PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin Warning

Amber
27-01-2008, 12:09 AM
When somebody mentions the word 'vitamin', most of us tend to think nothing but good things, however I just wanted to let people know of the dangers of 'hypervitaminosis' which is basically an over supplementation of vitamins.

Vitamin A:
Sources: Liver, liver oils (cod liver oil etc), eggs, butter
Deficieny: night blindness, skin lesions
Excess: Bone pain and malformation, fusion of the cervical vertebrae (in the neck) which is irreversible.

Vitamin D:
Sources: liver oils, canned tuna, pilchards, canned salmon
Deficieny: Rickets (brittle bones)
Excess: Calcification (bone formation) in soft tissues - this is reversible

Of course the vitamins are required for healthy body function, but all of these are contained in a complete balanced diet. Of course these can be given in moderation, but I just wanted to make everyone aware of the problems caused when these particular vitamins are given in excess.

miki
27-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the warning ;)

John
27-01-2008, 11:21 AM
never gave feeding canned tuna a lot of thought untill reading this

Mags
27-01-2008, 12:44 PM
Thanks for posting that Amber..:)

Elaine
27-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Why would any one be over supplementing their cats with these vitamins? I guess those who feed a raw diet only???
I know that feeding too much things like fresh/raw liver can cause hypervitaminosis but if we are feeding an every day conventional complete cat food and occasional treats then it shouldnt be a very big issue. And for those feeding a raw diet, I would assume that they have looked into it very carefully before doing so.

Amber
27-01-2008, 03:36 PM
Why would any one be over supplementing their cats with these vitamins? I guess those who feed a raw diet only???
I know that feeding too much things like fresh/raw liver can cause hypervitaminosis but if we are feeding an every day conventional complete cat food and occasional treats then it shouldnt be a very big issue. And for those feeding a raw diet, I would assume that they have looked into it very carefully before doing so.

You would hope so and I know for most people it wouldn't be an issue :) just after seeing a case last week of a cat being fed liver every day, and having to be euthanised due to it's cervical vertebrae being fused, I decided to post.

Elaine
27-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Poor cat, it must have been in alot of pain. xxx

Kim
27-01-2008, 06:16 PM
I've never thought of giving my cats vitiamins or the dogs. I think that if they have a good balanced diet they don't need them. That goes for us too!!

Thanks for posting though.

Elaine
27-01-2008, 06:23 PM
The only time I have ever given a cat vitamins was to Winston. I gave him b vitamins, which are water soluble, and trace iron to prevent anemia which crf cats are quite prone to.

angieh
28-01-2008, 05:25 PM
You would hope so and I know for most people it wouldn't be an issue :) just after seeing a case last week of a cat being fed liver every day, and having to be euthanised due to it's cervical vertebrae being fused, I decided to post.

Thanks for posting this warning Amber. Poor cat - it's as you and others have said, if you are giving your cat a balanced diet (and it is so much easier for animals than for people I think!) you would hope that it shouldn't be an issue. But it is better to stress the point and be forewarned.