PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Regularly Feed Landywoods Minces To cats?

Daisy-Doo
18-01-2008, 06:29 PM
Hi all,

One of my kitties (now 11yrs old) has always had a skin problem, literally from the day I got her at 8 weeks old.
We've been down the route of prescription diets. We've tried numerous commercial premium diets, and most recently, a grain-free wet food. Some have appeared to help initially, but none have ever solved the problem.

So, as a last ditch attempt, I'd like to try both my cats' on raw. I'm not a fan of minced food, and ideally they'd be getting large chunks of meat on the bone and whole prey (which is what I feed my other animals - it's a costly business).
However, finances dictate what I can feed them if I want to go down this route - that's where the pet minces come in.
Landywoods prices seem to be very reasonable...However, I've read mixed feelings about their meats. Some are very happy with it, and some say it isn't very fresh (even 'stinky' was one person's view that I've read). Now, of course whatever I use needs to be fresh.

So, what I'm looking for really is feedback from anyone that regularly feeds Landywoods minces to their cats'.

*How often do you feed the minces, and how long have you been feeding Landywoods to them?
*Have you (and the cats) been happy with the freshness?
*What varieties have you tried, and which seem to go down better with the cats?

All feedback much appreciated : )

babycakes
18-01-2008, 06:56 PM
Welcome to Catsey by the way.

I don't feed my cat this but I just wanted to greet you

Daisy-Doo
18-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Welcome to Catsey by the way.

I don't feed my cat this but I just wanted to greet you

Many thanks Babycakes. Much appreciated :D

Fran
18-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Hi and welcome to catsey. I have been feeding Landywoods mince and some of their other products to my dogs for years and I've never had a problem. I know some others don't rate them but I would speak of them very highly indeed. I have never had a problem with anything I have had from them. Some of my cats do have the occasional treat of raw meat and minces and infact will steal it out of the dogs' bowls when they get the chance. Landywoods gets a thumbs up from me :)

borderdawn
18-01-2008, 10:33 PM
We used Landywoods a while back and had terrible problems, green chicken, slimey meat, the orders were not on time etc... so we switched to TPMS who have been brilliant and have never let us down. I know Landywoods moved and the service improved, but there have been a few threads on other boards of late saying the service has been poor and food off, one lady had VERY sick dogs. They have apparently been taking incorrect orders too and not reimbursing people or refunding etc... this was also said in several posts on a hunting forum I go on.
Dawn.

Fran
18-01-2008, 10:36 PM
We used Landywoods a while back and had terrible problems, green chicken, slimey meat, the orders were not on time etc... so we switched to TPMS who have been brilliant and have never let us down. I know Landywoods moved and the service improved, but there have been a few threads on other boards of late saying the service has been poor and food off, one lady had VERY sick dogs. They have apparently been taking incorrect orders too and not reimbursing people or refunding etc... this was also said in several posts on a hunting forum I go on.
Dawn.

Wonder why I never have or have ever had any problems :? I can't sing their praises highly enough. I am so confident in their products that I wean my puppies onto their mince!

borderdawn
18-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Perhaps you have just been lucky. One of the other popular dog forums (Im sure you know the one) had a thread a mile long on it not long ago. They are local to me fran, it made sense for us to use them, TPMS are soo much more reliable and I have been to the premises and seen everything for myself. We buy approx 400lb chicken and 100lb tripe from them each month to use in the kennels and some for our own dogs on occasion.
Dawn.

Fran
18-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Perhaps you have just been lucky. One of the other popular dog forums (Im sure you know the one) had a thread a mile long on it not long ago. They are local to me fran, it made sense for us to use them, TPMS are soo much more reliable and I have been to the premises and seen everything for myself. We buy approx 400lb chicken and 100lb tripe from them each month to use in the kennels and some for our own dogs on occasion.
Dawn.

I don't think TPMS sell rib bones do they Dawn?? or have they started to of late?? Seriously, I really am and have always been very happy with Lanydwoods products and service.

borderdawn
18-01-2008, 11:01 PM
I dont doubt you are happy with them, I know you wouldnt feed anything to your Dogs you were not happy with, but like you, I am speaking from personal experience.

Im not sure whether TPMS sell rib bones Fran, I havent seen their catalogue, we just order the chicken and tripe from them. I have looked round every inch of their property and was very impressed with their hygiene and cleanliness etc.. My sister knows the owner, she sold him a Fork lift truck! :mrgreen: she introduced us to him when we had to dispose of 300lb of slimey green stinky chicken for the 3rd time from Landywoods.

This is the sort of thing people were saying about landwoods.

I used to use them but after my dogs were ill twice , the fact they would take an order and tell me they would let me know the delivery date but then didn't so I'd come home to find defrosted cases of meat on my drive, which had also been split.. presumably where the driver had dropped them and not bothered to pick them up. Then there was the fact the food was covered in slime and I had to remove plastic tags, like the ones you get in clothes, from every single wing, leg etc

I'd been ordering from Landywoods for about a year and a half now and all has mostly been fine until the last 3 or 4 months. As I said above, I've had stuff partially defrosted, slimy and stinking chicken wings and carcasses, pigs legs smothered in dark brown poo all over (no refund), wrong orders, refunds for food I was charged for but never received taking 3 months and then only given as a credit, etc etc.

I wouldn't order from them again. The order was incorrect, when I rang and queried it I had a most unpositive and quite agressive response, with only a offer of credit off the next order. The food and bones were partially defrosted, which meant I had to refreeze which is not a good idea, it stank, and was greasy. The dogs tummies suffered. Cheap it may be, but vets bills are not, and I have decided not to order again.

Im sure some people have had issues with all suppliers at some point, but you can only speak as you find.

Fran
18-01-2008, 11:10 PM
I agree you can only speak as you find and I can honestly say that I have never experienced any of the problems you have illustrated above. They always deliver when they are supposed to, have never charged me for anything I haven't recieved, if anything they have on occasions forgotten to charge me for things ;) They always phone me prior to being in my area to see if I need anything and never insist on a minimum order from me. I have never had an issue with any of the dogs or puppies or cats come to that being ill :? I don't think they are particularly cheap but for me I am happy paying as I think their service is superb. I have several friends who also order from them on my recommendation and they have never experienced any problems either?? Perhaps they just ensure their best meat and bones come to Yorkshire ;)

borderdawn
18-01-2008, 11:16 PM
LOL!! Perhaps they are scared of Yorkshire ladies!! :mrgreen: Im pleased you get the service you pay for, I know you'd be none too pleased if you didnt.
Dawn.

Fran
18-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Im pleased you get the service you pay for, I know you'd be none too pleased if you didnt.
Dawn.

Oh, you are so right there Dawn ;)

Daisy-Doo
19-01-2008, 12:43 AM
Many thanks for the replies thus far. Seems to be a bit of a mixed bag of views/experiences. Which is similar to what I've read previously. Anyhow, I'm still going with an open mind, and still looking for anyone that feeds it to their cats regularly.
Hellooo - surely there must be someone out there that does?:)

Anyway, I had a thought this evening. I'm going to ring them next week and see if they deliver to any pet shops that are within reasonable travelling distance. That way, if I can get there, I'll buy a handful of minces and see what it's like. This would also be a good way of seeing how the kitties take to it (providing I'm happy to feed it of course), before spending a fortune on something they may just turn their noses up at:D

Moli
19-01-2008, 12:46 AM
They may do sample bags of it..