PDA

View Full Version : My 2 y.old Maine Coon needs a home

truthisouthere
16-01-2008, 12:46 PM
I've 'acquired' a Maine Coon stray about 8 months ago ago, at 1st he was ok with my other 3 cats. One of my cats has since been put to sleep at Christmas cos he had cancer and it was his time:cry: (he may have been the 'top cat')SINCE then the hierarchy seems to have changed, the Maine Coon is reaching social maturity at 2 y.o and his true colours are now showing! He's driving the others away with psychological warfare (ie guarding the cat flap, chasing them, mounting the girl, and has even I think bitten my girl cats bottom, leaving a nasty bite wound). I've spoken to a top cat behaviourist, and due to him being used to guarding his territory etc, for ALL of our future happiness he NEEDS TO BE THE ONLY CAT. He is a n/m, my other cats are wary of him, cos altho he is very sweet and gentle with people, he frightens other cats off. He is a gorgeous boy, prefers people to other carts and needs a loving home, with his own garden , not too many cats in the neighbourhood, (as he could do serious damage if he wanted, he's a strong cat), and AWAY from roads. He needs grooming religiously every day, and would suit a couple who have had a Maine Coon before. It's a REAL shame as it's not his fault he's had such a bad start in life, and now my home isn't working out despite all best efforts:( If anyone would like to share their life with a real character and think they can offer him a good home I will pick up any messgs here..BTW I live in Hampshire. Would be happy to accept visits to see him 1st, but new owner would have to pick him up, or I could take him to you, all depends on the sit.

Moofster
16-01-2008, 01:28 PM
:cry: oh that is a real shame, some cats are harder to integrate into exisiting families than others :cry:

I acquired a stray last year (Tink) and he's a buggar with my youngest female, he chases her, mount her, but since his chop he seems to have gradually lost interest ;) he sneaks up on her when shes eating, even though we feed them seperately.
We tried all sorts of approached, in the early days we seperated them and gave him time out to calm down. We sometimes use the time out tactic even now. Tink has his crazy days where he is just a total rat-bag to her and there is no other action than to put him in a bedroom to calm down.

Anyway up shot of the matter is there is some sort of equilibrium between them, they dont snug up with each other, but we certainly have less chasing and terrorising.

So I can completely empathise with your concerns, you just want them to be settled and now it sounds like you have to take some alternative action.

I send my best wishes to you and your cat and hope that you find a new home soon - best of luck - keep us posted !!

smudgley
16-01-2008, 05:27 PM
Sorry to hear about your cat.
Have you tried contacting M/C rescue or Cats Protection?
Do you have a photo of him?

dinahsmum
16-01-2008, 06:03 PM
A same but not the first time we've heard of group dynamics changing in a multi-cat household and leading to a rehoming.
I think MC rescue might be a good first base.
Good luck to you all

truthisouthere
17-01-2008, 12:22 PM
I've been on the MC rescue website but can't see how to advertise. My digital camera is very temperamental but I have managed to print off a photo of him and have advertised his plight in my rural vets. I prefer to rehome him myself and am confident that I WILL find him a lovely home (one where he doesn't have to feel that he has to be on hi-alert all the time!) Quite sweet, I burnt some lavender last nite and he snuggled up on the bed between my legs and near my other cat (who was by my shoulder) and actually STAYED there when my other cat (very gingerly) came in! Good stuff lavender.

yola
17-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Just a thought, but have you tried things like a Felliway plug-in or rescue remedy in his water? It might be just what he needs to help him chill a bit and feel less threatened. It might make the situation more tenable until you can find a permenant alternative home for him.

kado
17-01-2008, 04:07 PM
My brother is going through a similar thing. He has two 8yr old n/f and he took in a 2yrold male who is owners abandon . He has been feeding matie has he is now called for 12months outside. A cat charity neutered him and took away the female who had her 3 litter in the same year but they couldnt take him in as well. He now goes in and wants to stay warm when he chooses. His other two cats are not very found of him and his and growl but his perserverance has paid off. He had his injections done last week and now they are getting on better than before. I understand how you much feel about it and i know you will do the best for your cat. Like yola i would try the feliway plug they are supposed to calm cats down my vet recomended them to me for Simon and guinness for stress.

jane

truthisouthere
18-01-2008, 12:16 PM
I've had the feliway plug in since he arrived, in the hall, best place as I have a bungalow; both my other cats have aspen bach flower drops on their food 4x p'day as recc, there is rescue remedy in all the water bowls (but not the pond, can't do that unfort!), and lavender in the burner at nite. I have a calm house. I play with him lots, hide his food in egg boxes, paper bags etc,. Added to the fact that I have a partic nervous 11 y.o Birman who's a bit of a mummy's boy and took to living in the hammock of next door's garden all summer (and is now living and eating in the conservatory, closest he'll come since his bro died), ADDED to that I have spoken to 2 published cat behaviorists who have said exactly the same thing now...the little lad has to go. No point dragging it out any longer in the hope that one day they will all get on, they won't. He needs to be an only cat. Doesn't really help me and him to stay 'detached' from it all now that he's starting to get all snuggly with me on the bed every morn!!

truthisouthere
18-01-2008, 03:28 PM
I have been down to the camera shop and managed to get some photos of the young man put on cd, but how to download them is another prob. Anyone know how? I'm not PC illiterate but looks like you have to put them on an 'http://' before sending them...? I'd like to post them on here if poss.

truthisouthere
18-01-2008, 03:31 PM
http://www.catsey.com/DSCF0212.JPG http://www.catsey.com/DSCF0213.JPGhttp://www.catsey.com/DSCFO214.JPG Oh dear, have i got it wrong?!

Mags
18-01-2008, 03:50 PM
This link will help you post your pics on Catsey......:D

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=8195

babycakes
18-01-2008, 07:04 PM
Maine coons are notorious bullies from what I have heard (from previous owners) even to bullying dogs in the street. I hope he finds his forever (one cat ) home soon

truthisouthere
28-01-2008, 01:09 PM
Well, Charlie has been at his new home for a week now where he will be the only cat, and after a home check he's enjoying a loving and stable family life as the only cat in a rambling 3 bed house in the country. :D Being a Maine Coon he loves people, and the little girl, I hear, is a willing and respectful cat lover who is more than happy to play with him and his fave toy 'fishing rod'. From the new owners email he seems to be settling in very well and is already bothering people at the bathroom sink for water games and ping-pong in the bath!;) He also has a large garden that backs on to a field when he goes out to look forward to; the neighbours love cats too but have none of their own, so no shortage of love to go around for this young man!I hope he'll have many happy years at his 'forever home'.
XxX

yola
28-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Oh that IS good news! I hope he settles well and has many happy years in front of him :D

alexgirl73
28-01-2008, 01:21 PM
aww, thats lovely! I know you will miss him, but you have done the very best thing for Charlie. I wish him well in his new home.

Mags
28-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Great news about Charlie, I hope he settles in well..:D

Moofster
28-01-2008, 03:15 PM
awwww that is fantastic new :D lots of positive settling in vibes for Charlie, its sounds just the perfect place for him !

Hope you're doing ok too :hug:

angieh
28-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Great news for Charlie - well done for keeping at it and finding him the best home possible (I think I'd like to live there too!). Hope your other cats can settle down now and enjoy their time with you and the lavender!

truthisouthere
29-01-2008, 12:21 PM
...I felt really bad when he went as he fought so hard to not go in the basket to his new home, then I went to pieces when he left and I cried for 2 hours solid. :? I soon snapped out of it tho and pulled myself together when I realised I was only crying for me!! Charlie didn't seem to give a monkeys when he got to his new home, and he's growing in confidence each day...and my other two are much happier already!:D

dinahsmum
29-01-2008, 12:24 PM
That is good news - and you are right your sadness was just for yourself and not Charlie - he's thinking that life is great, so you should too!

dandysmom
29-01-2008, 05:27 PM
A happy ending! Thanks for letting us know what happened to Charlie, and well done you for finding a loving home for him after all efforts to integrate him in the family failed!