PDA

View Full Version : Whiska's kitten biscuits and hyperactivity?

Tinker
26-01-2008, 10:00 AM
We usually feed the purina kitten biscuits and whiska's pouches, but the shop had run out of the purina biscuits when we last went so we got whiska's kitten biscuits instead.

We tried to change the hooligans over gradually, but once they had tasted he whiska's biscuits they wouldn't eat the purina biscuits or their pouches unless there was nothing left.

They used to play a lot, and then crash out and sleep afterwards. They also used to sleep much of the night. Since going onto the whiska's biscuits they have stopped crashing out and sleeping after they have played. They also wake up up by meowing and charging round like lunatics at 3am and don't go back to sleep again.

I've had one too many sleepless nights now. The little hooligans are going back on purina as soon as I get to the shop. In the mean time they will have their auntie Tinkers cat biscuits instead, it won't hurt them for a couple of days especially as they pick at them anyway.

Has anyone else ever found that whiska's kitten biscuits turn their little darlings into total hyperactive monsters? I can only liken it to the effect sugary foods have on my friends son.

Elaine
26-01-2008, 11:00 AM
Has anyone else ever found that whiska's kitten biscuits turn their little darlings into total hyperactive monsters? I can only liken it to the effect sugary foods have on my friends son.

Thats exactly it Tink. Whiskas is full of additives and sugar to make it more appealing to cats, thats why 8 out of 10 cats prefer it;) Personally, if I wanted to feed my cats junk food, I buy them a McDonalds:lol:
Hope you get the hooligans back on track xxx

Tinker
26-01-2008, 06:41 PM
I have now got another bag of purina, and compared the ingredients....

Purina top 2 ingredients: Chicken (20%), Rice (14%)
Whiskas top few ingredients: Vegetable protein extracts, Cereals, Meat and animal derivatives (Chicken min. 4% in the small kibbles)

I won't be sticking with purina as the price has gone up by a massive 30%, I know in the current economic climate the price is bound to go up but I feel 30% is extortionate, but at least now I know to look at the ingredients list of the next brand we try for the hooligans!

dinahsmum
26-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Have a look at Burns http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/
My boys do well on it, and I don't think it has too much rubbish.

Edit: Here you go - chicken or fish variety

CHICKEN & BROWN RICE
- chicken from non-caged birds

Contains: Brown Rice, Poultry Meat Meal,Maize, Poultry Fat, Chicken Liver, Seaweed, Vitamins and Minerals
Typical Analysis/100g: Protein 28.0%, Oil 12.0%, Fibre 2.0%, Ash 7.0%, Vit A 15,000 iu/kg, Vit D3 1200 iu/kg, Vit E 70 iu/kg, Moisture 8%, Copper 18mg/kg, Sodium 0.2%, Calcium 2.16%, Phosphorus 1.1%, Magnesium 0.12%, Taurine 500mg/kg, EFA 2.6%

OCEAN FISH

Contains: Brown Rice, Fish Meal, Maize,Fish Oil, Chicken Liver, Seaweed, Vitamins and Minerals
Typical Analysis/100g: Protein 28.0%, Oil 12.0%, Fibre 2.0%, Ash 7.0%, Vit A 15,000 iu/kg, Vit D3 1200 iu/kg, Vit E 70 iu/kg, Moisture 8%, Copper 18mg/kg, Sodium 0.2%, Calcium 1.25%, Phosphorus 0.77%, Magnesium 0.09%, Taurine 500mg/kg, EFA 7.8%

and kitten food

DUCK & RICE FOR KITTENS

Contains: Duck Meat Meal (min 39%), Brown Rice (min 21%), White Rice (min 20%), Maize, Duck Fat, Chicken Liver, Seaweed, Minerals and Vitamins.
Typical Analysis/100g: Protein 30.0%, Oil 14.0%, Fibre 2.0%, Ash 7.0%, Vit A 15,000 iu/kg, Vit D3 1200 iu/kg, Vit E 70 iu/kg, Moisture 8%, Copper 18mg/kg, Sodium 0.2%, Calcium 2.10%, Phosphorus 1.15%, Magnesium 0.12%, Taurine 500mg/kg, EFA 2.6%

'They' used to say Whiskas had something addictive in it. Remember the ads, with kitty sniffing several bowls but only eating the Whiskas?

swerv
08-02-2008, 11:20 PM
does this apply to the whiska's treats?

alannaccousar
10-02-2008, 12:03 AM
No way, MJ eats whiska's kitten biscuits & i get woken up every morning between 4am & 5am, do u really think it could b the food?

angieh
10-02-2008, 12:28 AM
This is worrying stuff. Merlin seemingly (when he's well) will only now eat Whiskas Oh So Meaty or Oh So Fishy. I may have to go and find out what's in that when my eyes are more awake. When he's poorly he has Chicken and Rice or Duck and Rice Sensitivity Royal Canin - mind you, that's Whiskas too now isn't it?

Elaine
10-02-2008, 09:39 AM
Its a bit like giving a kid the choice of a tube of smarties or an apple, if you get what i mean.
Angie, I seriously wouldnt worry too much about what Merlin eats, the important thing for him at his age is that he eats something. Winston, in his life time, ate mostly Felix and Go-Cat, which aren't that much better but i do wonder if these things contributed to his CRF as they have a fairly high phos content. Even though, he did have a long and good life.
With Bernie and Eva, I try to be a little more careful about which foods i feed them, but does this mean they will live longer than Winston did? Only time will tell I guess.
For those who's kittens wake them up in the early hours, sometimes it helps to keep a little of their food back until before bed time and a little play session to tire them out as cats do tend to play, eat, groom, sleep.

John
10-02-2008, 11:56 AM
For sometime I have been feeding Millie Royal Canin furrball intensive. but reading the above I think I will start reading the packets to see whats in it

angieh
10-02-2008, 01:17 PM
I think there's a website that tells you what's in cat food. Haven't got time at the mo to google it - does anyone have the link to hand?

Mags
10-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Here's a breakdown of what is actually in your pet food ........

http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/Articles/understanding_pet_food_labels.htm

angieh
10-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Thanks Mags!

Elaine
10-02-2008, 05:16 PM
I cannt get the link to open:?

Mags
10-02-2008, 05:54 PM
I cannt get the link to open:?
Strange Elaine, it opens for me .........

http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/Articles/understanding_pet_food_labels.htm

John
10-02-2008, 06:17 PM
it also opened for me..

Mags
10-02-2008, 06:22 PM
it also opened for me..
Thanks John, glad you were able to open it.. :D

angieh
10-02-2008, 09:35 PM
I opened it too! Thanks Mags.

Elaine
10-02-2008, 11:46 PM
Nope, still doesnt open for me:roll:

melzy
06-05-2008, 10:30 AM
my cats act so werid on wiskas i wont let them touch it,one day last mouth i ran out and go my two wiskas biscuits parcle thing wi cheese filling and and after i gave them it they went nuts my youngest tryed to run up the wall at one point like he was possest,it freaked me out i think they put catnip and other stuff in it :shock: :?

alannaccousar
06-05-2008, 10:06 PM
It makes him so hyper. I havent been feeding him it recently and he seems to have calmed down a little. He still has his crazy time in the mornings when hes like a little taz devil, LOL. Do they eva calm down??? LOL

Sweeney Todd
08-05-2008, 06:37 PM
You wait till the wife gets on here....She's had to do alot of reasurch into cat food, and you wouldn't belive some of the stuff that went in them...

Fiorella-Bella
08-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Yes, I agree when she gets here she is the Queen Mum of Cat Food! She knows it all and if she gets asked something new..she'll get the answer in no time at all! She knows her stuff that's for sure!!! Where is she S.T?

Sweeney Todd
08-05-2008, 09:56 PM
She's here.

Fiorella-Bella
08-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Where is she? Under Mummsy again?

Elaine
08-05-2008, 10:04 PM
You wait till the wife gets on here....She's had to do alot of reasurch into cat food, and you wouldn't belive some of the stuff that went in them...

Oh but I would and its frightening but sadly personal budgets and clever marketing often determine what we feed our pets.

Sweeney Todd
08-05-2008, 10:06 PM
Tesco's finest is one of the best, and not to expensive

fancyabrew
25-07-2008, 09:20 PM
our cat has bad teeth so we feed her mainly TD, but with some tuna and crab. But she LOVES Whiskers Dentabits and I mean LOVES she'll do anything for them its the perfect bribe. You can throw them miles and she'll run after them, and spend the next few minutes trying to hunt for them. God knows whats in them

Nikki
10-08-2008, 02:14 PM
Our kitten joined our family two weeks ago.. and kept her on the same food as her original family. Whiskers kitten pouches! This was only to be for a little while, as I wanted to wean her off it anyway. Now, I'm new to this kitten world, and I understand that kittens like to play.. etc.., etc. But a few minutes after eating Whiskas, her pupils widen, and she becomes jittery... and bombs around the house like a kitty possessed! And I mean possessed. Claws out! Hissing! Sctratching and climbing walls/furniture/curtains. At first we thought 'Hey, she needs her exercise'... Now I'm not too sure. I have already started to wean her off the whiskas and so far so good... she has started to calm down.

fionalovesTheo
29-07-2009, 04:00 PM
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs131.snc1/5608_216054895289_652720289_8046150_3604889_n.jpg

http://www.whiskas.co.uk/Campaign.aspx?type=5

Please Vote for my cat to Win Whiskas for Life. Hes Name is Theo and hes a very lovely kitten.. He is from Rainham and loves to play all day long. Thanks for your support! [/COLOR][COLOR="Purple"]Love Fi and Theo xx

Tanya
29-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Oli had Royal Canin kitten food as a kitten and my new kittens have Whiskas kitten wet and dry food (they were eating this when I bought them). I can honestly say I have not noticed a difference in their behavior.

laragreg
07-08-2009, 09:10 AM
When I bought fluffy she was already on whiskas kitten food she's now nearly 3 and I still feed her the whiskas dry food, She just sleeps and sleeps :lol: Then again its what ragdolls do :lol:.
She not a cat that eats it all in one go she will nibble and always has done.

Is it worth changing her diet now? she's very healthy, good weight never had any illness.:?

angieh
07-08-2009, 10:40 AM
I've been re-reading this thread as my future new kitten's owner tells me that although the kittens are still sometimes suckling she is also giving them Whiskers kitten biscuits. NOOO! She has said she will let me have some when I go to pick him up but I will be weaning him onto another kibble just as soon as I can. I suspect that it affects some kittens more than others, but I would rather be safe than sorry. I'll have a look at the Burns when I go kitten shopping later today.

Tanya
08-08-2009, 10:08 PM
I am going to continue using Whiskas for my three. Oli seems to prefer Whiskas to Royal Canin and the vet says that he is in perfect health. He is a very large cat with a stunningly clean, soft and silky coat (and no he hasnt been using Pantene!! ;) ) What more could I ask for?!

catwoman999
09-08-2009, 04:52 PM
WHISKAS dry food is made of much lower quality protein than premium brands ie. Hills etc.
But different strokes for different folks (cats) lol....
Though what should be noted is Whiskas Adult dry food has 8% Ash,whereas premium brands have around 6-6.5%. This is important because Ash contributes to urinary crystals in male cats....again some cats are supceptable and some not. But I wouldn't want to take that gamble with my cats health...... James Well Beloved dry cat food is the best in my eyes, even has cranberry in there.

laragreg
09-08-2009, 05:47 PM
This is a very good thread:) , I'd never looked at whats in cat foods I just always thought whiskas was about the best.

catwoman999
09-08-2009, 06:13 PM
Whiskas isn't bad, but it is far from the best... Maybe in the supermarket range, its better than most. Though it must be stressed what is good for one cat, may not the best for an other. They are all individual... It isn't until later in life, when health fails that sometimes diet can be a pointer.... I am a bit of a cat food Nazi... I love James Wellbeloved Dry food, expensive but worth it! Though my persian who has had operations for his urinary stones, is on RC wet food, mixed in with lots of water to flush his bladder out. The expensive Hills dry prescription diet for urinary cats did not help him!!!!! As a rule, urinary cats should be kept well away from dry food of ALL kinds (even prescription dry). Through trial and error I learned.....

Tanya
09-08-2009, 07:07 PM
If you want yor cats to have cranberry there are Mark and Chappell Cranberry ums ... my cats love these treats ... milky umms, defurr umms .... and so on!

catwoman999
09-08-2009, 07:17 PM
If you want yor cats to have cranberry there are Mark and Chappell Cranberry ums ... my cats love these treats ... milky umms, defurr umms .... and so on!

Haven't heard of those... Will have a look next time in Pets at Home, thank you:D Though will read label carefully lol

MadCatLady
10-08-2009, 05:53 AM
I feed my RigbyBigBear with no willie there Hills C/d dry.... has had his willie chop op because of constant blockages.... he also has the cranberry treats which he prefers to the pets @ home variety but... he will not eat c/d wet and if he eats 'other' wet food he still gets cystitis so... Hills dry it is...! :roll:

Phoenix
10-08-2009, 07:52 AM
Dylan has tesco premium wet cat food in gravy, go cat dry (he likes the tuna and vegetable one)

I've tried him on whiskas and he REALLY doesn't like it!

angieh
10-08-2009, 08:45 AM
These interesting posts just prove that each cat to his or her own! They are all as individual as the people they own!

catwoman999
11-08-2009, 07:59 AM
I feed my RigbyBigBear with no willie there Hills C/d dry.... has had his willie chop op because of constant blockages.... he also has the cranberry treats which he prefers to the pets @ home variety but... he will not eat c/d wet and if he eats 'other' wet food he still gets cystitis so... Hills dry it is...! :roll:

Correction to post see below....

catwoman999
11-08-2009, 08:01 AM

You need to add water yourself to the wet food, THAT IS THE KEY;) Usually 50/50 so that it looks like a thick soup! Cats love it, cause its like gravy and they just lap that up. Works a treat for urinary cats, the constant intake of water with food keeps the bladder clear. The Dick vets in Glasgow did a study a few years ago, and the results were that this worked in almost ALL cases better than dry prescription. I am friendly with the female vet who took part in the study. And this information has changed my Amos's life and penis lol....:D Because I was considering the sex change/ penis surgery for him, but touch wood he has NEVER had another stones incident in FIVE years,since I took him off dry and used the 50/50 water/food mixture! And I think that speaks volumes....bring on the water...

catwoman999
11-08-2009, 08:08 AM
Hope this info helps anybody else struggling with urinary cats... Vets don't really put this type of info out there, as it isn't a money spinner...

MadCatLady
11-08-2009, 08:02 PM
You need to add water yourself to the wet food, THAT IS THE KEY;) Usually 50/50 so that it looks like a thick soup! Cats love it, cause its like gravy and they just lap that up. Works a treat for urinary cats, the constant intake of water with food keeps the bladder clear. The Dick vets in Glasgow did a study a few years ago, and the results were that this worked in almost ALL cases better than dry prescription. I am friendly with the female vet who took part in the study. And this information has changed my Amos's life and penis lol....:D Because I was considering the sex change/ penis surgery for him, but touch wood he has NEVER had another stones incident in FIVE years,since I took him off dry and used the 50/50 water/food mixture! And I think that speaks volumes....bring on the water...

Thanks Catwomen but we have tried that too.... :roll: He has a filtered water fountain which has increased his water intake but still we get bloody urine! Think he likes the crunch.... Doesn't get blocked anymore as no willie there!! Just a bit sore...... :oops:

calista24
24-08-2009, 09:23 PM
This is an interesting thread, and i joined here today to gain/share any info!

We acquired our little 8 week old kitten last week, and she was already on Hills Dry food - however didn't seem to want to eat much, so on vets advice got her some wet too-whiskas kitten.

All seemed good, and she was feeding well, thought we'd go one step further and get her hills kitten wet instead of whiskas.

She went hyper/bonkers most of the weekend on the hills kitten wet, and seems to be back to cutesy self after going back to whiskas!

A friend said it is probably to do with the higher protein content, overstimulates them...

So, the next few days will see !

catwoman999
24-08-2009, 10:04 PM
This is an interesting thread, and i joined here today to gain/share any info!

We acquired our little 8 week old kitten last week, and she was already on Hills Dry food - however didn't seem to want to eat much, so on vets advice got her some wet too-whiskas kitten.

All seemed good, and she was feeding well, thought we'd go one step further and get her hills kitten wet instead of whiskas.

She went hyper/bonkers most of the weekend on the hills kitten wet, and seems to be back to cutesy self after going back to whiskas!

A friend said it is probably to do with the higher protein content, overstimulates them...

So, the next few days will see !

Your absolutely correct the higher protein, can make kittens more lively for a short while days/weeks. In a couple of days kitten will settle down... My advice is stick with Hills wet, better quality protein and less rubbish fillers in it! :D