PDA

View Full Version : Intrducing new cat to resident cat

dandysmom
24-01-2008, 10:30 PM
In the Animal Doctor column in the Post today there was an interesting letter by a woman who's used this method for 25 years to introduce the new cat to the resident cat. Unfortunately it won't let me copy the link, so the summary is: she immediately bathes old cat/new cat with the same shampoo! Said it has worked flawlessly for years, after the bath the old grumpy cat was grooming the kitten!
I can see the rationale: same smell = no threat. But a few "ifs" : what if old cat can't be/never has been bathed? And quite a shock to the kitten/new cat being plunged into a bath on its very first entry in to the new home...

Your thoughts?

Moli
25-01-2008, 12:23 AM
I really would not like to do that to a new kitten, think if anything it would probably stress the poor thing....

dandysmom
25-01-2008, 12:38 AM
My thought exactly! And if the resident cat was unaccustomed to being bathed, I don't think it would exactly sweeten it's disposition.......:shock: :roll:

Moli
25-01-2008, 12:49 AM
I have never bathed a cat.....and have introduced many kittens into my household this past 4 years and never had a problem'''

dandysmom
25-01-2008, 12:52 AM
I've never bathed one either, except for a disastrous experience as a teenager with my Mom and our big ginger tom who did not appreciate it....

tilly
25-01-2008, 10:47 AM
I can see how it would work ie they would smell the same. But I wouldn't like to try it. I think it would be kinder to transfer the scent via a dry cloths and run the cloths on one cat then the other. I can bath my two but it doesn't go down that well.

anyway it is an interesting idea
Sally

miki
25-01-2008, 06:39 PM
hm...I think that introducing your cat to a new one is a bit stressful and it is also stressful for the kitten so I wouldn't bath them - it would make them even more stressed...
But I guess that for some cats that method could work (van cats enjoy swimming).
I would only bath a new arrival if it was very dirty, had fleas (but than you would also have to use anti flea treatment) or something...
Anyway, that is just my opinion.

Moofster
25-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Well I can see the rationale behind that, suppose it all depends on your resident cats and if your bathe etc...etc..

I dont bathe and think I would have more of a drama doing that when we acquired Tink :-D :-D

But if it works I'm all for it :smt023

dandysmom
25-01-2008, 08:57 PM
The mere thought of trying to bathe Leia , to use an old Victorian expression. gives me the vapors!!! :shock: :-D

alexgirl73
25-01-2008, 09:23 PM
I've had to bath all 3 of mine in the past (due to teddie and her 'problems' lol) and while they weren't over fond, it wasn't too hard to do.

dandysmom
25-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Woo hoo, Alex, you have either a high pain threshold or incredibly well-behaved cats! I am impressed!

random
25-01-2008, 10:48 PM
I have been very lucky on this aspect and all of mine have welcomes new ones with open ars (paws?). A few days and it is as if they have been resident for ever. So cannot comment really! I must have very laid back kitties!

random
25-01-2008, 10:54 PM
On the bathing note, Tabs had about 3 in all of her life and they were well needed (i.e. one of the dogs had peed on her or something! :shock:) none of the others have ever been bathed barr Princess who gets washed about once a month-8 weeks, as she has some trouble with her back end and sometimes she gets her fur and her tail and feet covered in it with her having a long coat, but *touch wood* she does seem to be getting a lot better on that aspect. She absolutely hates it, however she will tolerate it to an extent. It is odd but it's as if she knows she needs it doing, however much as she despises it. She has also been having baths since she was just a few weeks old and defecating for herself, so you'd think she'd be used to it by now, no such luck!

dandysmom
25-01-2008, 11:04 PM
I've never had any real problems: hissing. spitting, etc. but nothing violent. Although Patches, who was timid, hid in the basement for about a week before she'd face stout little Misty, who was mostly bluff, bless her. The sad exception was when I let Onyx in and Leia turned into a monster with death in her eyes....she was very seriously going to kill the intruder...:(

Grete
25-01-2008, 11:57 PM
I've never had a problem with introducing, some cats have become firm sleep together friends and others just tolerate but I can't imagine bathing them - I understand the reasoning and it's a good one and I guess if you have laid back cats it will work. You have to judge the temperament I guess. I can't imagine ever bathing Bubbles lol, I would come away bleeding heavily :)