PDA

View Full Version : What Does Your Cat SMELL Like?

angieh
14-01-2008, 05:38 PM
I don't mean the yucky smells, like occasional bad breath etc.!

But if you put your nose into his or her fur, what does he or she smell like to you?

Merlin currently smells of toast, but he has in the past reminded me of toffee apples ............

I take it you DO bury your noses in your cat's fur??????? (So sorry if it makes you sneeze!)

Moofster
14-01-2008, 05:40 PM
Miss Moofi smells of fabric conditioner :smt049 cos shes snugged up on my dressing gown

Tink & Pepsi smell of earth/grass, cos they've been sleeping under trees in the garden :smt007

and Dino doesnt smell of anything but fur :-D

sarah5
14-01-2008, 05:52 PM
Oooooooh Scrabble smells DELICIOUS!!! He just smells warm and, um well Scrabble like HAHA!

Can't take a deep sniff of Thomas right now because he is infested with fleas right now EURGH

Tom_J
14-01-2008, 06:27 PM
i cant put a smell to what oli smells like but i know its nice ;) :D

yola
14-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Balie usually smells ever so fragrant - I call him my little flower :shock: Fifi, even after being washed just smells dusty!

Kazz
14-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Cleo always smelt warm and like me :) mind you she spends
so much time asleep on my bed, that is hardly surprising.

Oscar smelt of the outdoors very fresh unless he has been under a car and smelt of oil.....:)

Donna
14-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Chloe smells of Cheerios :-)

dandysmom
14-01-2008, 09:02 PM
It's hard to describe: Leia just smells like clean fur .....

Liz
14-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Some of ours are quite woody in smell - they love the woods and pine needles

Some like fabric softner and of course I have a puppy currently smelling of deer dodo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maverick our 3 legged hooligan aged 5 still smells hormonal despite being done!!!!!

random
14-01-2008, 09:37 PM
I don't know really, just cat! But Tucker does have a distinct smell, not bad or anything, he just smells of Tucker! At first I thought it was because he is male and the others are were all girls but Colin doesn't smell the same.

catsmum
14-01-2008, 09:39 PM
This post has made my day!!!!!!!!!!!!! My cats do have their own smell you know when Ihaven't hugged them when I have perfume on :lol: :lol: Seriously though Dave can hold a cat in front of me and I can sniff and I know which one it is. They all smell warm and furry but I can really smell their own smell. O.K so I am weird LOL :p But my nose is really sensitive from when I did Beauty Therapy and did a lot of Aromatherapy. Jefferson when likes it when I bury my nose into the back of his necj for a snuzzle, he smells lovely. Can't describe the smells, of course all are clean but unique to each cat

think I will end now before any of you send the men round in white coats :lol: :lol:

babycakes
14-01-2008, 10:22 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: To Catsmum...

Our poor cats eh if we are not measuring their ears or tums and weighing them we are burying our noses in.....

Must admit I smell Denis a lot just to make sure he is clean really and he is, doesn't remind me of anything other than Denis. I have to say though I love it when he has sweaty feet!!!!! :oops: I could never get my head round the fact that cats have proper sweaty feet....................:roll:

Elaine
14-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Eva smells of warm wee, just like her old mum:lol: :lol: :lol:
No seriously, she smells good to me, so does Bernie, not sure exactly what the smell is, if its what I smell like or if its just them, but they smell lovely to me.
I love to bury my face in their fur, sadly Bernie thinks its a bit too weird and runs off, if you catch Eva in a settled mood then she just lets you sniff her and snuggle her, just dont touch the paws or the tummy, unless you want to be shredded that is.:-D

dandysmom
14-01-2008, 11:22 PM
I wish we could read their minds when we're doing weird things like measuring their height at their shoulders, or the length of their tails, etc! Leia looks at me as if I have lost my mind ....:-D...she doesn't mind sniffing, though...

angieh
14-01-2008, 11:57 PM
I have laughed out loud reading these posts! Catsmum - I don't think you're going bonkers at all! It's intriguing how we relate to smell - I find it stirs up forgotten memories - I love herbal and lemony scents (scented geraniums are great). Cheerios now - I can relate to that. When I said Merlin smelt of toast, it could actually be Cheerios. Can I ask those who said warm clean fur to try and match to another more describable scent??????

dandysmom
15-01-2008, 12:38 AM
Sorry, Angie, I'm a smoker and don't have that great a sense of smell...just warm clean fur smell is the best can do...

Tinker
15-01-2008, 09:26 AM
I love the smell of cat. Well apart from when the kittens fart. Why do kittens fart so much?

CathyW
15-01-2008, 10:39 AM
barnaby used to smell like an old litter tray, he used to try n sleep in one.(strange cat)
reggies breath always smells fishy,but their fur smells like fur,(just had a sniff LOL)

Jac
15-01-2008, 11:15 AM
My two smell of babypowder. I use that before i brush them.

dinahsmum
15-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Sort of biscuits, I think

yola
15-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Sort of biscuits, I think

Custard creams (yummmm) or cat biscuits :shock:

dinahsmum
15-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Custard creams is a good one.

Don't you love it in summer when they've found a nice spot outside for a sleep and they come in smelling of warm grass or hay?

Kazz
15-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Thats what Oscar smells of mostly fresh the outside. Unless its oil...from under a car :) Cleo alwys warm an maybe biscuits/shortbread is a good example.I know when Cleo was getting older her scent changed just slightly.

random
15-01-2008, 01:42 PM
barnaby used to smell like an old litter tray, he used to try n sleep in one.(strange cat)
reggies breath always smells fishy,but their fur smells like fur,(just had a sniff LOL)

PUPPYYYYYY, you can't beat that smell, kittens don't really have a distinct baby smell for long do they? Puppies have a lovely smell, ahhhh.....I smelt one just this morning actually! :lol: :lol: :lol:

angieh
15-01-2008, 03:12 PM
I love the smell of cat. Well apart from when the kittens fart. Why do kittens fart so much?

Amazing - DO kittens fart that much????

Thats what Oscar smells of mostly fresh the outside. Unless its oil...from under a car :) Cleo alwys warm an maybe biscuits/shortbread is a good example.I know when Cleo was getting older her scent changed just slightly.

That's really interesting Kazz.

We know animals' sense of smell is so much better than ours - I always think that's a real pity.

Thank you all for your posts - wonderful! :D

Grete
15-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Heheh what a great thread :) Fizz has a slightly sweet smell that is lovely, she seems to like me buring my nose in her fur ;) Bubbles doesn't so I've not had a chance to sniff her much :)

And farting isn't restricted to kittens! Fizz trumps a fair amount (occasionally when her back end is near my face ugh). Then she doesn't smell so good ;) Bubbles sometimes lets one go when she's jumping - gas assisted I think ;)

angieh
15-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Heheh what a great thread :) Fizz has a slightly sweet smell that is lovely, she seems to like me buring my nose in her fur ;) Bubbles doesn't so I've not had a chance to sniff her much :)

And farting isn't restricted to kittens! Fizz trumps a fair amount (occasionally when her back end is near my face ugh). Then she doesn't smell so good ;) Bubbles sometimes lets one go when she's jumping - gas assisted I think ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: e-type kitty???

Tom_J
15-01-2008, 05:24 PM
lol when you said about sweaty feet i remeber a few days ago oli did, its strange that they do have sweaty feet.

Great thread :D;)

northern lass
15-01-2008, 11:15 PM
what a wonderful question - seems we all love to sniff our cats (like they like to sniff us). Max and Oli smell warm and cosy !, except when they have been outside then they smell foreign (especially if they have sneaked next door !!)

Funny how the fur has a comforting smell but sometimes the breath is revolting, especially as they lick themselves to spread the sent ?

babycakes
15-01-2008, 11:55 PM
what a wonderful question - seems we all love to sniff our cats (like they like to sniff us). Max and Oli smell warm and cosy !, except when they have been outside then they smell foreign (especially if they have sneaked next door !!)

Funny how the fur has a comforting smell but sometimes the breath is revolting, especially as they lick themselves to spread the sent ?

interresting point :lol:

northern lass
16-01-2008, 12:03 AM
I need to learn to spell - scent not sent - can we have an auto spell checker pls !!

dandysmom
16-01-2008, 12:40 AM
Doesn't it show up on your screen underlined in red when you mistype or misspell a word? I just assumed we had one; maybe it's on my Mac, not Catsey ....:smt017

Mags
16-01-2008, 12:47 AM
Doesn't it show up on your screen underlined in red when you mistype or misspell a word? I just assumed we had one; maybe it's on my Mac, not Catsey ....:smt017
My errors show up underlined in red as well Eileen...:D

Moli
16-01-2008, 12:48 AM
Mine don't:(

dandysmom
16-01-2008, 02:37 AM
Then maybe it is a Mac thing...speak up, peeps, what happens on yours?

Tink
16-01-2008, 06:27 AM
Love!!!...

PoshPuss
16-01-2008, 01:16 PM
I'm glad this thread was posted as I thought I was slightly bananas:lol: when I first noticed that there is a warm smell about Posh that was unique. I thought it was the room scent thing I had for Christmas but no, it's her fur . It smells of sweet milky vanilla, I think somebody said custard creams, yes, that's very close. I don't give her milk to drink, she favours fish and chicken to eat so where does this smell come from :?

northern lass
16-01-2008, 08:35 PM

trouble is a spell checker doesn't pick up when ewe use the wrong word spelt write !! :D

Bye the way the kitten smell of chocolate brownies today, because the kids have dropped bits all over the floor :roll:

Tom_J
16-01-2008, 08:47 PM

Nope mine dont show up underlined in red if spelt wrong either

dandysmom
16-01-2008, 08:57 PM
trouble is a spell checker doesn't pick up when ewe use the wrong word spelt write !! :D

Bye the way the kitten smell of chocolate brownies today, because the kids have dropped bits all over the floor :roll:

Too true, and a clever way to point it out! Another reason I always use Preview .......

rumbletum
19-02-2008, 01:37 AM
my holly smells sort of dry and spicy like a cupboard that hasnt been opened for a while, i sniff her tail which over the years she has gotten used too but still gives me the evil eye like shes going to scratch my face off if i linger too long, scruff unfortunatly smells a bit like cat wee so i dont sniff her too deeply!!

ellenlouise
19-02-2008, 01:38 PM
My kittens smell like cocunut body lotion. Thankyou to boysmum I have worked this out. lol

Kay
20-02-2008, 10:35 PM
Roxy smells of her lovely cat shampoo as she has just been bathed ready for Saturday, Angel smells of fresh Catsan as she has been layed in the newly cleaned litter tray so no-one else can use it before her and the others don't really smell of anything.