PDA

View Full Version : cat fostering update

tilly
21-01-2008, 08:32 PM
hi I just thought I would update you on what has been going on in regard to me possible fostering with the cat and kitten rescue. I tried CP but they didn't have the funds to build the pens. I can't find the thread where I said that cat and Kitten rescue were interested in me fostering so I hope you don't mind me starting a new thread. The link below is from the CP fostering thread.
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=23639

Right to start with Cat and Kitten rescue are the rescue group who found Trevor for my Parents (they were looking for a feral cat to live on there small holding). I will add to the post I started on that to tell you about him. See below for the link.
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=24321

When they dropped him off I mentioned that I would love to foster and they said great they were always looking for fosterer, especially in the buckingahm area as they are based further north, but have people who are looking to get cats based around me.
the link to a bit about them here I hope it is OK to put it there.
http://www.catchat.org/adoption/beds.html

Anyway the lady came round to mine to see what sort of space I had and to see what they could put there. As Tilly is a virus carrier (Feline Herpes Virus) we decided that a 8'x10' shed would be good which had crates in it would be better than pens.
I was a bit concerned as they crate that came with Trevor was rather small and my Mum and I had to get a bigger one. But I have checked with the lady and the crates that would go in the shed for the foster cats to stay in are bigger and are actually dog crates but smallish ones.
The cat lady has been on the look out for a second hand shed but can't find on so is probably going to get a new 8'x 10' shed, as that is the space in my garden that I said they could put what ever they wanted to for cat fostering in.

So to what I heard today is the Lady is coming on Saturday to drop off some paving slabs for the shed to stand on. It seems like it is all going ahead and I should be up and running for kitten season.

I will let you know more as it happens.

Sally
ps sorry for the long post

Fran
21-01-2008, 08:36 PM
I am so pleased for you Sally!!! Exciting times ahead :D

Moli
21-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Brilliant news Sally, good for you..:D

Jac
21-01-2008, 08:42 PM
So does that mean your doing this as well as the guide dog brood bitch as well?

tilly
21-01-2008, 08:58 PM
deleted post

Jac
21-01-2008, 09:08 PM
I'm sorry to sound harsh, I don't mean to but do you not think you should have looked into what is "expected" of you before you volunteered? I know your intentions are good but surely a bit research wouldn't have gone amiss

tilly
21-01-2008, 09:34 PM
I have done research I was just after a friendly peoson to help me out but if that isn't you don't worry the post has been deleted. As I am fed up of being critised so I will be leave this thread as it is.

Fran
21-01-2008, 09:55 PM
I have done research I was just after a friendly peoson to help me out but if that isn't you don't worry the post has been deleted. As I am fed up of being critised so I will be leave this thread as it is.

Hi Sally, I haven't done any cat rescue myself so I am not exactly sure what would be involved. Smudgely and Alex both foster for Cats Protection and I am sure both would be willing to offer you help and advice. I'm sure they'll see this thread at some point but might be worth pming them? Good luck with your venture, I for one think you are brilliant for undertaking cat rescue, well done! and I'd love to hear how it all goes x

Jac
22-01-2008, 06:48 PM

Tilly, I wasn't criticizing you at all. I just found your post a bit strange. Surely the lady that came to see you told you what would be expected of you.
I admire you for taking on so much. Just don't burn yourself out. It's so easily done. Take it from one that knows! One of the things you have to be prepared for is how to say no! honestly people go for the heart and say things like if you don't take it I'll have it put to sleep or kill it myself. they never do but be prepared. Also if you have a car don't be used. Again I know you want to help and make a difference but honestly start as you mean to go on. Practise saying no.
You'll understand what I mean in a few months.

Mags
22-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Good luck Sally, I hope it all goes well for you! :)

Kazz
22-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Best of luck Tilly, hope all goes well you could become Smudgley No2.......:)

smudgley
22-01-2008, 11:05 PM
smudgley2 :-D

Well Jac is right & she's only looking out for you & trying to warn you that you can be taken advantage of & for this (Jacs advice) you must be grateful.;) I know what it's like. I joined CP as a volunteer who wanted to have 2 foster pens. Within no time I was;
fostering in 4 pens
the lost & found contact
doing all the microchipping for the DY postcode area
the neutering Officer
& on the committee..........Which suits me, as it is what I love to do, but as Jac says, you need to know when to say no, as I have recently found out. I burnt myself out with it all & am now doing less fostering for the time being & have handed over the lost & found to another lady.

So what's involved............well, all rescues are different but I guess the basic cat care is pretty standard. However this is what happens with the rescue I help with.

.......A cat from the waiting list will come into the branch when a space is available. If the cat is coming to you, you may be required to collect the cat. Then a vet check & blood test are priority to be done. (Not all rescues do this) Then the cat is wormed / frontlined / neutered if needed & looked after until a suitable home is found. General day to day care, feeding, grooming & playtime / cuddles. Then the cat is rehomed & the next one comes along. Often on the same day. :roll:

What I find hard is.... the time to spend with, not only the care of the cats / trays / feeding etc, but also the time I have to spend with potential new owners & then the time spent with them when they come back to adopt their cat. I also have mountains of washing as I use vet beds & wash them often, there's all the litter & rubbish to dispose of, not to mention the scrubbing & discinfecting of pens / trays etc.

It doesn't cost me financially as all the food & litter is provided, but it does take up a lot of your time.

But if you have the time & you do it on your terms & what suits you then you will be fine.

Another thought. I don't like the idea of the cats in crates / kitten pens / dog cages - call them whatever, but I think they are too small for an adult cat. They are ok for a post op cat or for an emergency case as temporary housing, but not for a foster cat whilst in with the rescue, the cat could be in there for months. :?

tilly
28-01-2008, 05:05 PM
all moving on nicely and should be up and running soon.

The lady was very nice and said to start slowly and see how I go.

more info when I have it

sally

Fran
28-01-2008, 07:57 PM
This is great news Sally :D Bet you can't wait to get started now :-)

tilly
28-01-2008, 08:09 PM
Bet you can't wait to get started now

I can't I hope to be up and running soon. The lady is just getting everything I need sorted out. She is very supportive sounding. I am going to start with some easy to home cats without any problem then go on from there to find out what suits me best. ie am I better with nervous cats, young kitten, old cat Etc then the lady will send me those sorts of cats.
Sally

Mags
28-01-2008, 08:20 PM
That's good news Sally, lots of good wishes to you..:)

Kazz
28-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Brilliant news, best wishes to you.

dandysmom
28-01-2008, 10:51 PM
It sounds really exciting, Sally, can hardly wait to read of your first cat/s......

yola
28-01-2008, 11:01 PM
Sally, you've had some excellent advice here, the upshot of which is take it a step at a time and don't overdo it - I'm sure you'll be fine - as long as it's what you want to do you will make it work. You sound like a tenacious lady to me that just makes things happen :D

Look forward to hearing updates on how you get on :-D

Kay
29-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Well done Sally and the best of luck in this fantastic adventure. Can't wait to hear your news.

I too have reservations about the crates though. As Smudgley says not really pratical for what could be long term. Might be worth mentioning it too the rescue. After all if a breeder was too do that then rescues would be up in arms.

Not a critism on your part but the recues.