PDA

View Full Version : pretty sure taz is deaf...

Tink
24-01-2008, 02:58 AM
i've had some suspicion and done a number of tests at home..he has no response to sound. seems from what i hear it is not a huge deal in ferrets as they compensate, live healthily, and don't even seem to realize their handicap. i'm not going to depend on medical testing as i've heard there are numerous tests that are painful that aren't really necessary. just need to be more aware of how i communicate with him and definitely not depend on voice cues for discipline. otherwise, he is a very happy guy and i'm sure he doesn't mind not hearing the dogs go crazy barking in the middle of the night:-D
a lot of people may not realize their ferret is deaf and get frustrated that he/she is not listening to voice cues which can result in frustration and poor care or even abandonment or abuse. i'm just glad i've stumbled upon this early on...

Grete
24-01-2008, 08:31 AM
Aww poor Taz :( Well done for picking it up! Sounds like you both won't let it hold him back tho :)

Fran
24-01-2008, 08:34 AM
I'm sure Taz will cope fine, you'll just need to be extra aware of any dangers, so that he doesn't unexpectedly find himself in trouble. I don't know much about ferrets, is deafness something that they are prone too?

Tink
24-01-2008, 09:19 AM
I'm sure Taz will cope fine, you'll just need to be extra aware of any dangers, so that he doesn't unexpectedly find himself in trouble. I don't know much about ferrets, is deafness something that they are prone too?

yes, it happens quite often and they compensate so well that the furmoms and dads sometimes don't know till they are elderly

babycakes
24-01-2008, 09:40 AM
Aww poor thing Tink. I don't suppose it will bother him though

dinahsmum
24-01-2008, 10:21 AM
Animals' senses are so different from ours it's obviously much less of a handicap for Taz than it would be a human.
It's difficult to imagine isn't it. e.g. Dogs only see in black and white, their sense of smell is 2000 better than ours (can't even begin to imagine that!)
He's obviously perfectly happy

Mags
24-01-2008, 01:09 PM
That's a shame.... but deaf or not, he's a happy little fella!:D