sam had told her about them during his (how short?) time back in the present. Despite being a psychiatrist (psychologist! - whatever), Alex wouldn't be able to re-create the exact same characters that Sam had in his head so maybe that's why they are a bit more like caricatures and parody's of themselves - it's because they are poor copies.

Which is why Alex keeps doing finger quotes when she says their names! That's cute! I enjoyed it - have to say but I'm not especially picky. V glad OH decided NOT to watch it - he would have been huffing all the way through!

Kim
08-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Hmm, on the whole I was disappointed with it. However I loved LoM so much I expected that really. So sad to discover Sam died!! I do agree with you DM and Lola. I know the old EMI building Yola, used to live quite near there!!! Now that is nostalia! LOL I will keep watching as haven't really given it chance yet. I love the curly perms too!!

yola
08-02-2008, 07:44 PM
used to live quite near there!!! Now that is nostalia!

Me too . . . except it was in use then :shock:

babycakes
08-02-2008, 08:09 PM
I have to say I loved the first one....not impressed with this it's all the same and I won't be rushing to watch the next one I'm afraid... Rushed repetetive and basicaly boring

Kim
08-02-2008, 10:50 PM
Me too . . . except it was in use then :shock:

Did you live in Hayes then Yola? I used to live on the Southall/Greenford borders, just off Greenford Road. I went to school in Southall. My brother was a PC in Hayes.

Sorry to divert from the origianl topic, but it is a small world isn't it? ;)

dinahsmum
13-02-2008, 10:40 AM
I watched the first episode again last night (yes, I know, how sad am I? :roll: )
I enjoyed it so much more than first viewing and felt much more 'sympatico' with Alex. Is Gene the 'controller'? he used to say to Sam that he couldn't go home etc etc and in this episode, after Leyton was captured and Alex was disappointed that it wasn't her ticket home, he said something like 'no - you've got to stay here for now'.
Still can't warm to Molly :?

yola
13-02-2008, 11:13 AM
DM - I could do with watching it again. Did they re-run it or did you record it? I haven't been near the TV since the weekend :shock:

Kim, I lived in Hillingdon, but had lots of friends in Hayes as my school was in the catchment. Used to hang around in Hayes Town far too much for my own good as I fancied some poor lad that lived off Coldharbour Lane :roll:

My first design job was in Southall (down towards Norwood Green) and my Aunt and Uncle lived in Greenford, but up towards Sudbury Town station.

So I know that whole area ever so well, and yes it IS a small world LOL!

dinahsmum
13-02-2008, 01:12 PM
I'd recorded it Yola.

Here's a 'lift' from The Railway Arms, where some poor anorak has actually transcribed what I was trying to say in my previous post about gene being the controlling factor

Sam: Look, I was thinking, guv. I know having me here is difficult for you. What if I went back?

Gene: To Hyde?

Sam: Is that possible?

Gene: I'll get on the blower.

He sits down and picks up the phone. Sam leans forward, disbelieving.

Sam: You can do that? You can just send me back to where I came from?

Gene: Yeah.

He taps the prongs on top of the phone. Sam closes his eyes.

Gene: Hello, is that the Wizard of Oz?

Sam opens his eyes again. Gene holds the phone against his shoulder.

Gene: The Wizard'll sort it out. It's because of the wonderful things he does.

He puts the phone down. Sam turns to leave. At the door-

Gene: You were transferred here, Sam, at your own request. I didn't ask for you. You wanted to come.

What did he say to Alex the other night?

Gene:
You put in for this.

Gene:
Your presence is required just a little bit longer 'round here. By me.

yola
13-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Possibly an interesting theory . . . BUT there was only ever meant to be a single series of LoM, do you think they are (again) reading too much into it? After all, the writers did say that all these wild and wonderful theories are completely new to them :-) and both impressed and amused them.

PoshPuss
13-02-2008, 04:15 PM
Hiya! Hope you don't mind me butting in on this thread :)
I loved LOM and sooo looked forward to ATA. like you Yola, this was my era. (born 1960... there said it!) and I relly wanted to go back and recall it. After the trailers I was excited; first of all Gene and his Quattro, the curly perms etc. but the story has left me a bit down. Its almost as if they want us to suss it out for them, then they will write the ending to make us happy. Will her parents survive the car bomb, change history, no Molly etc. I dunno... love Gene tho. He's my new crush. Aw Gawd, can't believe I said that... hahaha!

yola
13-02-2008, 04:19 PM
Hey PP - the more the merrier, any fans of LoM and A2A welcome :-D

Did you see Phillip Glennister on Jonathan Woss? I concede he is rather cute isn't he . . . and I was rather surprised at his 'new man' creds in terms of how he was gushing about his kids :D

PoshPuss
13-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Oh he's got somethin alright! Philip looks a great guy and I guess there has to be a lil bit of Gene in him. :-D
I watched him on Breakfast this morning too; yes he's an accomplished actor and a 'new man' too,:p

Loved im in Cranford; those breeches, they do it everytime!

dinahsmum
13-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Post away Posh! All 'Martians' welcome :)

PoshPuss
13-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Thanks DM ! I feel right at home here!

angieh
13-02-2008, 05:09 PM
But ..... remember to

"Stay out of Camberwick Green!"

dinahsmum
13-02-2008, 05:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRNCwlHblCM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRNCwlHblCM)

angieh
13-02-2008, 05:13 PM
Hey PP - the more the merrier, any fans of LoM and A2A welcome :-D

Did you see Phillip Glennister on Jonathan Woss? I concede he is rather cute isn't he . . . and I was rather surprised at his 'new man' creds in terms of how he was gushing about his kids :D

This is sort of my definition of a good actor. Someone who in "real life" is nothing like the characters he plays. Bit like Denzel ..... and Michael Gambon and Max Beezley and that chap who played the tough soldier in Rome and of course, Johnny Depp.

PoshPuss
13-02-2008, 05:36 PM
" BOLLYKNICKERS".... WOW, thats got to be the best nickname yet. I 'd love to have a pound coin for everyone who puts that/ gets that name on their Valentine card tomorrow ... :D

dinahsmum
13-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Change of avatar, in recognition of the new series.

PoshPuss
13-02-2008, 05:55 PM
That's clever. I'm hopeless at technology, how do you do those things DM?

dinahsmum
13-02-2008, 05:58 PM
If you click 'user CP' (lh side) then click edit avatar picture you can upload a pic from your PC

angieh
14-02-2008, 12:52 AM
But ..... remember to

"Stay out of Camberwick Green!"

It's probably bad manners to quote your own quote, but in recognition of dinahsmum's new avatar!

dinahsmum
15-02-2008, 09:53 AM
Okay! I am now a fan :)
I now enjoy Alex's 'knowingness' - "Good morning subconscious constructs" etc and I love the undercurrent between Alex and Gene.
I just hope we get some ends tied up eventually but I'm bracing myself for more mystery

PoshPuss
15-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Grandson Tom walked into the room for a drink of water just as Alex opened the lift door to Daniels flat... try explaining that to an 8 year old... yikes:oops:

Good show last night tho, numnuts ... :-D

dinahsmum
15-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Mm. yes PP. It has a bit more raunch than LoM

angieh
15-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Was the bit of Gene's team watching THE WEDDING in their office that believable? What a witch Alex's mother is turning out to be!

CathyW
15-02-2008, 11:23 PM
missed it last night,so OH is going to down load it for us to watch over the weekend.

dinahsmum
23-02-2008, 01:04 PM
What did you reckon to this week's episode? I was fearful that they would 'pull' it, given the subject matter and the court decision that day. But no.
It is very very different to Life on Mars but I really like it. Love the frisson between Gene and Alex. Now those two are bound to get it together aren't they?
Loved the braces-pinging!
Enjoying the MCPs coming round to 80s enlightenment.

angieh
23-02-2008, 04:32 PM
I think it is fine so long as you don't try to compare it to LOM and that's the problem as far as I'm concerned, I can't stop comparing it. Also think that although the sexism is tackled they seem to be being very current pc about racism. I don't like how (IMO) they seem to pussy foot about using today's attitutes in a programme that's meant to depict life in 1981. Again, IMO, it's a bit like trying to depict the battle of Trafalgar using the "red" team and the "blue" team.

angieh
06-03-2008, 09:45 PM
So who's going to comment on tonight's A2As? My crit last week seemed to put a big wet blanket over it! Can't believe you've all given up watching :shock:

Mags
06-03-2008, 09:59 PM
I've never watched it .....sorry Angie;)

yola
06-03-2008, 11:14 PM
Not given up watching; watched it again tonight. However I'm really struggling to (a) retain any memory of the story lines and (b) empathise with any of the characters.

Whilst the one-liners are funny and relevant to the time and the music, of course, is superb, this for me falls very short of what it has been marketed as - unmissable TV.

I will watch the inevitable re-runs just to make sure in my own mind, but overall; a big disappointment :(

angieh
06-03-2008, 11:33 PM
I have to say I do agree Yola. Makes me want to watch LOM again though! (& I still think the music was better on LOM too - but that was my decade.)

yola
07-03-2008, 08:00 AM
I think the music seemed more integrated in LoM. Here is just comes across as overlaid - sometimes almost intrusive!

PoshPuss
07-03-2008, 04:10 PM
As much as I love Gene Hunt I agree. They have overplayd thier cards with A2A. Too fussy storylines and laying the 80's link on with a trowel for me. Still watchable, but unmissable, no. I can't empathise with 'her' and her troubles, she's too know it all. Perhaps because she knows she's in a time warp situation and I really couldn't care if she saves her cruel mum or not. Will miss the gene genie tho, he's summin else!

angieh
07-03-2008, 05:05 PM
I thought there were some funny/sad/thoughtful moments last night with the gay storyline. I also think the pretty little WPC may turn out to have a crush on Alex!

Kim
07-03-2008, 09:20 PM
As much as I love Gene Hunt I agree. They have overplayd thier cards with A2A. Too fussy storylines and laying the 80's link on with a trowel for me. Still watchable, but unmissable, no. I can't empathise with 'her' and her troubles, she's too know it all. Perhaps because she knows she's in a time warp situation and I really couldn't care if she saves her cruel mum or not. Will miss the gene genie tho, he's summin else!

I thought there were some funny/sad/thoughtful moments last night with the gay storyline. I also think the pretty little WPC may turn out to have a crush on Alex!

yes, I agree with both of you!

angieh
20-03-2008, 09:55 PM
Ashes to Ashes in 5 mins if there are any peeps left who are still sticking with it!

yola
21-03-2008, 12:14 AM
Yes, I watched it, and the BBC4 repeat of last week's too :roll: . Despite what I have said, I think it will merit watching again as I'm now totally torn between it being an amusing but slightly shallow diversion, and something that's really clever and special.

angieh
21-03-2008, 12:18 AM
Yes - it's funny that way, got the same feeling tonight. But I do like the interplay between the characters - I think the scriptwriting is quite good. Still not sure about Gene!

Classic Tabby
21-03-2008, 09:20 AM
I love it, just imagine it as the battle we play out in our heads everyday then it'll make sense!
Becky

yola
21-03-2008, 10:40 AM
I love it, just imagine it as the battle we play out in our heads everyday then it'll make sense!
Becky

That's an interesting perspective. Yes, we are all a mass of contradictions and the complex scenarios going on in most of our minds are belied by the often logical and calm exterior . . . well, speaking for myself anyway :oops:

PoshPuss
21-03-2008, 01:06 PM
I'm still watching,but just for the Gene Genie; I'm a bit disappointed in the whole Alex story :(
Will be sorry to see it end next week. I thought they had given us a ray of hope when Shaz 'died'... here goes, I thought, what's her story?

CathyW
22-03-2008, 08:54 PM
im still sticking with it, next weeks the last one isnt it. :(

angieh
22-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Yes, I think so boys mum!

PoshPuss
03-04-2008, 09:15 PM
First Thursday without the Gene Genie... i MISS im :-)
What did anyone make of the series finale, good twist or did you see it coming ? The jury's still out in our house. I thought it was ok, but OH thought it stank!

angieh
03-04-2008, 09:22 PM
I thought it was a great twist and I didn't see it coming at all - I suspected the godfather quite a bit. I've no one to discuss it with here as my OH gave up after the first episode - couldn't stick it after LoM! I enjoyed it all in all and if you do think of it as Alex obviously did then it did hang together. Interesting what happens in the next series next year - I mean how they follow on with explaining Alex's thinking, which must surely alter now???!!!

Must be great fun being a script writer!

yola
03-04-2008, 10:01 PM
TELL ME!!! I didn't see it! I thought there was something insiduous about the bloke with the beard (the godfather) . . . did he turn out to be Alex's Dad? Was he the clown?

Don't worry about spoiling it . . . I just want to KNOW :shock:

angieh
03-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Well Yola, if you're sure? Alex's dad knew about the mother and the godfather having an affair and it was the dad who planned the car bomb so as to kill himself, his wife and his daughter. He hired the bomber who was in prison to rig the detonator to the cassette player and his law firm got the man out of prison in order to do it. That's it in a nutshell - but an extra little twist - in this time frame, with Alex as an adult witness, it was Gene who came and scooped up the young Alex, not the godfather.

Oh and the dad was the clown too!

yola
03-04-2008, 10:12 PM
Interesting! Now the clown's a bit of a red herring - a bit of a so-what in my book, but there is some profound significance in the Gene/young Alex thing. Maybe not in the bearing of the overall plot, but it has a positive resonance for me. Not sure why.

angieh
03-04-2008, 10:14 PM
Well, it could alter the time line ...... that's one reason why I am interested how the plot will be taken forward in the next series.

PoshPuss
04-04-2008, 08:59 AM
How did older Alex explain the younger Alex? I mean there are two of them in the world at the same time and both have met. Doesn't that interfere with the space -time continuum ( ref: Back to the Future :D )
Oh its so confusing...

angieh
04-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Can't remember exactly PoshPuss, but I don't think adult Alex and child Alex actually spoke to each other or interacted in any way.

PoshPuss
04-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Ah yes, I see. So they must avoid each other from now on then. Although if she knows that the bearded godfather is no longer her saviour how will it affect Molly in the future.
Please put us out of our misery soon Auntie Beeb!