PDA

View Full Version : paralysis/balance problems

Seals
19-01-2008, 11:34 PM
Hi,
Our cat Tikka is three and a half and for the past week has been having problems with his hind legs.
This doesn't happen all the time, just every now and again. If he sits in the same position for any length of time then tries to move, he doesnt seem to be able to support his weight on his back legs. This only last for minutes then he is back to normal.
There are no painful areas (we have checked but he doesnt like being touched!) and he is eating/drinking same as usual.
Anyone got any ideas?? Have been all over the internet trying to find an answer.
Thanks

Fran
19-01-2008, 11:38 PM
Warm welcome to Catsey! I have no idea what could be wrong with your cat, I hope someone will be along soon who may have some ideas. Have you taken him to the vet?

tilly
20-01-2008, 12:46 AM
HI welcome to catsey.
Has he seen a vet? do you think it could be a pinched nerve that the only thing I can think of that might cause his problems.

Sally

babycakes
20-01-2008, 12:53 AM
Welcome to catsey. I really do ffel you need to take the cat to the vet it does sound like a nerve problem as stated above. How long has he had it?

Fran
20-01-2008, 08:12 AM
An interesting fact that some of you may not know but cats too can suffer with hip dyspalsia. I think certain breeds are more susceptible but it's a possibility?

yola
20-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Hmmm. If he doesn't like being touched, I suspect it's because he's in pain. I would get a vet to give him a check over for your own peace of mind and so that if there IS a problem it can be diagnosed and treated properly.

Please do let us know how Tikka (great name :D ) gets on.

catsinc4
31-01-2008, 11:34 PM
hi,my roxxi had an accident unknown type lol last year and had severe difficulties like urs at first.the vet wasnt sure if it was spinal cord damage at 1 point BUt it was decided it was nerve damage.she was cage rested for 4 weeks with anti inflamms.she is good now but does still carry her tail oddly and her back legs sometimes go wobbly,she seems to have no feeling in her tail either but she is healthy and happy.vet said she will prob always have the funny gait&tail carraige.we think she did it "playing"with Tia and it got a bit rough for the then kitten roxxi.hope you get to the bottom of it.xx

angieh
01-02-2008, 03:05 PM
Hi and welcome to Catsey! If the problem with Tikka's legs came on fairly suddenly - I think you said over the last week or so, then I would most certainly take her to the vet to be checked out. She may have fallen or jumped awkwardly and nerve strain or damage is probably the explanation. Better to be sure so it doesn't get worse! Do let us know how Tikka gets on. Yes, great name Yola!!!