PDA

View Full Version : chickens

smudgley
16-01-2008, 10:27 AM
:cry:

Lucy let the chickens out into the garden last night & didn't tell us. We didn't go down to put them away as we didn't think they were out. Foxes had all 4 of them. Feathers everywhere & they have left Jade & Sky in the garden but bitten their heads off. My beautiful girls. They were fantastic layers, all laying every single day, even on these cold dark days & they were really friendly too. My husband is quite annoyed that Lucy did this & didn't tell anyone. We sometimes let them out but weren't planning to yesterday as the rain was so bad.

:cry:

dinahsmum
16-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Oh Smudgley. I'm so sorry. This is the second time isn't it - and you worked so hard on getting the fox-proof house and pen.
What will Lucy do to show her remorse? I think she should do something, rather than just lose priviledges. Poor thing - she must be feeling bad but that's all part of growing up and making mistakes you thought you were too mature to make.
Sorry kidda - onwards and upwards. They had a great life with you.

Emm
16-01-2008, 10:39 AM
oh no I'm so sorry to hear about your chickens :(

smudgley
16-01-2008, 10:42 AM
yes, last time it was my other daughter that had been in the enclosure & got the eggs. She shut the door, but all the chickens had sneaked out & she didn't notice :roll: all 7 were gone that time. But only a few feathers then. This time there are feathers everywhere & 2 of my girls have been thrown around & are lying there with no heads. I don't want to move them, I will let John do that. He is annoyed with Lu because she knows she shouldn't do things like that. It was raining so why she let them out is beyond me. I wasn't aware they were out & when I went down to the cat pen it was dark & wet & I didn't see the chickens as they would have been in bed.
John did work really hard to get a brand new pen made for these ones as we got rid of the other one because it was quite old..
He wants to get some more chickens as he loves having them around & I do too.

I feel really sad thinking about them now.

People don't realise they all have little personalities & are so easy to look after, they ask for nothing & are happy scratting around after worms. When you go into the garden they run to you to say hello. :(

Donna
16-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Sorry to hear this Smudgley. Once was bad enough, but for it to happen twice.....

I think the girls should be told NEVER to touch them again if you get any more. Just your responsibility etc etc.

Emm
16-01-2008, 10:52 AM
I think all animals have their own personalities - is Lucy feeling bad for whats happened?

smudgley
16-01-2008, 10:55 AM
I think all animals have their own personalities - is Lucy feeling bad for whats happened?

She was just going to school, when I saw the feathers & told her it looks like the chickens have been taken by foxes, which is when she told me that she'd let them out but forgot to tell Daddy. I told her not worry as I didn't want her upset at school.

Emm
16-01-2008, 10:57 AM
She was just going to chool, when I saw the feathers & told her it looks like the chickens have been taken by foxes, which is when she told me that she'd let them out but forgot to tell Daddy. I told her not worry as I didn't want her upset at school.

yeah I bet she is feeling really bad - at least she admitted to you that she had done it and didn't try to cover it up.

yola
16-01-2008, 11:37 AM
It's a testament to your relationship with her Kelly that she immediately owned up. And I'm sure she is equally upset at what happened.

As DM suggests, she really should contribute something (not necessarily financial, but pocket money donations might help, toward new chickens) but also something that will be meaningful to the whole family and show that she's really sorry for what's happened.

Poor sweet chickens :cry: . . . RIP.

Moli
16-01-2008, 12:36 PM
So sorry to read about the chickens Smudgley............:(

Mags
16-01-2008, 12:43 PM
Oh Smudgley, I'm so sorry this has happened again, those chickens meant a lot to you too :(

No doubt Lucy will be very upset and I commend her for owning up that it was her who let them out.......... I'm sure she will have learnt a lesson by it and feel just as upset as the rest of the family.

Fran
16-01-2008, 12:48 PM
So sorry to hear this Smudgley :( RIP chickens.

I am sure Lucy is as devastated as both you and John. Perhaps it would be better to wait until the girls are older and more responsible before risking taking on anymore chickens?? {{{Hugs}}}

Grete
16-01-2008, 04:02 PM
So sorry Smudgely, they were really sweet when I met them, even if Bluebell was a scaredy cat with them.

I am really impressed that Lucy immediately owned up that it was her, most kids I know would have lied / hidden their part until it came out at a later date. I suspect the message of not letting them out has been hammered in very well :(

smudgley
16-01-2008, 05:09 PM
There was no problem with her letting them out, but she should have told us so that we knew to lock them back in at night.

We are going to have a discussion with her later about a few things anyway.:roll:

Ashleigh is devastated about the chickens.

dandysmom
16-01-2008, 05:24 PM
How very sad, and for the second time, too! We were just recently admiring the pics of them,,:(. It was a hard lesson for Lucy, but she was a brave girl to own up at once. You're going to miss those new-laid eggs! Is this the right time of the year to get some new ones?

smudgley
16-01-2008, 05:29 PM
We will be getting some more, not sure when though. Now is a good time to get chicks as they'll be ready to start laying in Spring, but now is not such a good time to get point of lay. Anyway will chat to John about what we are going to do. I'm tempted to get some ex-batterys but I don't think John would want them.

dandysmom
16-01-2008, 05:35 PM
It's odd, but I was thinking of you this morning at the market when I got some free range organic eggs! Then to come on Catsey and read the sad news....

Kazz
16-01-2008, 05:46 PM
What a shame, but these things happen. Its why they came up with saying the the word "Accident" rather than "On purpose"

Go on Smudgley try and talk John into a battery hen or two - give them a go.

Karen

alexgirl73
16-01-2008, 08:03 PM
So sorry to hear this Smudgley! I can only imagine how upset you all are, I would love some chickens but as our neighbours are so close, not the best of ideas. A hard lesson for Lucy to have learned, but I'm sure it will be one she will remember.

smudgley
16-01-2008, 08:06 PM
What's it got to do with the neighbours Alex?
We have 17 gardens backing onto ours :shock: & our neighbours have never said anything.... go on Alex, get a chicken. :-D

Kazz
16-01-2008, 08:07 PM
She's frightened of all the neighbours wanting eggs...:)

dandysmom
16-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Is it legal to keep chickens where you live, Alex?

alexgirl73
16-01-2008, 09:14 PM
It probably would be, but as I've cursed neighbours for having dogs that bark all night and someone had a cockerel that drove us nuts, I wouldn't like to do that to others. Just love the thought of fresh eggs though.

smudgley
16-01-2008, 10:42 PM
No it's not illegal here DM to keep chickens.;)

Cockerals are a pain & I wouldn't have a cockeral (have had young cockerals) but chooks are lovely. No noise, no mess, no probs, cheap to keep & a fresh egg every day - can't be bad! :-D

babycakes
16-01-2008, 10:56 PM
Oh Smudgley I'm so sorry to read this, what an awful thing to have come across and a sad loss too

Fran
16-01-2008, 11:19 PM
No it's not illegal here DM to keep chickens.;)

It's an interesting point that. Kay and I were chatting about chickens when hubby suggested we get some and she said that it was illegal to keep them in built up, estate like areas??

Mags
16-01-2008, 11:31 PM
It's an interesting point that. Kay and I were chatting about chickens when hubby suggested we get some and she said that it was illegal to keep them in built up, estate like areas??
I know a few people who keep chickens around our way so I don't think they can be illegal here.

According to this, keeping hens appears to be getting very popular now....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1655003.ece

smudgley
16-01-2008, 11:34 PM
It's one of the fastest growing hobbies now.

It's not illegal to keep them.;)

dandysmom
16-01-2008, 11:36 PM
Sorry if I seem to ask so often if it's illegal, but our zoning laws here are so different, apparently. A strict no-no in the City and most developed suburban areas. We have a very large Hispanic community in part of the City where people are from countries where chickens in the back yard are perfectly normal; frequently there are bits in the paper on slow news days about people having Animal Control coming and taking away their chooks! To their consternation!!

Fran
17-01-2008, 12:33 AM
Hmmmm not sure where Kay got her info from then :?

Are Hens noisy Smudgley? Would the neighbours have cause to complain?

dandysmom
17-01-2008, 12:43 AM
Fran, my grandma's chickens weren't noisy at all, just gentle soft clucking, unlike the rooster, who as everyone knows is noisy!!

Fran
17-01-2008, 09:28 AM
It's the possible noise that puts me off more than anything tbh. Our neighbours on one side are not the most tolerant of animal noises :roll: So reassuring to hear they are not particularly noisy! I've been looking at the eglu on the Omlet website, looks really fabby :cool:

smudgley
17-01-2008, 10:27 AM
It's the possible noise that puts me off more than anything tbh. Our neighbours on one side are not the most tolerant of animal noises :roll: So reassuring to hear they are not particularly noisy! I've been looking at the eglu on the Omlet website, looks really fabby :cool:

I knew it wouldn't be long before someone mentioned Eglus:) A few of my friends have got them & they are good.. It's a great forum on Omlet. There are 2 catsey members who use it. ;)

dinahsmum
17-01-2008, 10:43 AM
The Eglus are very funky! If you want a traditional hen house look here http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/ - very smart!
I would love to have a little clutch of laying hens or bantams. Impractical in our tiddly garden and anyway we have a covenent against pig and poultry keeping! :) That may be what you think of as a law. It's not a law, strictly speaking, but a restriction on the use of the land, imposed by the original landowner and the builder in this case. Charlie will be able to explain it more if you really really want to know more :)
Chickens would not cause a noise nuisance - they just murmer as they go about their day, maybe a call of triumph/relief as they lay. Cockerels are quite different but unless you want to eat them there's not much point in having them. Even keeping one with the hens can be a mistake as they often turn into nasty bullies.

Smudgley - how are things at Smudgley towers today? Hope there are no red eyes and that you are looking forwards rather then going 'what if/if only'. I think you should restock as soon as you feel able. Maybe get different looking girls (Marans - grey speckles which lay almost chestnut brown eggs?), or a few exotic bantams - little girls with feathered feet etc?
Take care

Fran
17-01-2008, 11:04 AM
I knew it wouldn't be long before someone mentioned Eglus:) A few of my friends have got them & they are good..

Are the runs really fox proof? and they don't look overly big, are they big enough for 2 or 3 hens?

dinahsmum
17-01-2008, 11:11 AM
I must admit that they seem very small to me.

smudgley
17-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Are the runs really fox proof? and they don't look overly big, are they big enough for 2 or 3 hens?

I wouldn't have one & I doubt if the run would really be fox proof, with a very determined fox but the eglus certainly are fox proof. IMO they are way too small though.

smudgley
17-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Smudgley - how are things at Smudgley towers today? Hope there are no red eyes and that you are looking forwards rather then going 'what if/if only'. I think you should restock as soon as you feel able. Maybe get different looking girls (Marans - grey speckles which lay almost chestnut brown eggs?), or a few exotic bantams - little girls with feathered feet etc?
Take care[/quote]

Things are good here today. We have had a discussion about a few things in general, not so much the chickens, just a few things about being responsible.

We are geting chickens again, as soon as we can. MAybe this weekend or next one.

I will still encourage the girls to be helpful & take part in loking after the chickens, they are our family pets & I wouldn't tell them they couldn't go near them.... no point in that. However they do now know that they need to be mindful of routines etc.

A lesson to us all & myself & John will check the chickens when we go down the cat pen to put the cats to bed each evening.

We are getting some black rocks & calder rangers. Can't wait!

Kazz
17-01-2008, 08:43 PM
Maybe put a board up outside Smudgley saying chickens in chickens out or a flag to run up a pole when the chickens are out. :)

smudgley
17-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Maybe put a board up outside Smudgley saying chickens in chickens out or a flag to run up a pole when the chickens are out. :)

Don't think the board would work, but I love the flag idea Kazz, that is so clever. I might see what John thinks. The flag could be near the house, not the pen, so we know when they are out. Kazz that's great!

Kazz
17-01-2008, 10:18 PM
And maybe to keep the flag up you use something from the chicken pen so you know its up....like a peg or lever thing....?

See I am not just a ornament here....:)

dinahsmum
18-01-2008, 09:48 AM
I was thinking of some sort of 'automatic signal' too Kazz. Open chickens' gate, do something to indicate it. A flag is a great idea - fun too!

smudgley
18-01-2008, 10:15 AM
I was thinking of some sort of 'automatic signal' too Kazz. Open chickens' gate, do something to indicate it. A flag is a great idea - fun too!

When they are out, the big door to their pen is always wide open, but our garden is big & we can't see it from the house :? But yes an indication is a fab idea. I love the flag thing.