PDA

View Full Version : Wallpaper or paint?

Kazz
26-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Right trying to decide if with the hall, stairs and landing I repaper (already wallpaper on) or remove the paper and get it plastered then paint it?????any thoughts. There is no window on the stairs or landing but a little light coming in from the front door glass and the glass either side. ie its UPVC door you know with lass either side then door in centre.

Any thoughts and if so any pics of something you've seen and liked or better still done yourself.

smudgley
26-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Well it's paint all the way here. :-D When we had the building work done, the whole house (excet one room) was moved / demolished / made bigger, so all of them had to be replastered & we have paint in every room. I think it's great, so easy & it looks tidy. It's a bit plain, but we like plain so suits us fine. :)

EmmaG
26-01-2008, 05:06 PM
Paint here too, there are some really nice paints you can buy now, with different effects to them.

dandysmom
26-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Definitely paint for me! Wallpaper is a bit "busy" for my taste; I like the plain look of paint........

Kazz
26-01-2008, 06:54 PM
See went for wallpaper orginaly as the walls were a bit "dodgy" level wise...:) but seriously considering the paint option.

dinahsmum
26-01-2008, 06:57 PM
There seems to be a fashion for the one wall in a striking wallpaper and the rest in complimentary paint, again. However, I tend to agree that paint is clean and simple looking, (relatively) easy to change by repainting and even simpler to semi-change by putting different mirrors, pictures, small shelves etc. :)

alexgirl73
26-01-2008, 07:23 PM
I'd never go back to wallpaper lol, too much of a nightmare to do, whereas paint is nice and easy to redo when the mood takes and it looks much nicer too I think.

MrsH
26-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Definitely paint. The problems we've had with wallpaper! OH and I can never agree on things like this so we end up with a compromise that neither of us really likes.

As his "good-taste gene" is sometimes severly compromised and as he can close his eyes to anything around him, he manages to put up with the end product but I am never happy with the results. He says I'm too picky! Huh!

yola
26-01-2008, 08:18 PM
LOL!!! MrsH at 'the good taste gene'! My ex-h was like that - didn't have a clue what he was looking at, wanted me to choose and then said I was bossing him around when I DID choose . . .can't win :roll: Thankfully OH and I have very similar tastes which is a good thing :D

I have a mixture of both, lots of lovely farrow and ball atop lining paper, but in the hallways and stairway I have creme/white wide striped paper running all the way up to the top of the house, it's very subtle and nice. One of the bedrooms has a toile de Jouey blue and beige pattern paper(looks a bit like spode but on the walls) and the sitting room as a pretty pale turquoise lattice pattern on a beige background.

I suppose coz we live in a Regency house we've been inclined to try and create a complimentary feel within.

But to answer your question - both paper AND paint, each has their place (IMO)! And OH is extremely good at papering which always helps ;)