PDA

View Full Version : hm..are there kill shelters in uk?

miki
18-01-2008, 01:21 PM
Just wondering...are they?Cause I was talking to my friend who said she found out there are dogkilling shelters in UK, do they also kill cats. How long do they have?
I think that is so unfair to the cats....

Moli
18-01-2008, 02:08 PM
I do not know of any dog killing shelters here...

Mags
18-01-2008, 03:46 PM
I think your friend is be mistaken Miki, our shelters here in the UK are for rehoming homeless or stray cats and dogs.....

miki
18-01-2008, 04:20 PM
huh, thats a relief :)
I tought it was strange but you never know...

smudgley
18-01-2008, 05:03 PM
Do you mean do some shelters PTS animals. Because yes they do. Some have a destruction policy & will PTS if not homed.

Elaine
18-01-2008, 08:04 PM
We do have animals pts here, sadly but then again what can we do, the surplus is great and good homes are few by co9mparison. Sometimes shelters/rescues have no choice. It is very sad but the circumstances arise due to indiscriminate breeding, unspeyed and unneutered animals being abandoned. Rescues simply cannot cope.

miki
19-01-2008, 04:25 PM
so there are...
how do you know which shelters are kill? Do they PTS friendly cats too?

Kim
19-01-2008, 05:13 PM
You do make it sound so barbaric. I wouldn't call them 'kill' shelters as they re-home, neuter and give treatment to ill cats, but as Elaine said, sometimes the shelters just cannot cope with so many animals and they are pts humanely. If the animals are healthy, young and friendly then there is a good chance that they will find homes. Many rescues have a 'no destruct' policy. If people were more responsible then the problem wouldn't be so huge. It is very sad...... :(