PDA

View Full Version : Organs without permission?

Kazz
14-01-2008, 07:01 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...norgans113.xml

Has anyone an opinion on this?

Mags
14-01-2008, 07:12 PM
I certainly don't think they should take organs from dead people without consent, it's like desecration of a loved one's body.

However I do agree with donor cards and think that more people should carry them and they should always make sure their relatives are aware of their decision.

Moofster
14-01-2008, 07:21 PM
But isnt the scheme an 'opt out' one. I think it would really help many people waiting for organs. My friend has been waiting for a kidney for 15 yrs, his has to go for dialysis (sp) 5 times and week and it knocks him for a sixer :(

I think a lot of people would donate but cant be bothered to get the card. If it was an opt out scheme, then those who definately dont want to donate can make sure their wishes are known.

They have the scheme here in Spain and apparently its supposed to be the best in the world :shock: as reported on the Beeb this morning while they were reporting on this subject ! So it must be true if it was on the Beeb :-D

alexgirl73
14-01-2008, 08:05 PM
I'm with Moofster on this one, I think an opt out scheme is the way to go.

Kim
14-01-2008, 08:21 PM
Yes, I agree with Moofster too. If anyone was really against it, they should make their feelings known. There is a huge shortage of people donating organs, and whilst I respect that this is not everyones wishes, what use are our organs to us once we have passed over? Far better I think that they can be used to save someones life or give them quality of life.

dandysmom
14-01-2008, 09:09 PM
I'm for the opt out also. There is a crying need for organ donations; thousands die because o the lack. People who feel strongly that they don't want to donate would have that choice. I carry a donor card, even though I wonder of past a certain age the organs would be useable...it's nice to think that when you're gone you have given the gift of sight or even life to another person....

Kazz
14-01-2008, 09:28 PM
I think the Opt out option is the best one.

EmmaG
14-01-2008, 09:33 PM
I also agree that an Opt out one is better, if people are that against it they will register.

dandysmom
14-01-2008, 09:47 PM
Question: do any of you carry a donor card?

Moofster
14-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Question: do any of you carry a donor card?

As I live in Spain I dont have to unless I want to opt out and I dont - I'd be more that happy to donate :)

EmmaG
14-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Use to, but lost it ages ago

Kazz
14-01-2008, 10:19 PM
Yeap I have a donor card and I am also registered with the organ donation register.....this is the link. http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/how_to_become_a_donor/registration/consent.jsp

alexgirl73
14-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Ditto Karen, I am also registered with them, and have my card in my purse at all times. Also my hubby knows my wishes to have anything donated if the situation arose, while he says they can have everything except his eyes lol!!

babycakes
14-01-2008, 10:25 PM
I think it should be an opt out scheme too. We don't need them when we are gone. plain and simple ( I know people are grieving but I personally would feel better knowing my loved one was helping someone else) Anyway if it's their wish, its not ours to go against.

Kazz
14-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Thats weird Alex as Dave my OH says the same thing they can have everything except his eyes.....to be honest it makes me kinda "shuddery" donating my eyes but would be more than happy to do so.

alexgirl73
14-01-2008, 11:05 PM
lol, must be a man thing Karen!!

dandysmom
14-01-2008, 11:14 PM
I absolutely don't get about the eyes?! If there is going to be an open casket the eyes would be closed anyway...and as blindness has always been a dread of mine I think giving sight to someone would be a wonderful thing. Maybe it is a guy thing....

Grete
15-01-2008, 04:12 PM
I agree also that having the opt out scheme is the best way forwards. I don't carry a donor card but I have the thing on my drivers license that I consent to organ donation (everything but eyes but that's cos no one would want my eyes) ;)

Emm
15-01-2008, 04:41 PM
well I'm going to be the odd one out - I don't believe in the opt out scheme - I think you should have to opt in. If you have a donor card and have signed it then they should be allowed to use your organs because that is your wish.

But I don't think people should be made to feel guilty about not wanting to offer their organs - and I don't think it should be forced upon them - I mean how exactly will the opt out work - where are they going to check for the info?

The reason I do not have a donor card is because we don't have a full understanding of the dying process - I know once you're gone your organs are of no use but do we have souls and if we do how long before they leave your body how much are we aware of - I know most will think I'm crazy and selfish but thats my view.

dandysmom
15-01-2008, 05:13 PM
No, Emm, I don't think you're crazy or selfish at all. You have your opinion based on belief, and every right to act on it. As I have no family I plan on cremation as it seems such a waste not to donate to me, but again, that's my belief.

Kim
15-01-2008, 07:28 PM
Emm, I don't think you are crazy either, it is a personal choice. I am a Christian and therefore believe we have eternal life and that our earthly bodies are no good once we have passed over. My parents were cremated and their organs couldn't be used, sadly, but I think that if someone is going to be burned anyway, what is the point of burning these vital organs that several people could make use of! Just my belief though. :)

Moofster
15-01-2008, 08:18 PM
Emm, I dont think you are the odd one out at all, you have your opinion and you are right to share it with us. Its great to hear all the sides of any debate to help understand the issues better.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'feeling guilty' about not donating, I respect peoples choice and would certainly not like to make anyone feel guilty about it at all. Its all about choice.

It just seems a shame that so many people often say 'oh yeah, I'd happily donate', but dont do anything about it. Maybe the people that are putting this scheme together believe that there are more wanting to donate than opt out :smt102 . I just think at least they are trying to address the shortfall.

tilly
19-01-2008, 12:37 PM
while he says they can have everything except his eyes lol!!

I have written when I got my driving liecence that they could have everything except my eyes as it gave me the creeps.

anyway the way I see it is they won't be any good to me and I will knind of get a second run helping someone esle out. I have said this to my mum when I filled it out, I think we were having the discussion some time. My only wish is they make absolutely sure I am dead!

Just to make sre I have followed the link and joind online as well. it is facinatin to read about it.