PDA

View Full Version : cats protection dilema {help}

smudgley
12-01-2008, 10:03 PM
As most of you know I am very involved in my local CP branch.

I have been asked today if I will become the fostering officer as the couple who currently do it have decided they no longer want to do it. It is looking after all the fosterers, assesing potential new fosterers,ensuring they are all happy & are sticking to the guidelines set by CP & that they all have supplies etc.

I have said I will think about it, but that if I do it, I will have to give up something else.

I have already said I want to do less fostering this year as I don't feel I have the time needed for all the cats, but more-so I don't have time for all the people who view them/adopt them.

What shall I do?

I am the neutering officer, I do all the microchipping for all the cats in our care, deal with some calls about found cats, although not that many now as I gave up the "lost & found" line before Christmas. And obviously I have 4 cat pens of foster cats. I aslo do some running around with cats and supplies too. I like doing the neutering vouchers as I'm quite pro-active in promoting neutering. I don't mind doing the microchipping & noone else will do it....:roll:

What shall I do?

I thought about suggesting that I will continue with the neutering & microchipping, but to cut right down on the fostering & just have one pen in use.

Any thoughts?

dandysmom
12-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Quite a dilemma! You are spread pretty thin, aren't you! What does John think? My personal choice would be reducing the fostering to one pen and see how that goes....

alexgirl73
12-01-2008, 10:18 PM
It's a hard one Kel, but at the end of the day, you need to have a life too. It's so easy to find that CP stuff creeping into every minute of the day and I think you seriously need to take a break before you end up becoming disillusioned with it all. I think your idea of cutting back to one or 2 pens is a good one, and that will give you a bit more time to yourself. The fostering officer role is a big one though so any time gained will probably end up going to that. Surely there must be someone else within the branch that can do some of these jobs!

smudgley
12-01-2008, 10:26 PM
I think if I reduced the fostering to one pen, that would free up loads of time & give me chance to do the fostering officer. Noone can believe just how much time it takes when people adopt a cat. If I have 4 litters of cats in & 4 moms. Say that's about 20 cats in all. Well that's 20 folks co come & view the cats and ask lots of Q's & then 20 folks to come & collect their cats & do all the paperwork etc..... I think all of this time could be much better spent helping in another way & I think I'd be more chilled out too! The fostering officer is more of a contact for people. We also have 3 new fosterers awaiting pens which means we'll have more fosterers soon. One of them works at a vets & I'm not sure if she's a VN or receptionist. But I'm going to see if she's trained / would get trained to do some of the Microchipping.

Kazz
12-01-2008, 10:33 PM
Can I speak freely....I think when you post nowadays you sound stressed and rushed off your feet.

I do think you should cut down on the fostering. Maybe one emergency pen but no regular pen.

Try the fostering officer job. If you want to and think you can do it do the neuturing and microchipping too. Not sure how much time they take, but maybe see if someone wants to take part of the responsibility of microchipping maybe (ie cut the area in half or something) take half each.

But I think if you carry on as you are you will become disillusioned and that would be sad.

Take care and whatever you decide has to fit in with you and the family not the other way round. And enjoy life.

Kazz
12-01-2008, 10:34 PM
That will teach me to go the loo before posting I replied when there was just your inital post now I am reply number 5....:)

dandysmom
12-01-2008, 11:14 PM
Another thing you didn't mention was the wasted time when people say they are coming by to look at a cat and you wait and wait and they don't show up! I agree with Kazz, you do sound stressed lately, and need some "me" time!

smudgley
12-01-2008, 11:28 PM
Do I sound stressed? :? Well I am a bit peed off at work as well at the mo, but that's because we are so busy. :(

The microchipping isn't that time consuming really. There were 3 other people from the branch trained to do it. One has left. :roll: One won't do it as she doesn't like it :roll: the other sits back & lets me do it all. Maybe I should request that she starts doing it again. after all CP paid for their training :shock: (They didn't even pay for mine) :roll: . DM is so right about the time wasting people too. I really feel that if I just have one pen for fostering, I will be refreshed & able to liase with the fosterers, it's not a big role by any stretch of imagination, just making sure things are ticking along nicely. :)

babycakes
12-01-2008, 11:35 PM
I think because you are so good at what you do and they are thin on the ground they are relying on you doing it. But there is only so much that everyone can give to...ie doing everything asked of you versus giving 100% to a few things and doing them well. If you wanted you could offer to do it for a fixed term til they found someone else and then you will help ve the potential new comers?? maybe

smudgley
12-01-2008, 11:52 PM
that is very true BC.

Do you know that's exactly what I said to my old boss about my new boss last Friday? We are supposed to be sharing a big project, but she takes on so many things / won't say no & won't delegate, that she does none of them at all well. I said to my old boss that she'd (new boss) be much better off doing half the things & doing them properly - than all the things & not actually achieving any of them.

I will continue pondering over the CP dilema.

thanks for all your thoughts.

angieh
13-01-2008, 12:52 AM
I am sure in your heart Smudgley that you know how you want to handle this difficult and delicate decision. I seem to remember in a previous thread about New Year resolutions, you said you hoped to cut down on CP work. I think cutting down on the fostering pens sounds like a good start - taking on more work doesn't. Please take good care of yourself.

Jac
13-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Kel. You are in exactly the same place as I was with the dogs! It was taking over my life. I had dogs at home and in kennels. Every phone call was about a dog. The older kids started to resent what I was doing.
Plus all the time wasters!
As you know I ended up giving up totally.
I would hate to see you giving up. Cut back to one pen. Give the other job a go and see how you feel. Delegate!!!!
Good luck. Please let us know what you decide to do and how it goes.

miki
13-01-2008, 11:36 AM
smudlgley can I ask you what job you have? You work in a shelter?
I would agree with others that try fostering less cats than because if you are a supervisor you can help cats more in a long run. And convince as many people as you can to foster cats.

smudgley
13-01-2008, 11:41 AM
smudlgley can I ask you what job you have? You work in a shelter?
I would agree with others that try fostering less cats than because if you are a supervisor you can help cats more in a long run. And convince as many people as you can to foster cats.

hi Miki, No I don't work in a shelter. I work full time with dogs. The cat rescue stuff is completely seperate to my full time job & the cat stuff is all voluntary.:)

miki
13-01-2008, 12:09 PM
OH...
They you must be really bussy :)

smudgley
13-01-2008, 12:11 PM
I am, but then I enjoy being a busy-bee. :)

Ooh- just noticed this is my 6000th post!

dinahsmum
14-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Do what you think is right S, but don't spread yourself so thinly that you and your family start missing out. Balance is everything. But you are a balanced person
(Congrats/commiserations on the 6000! :-D )

Grete
15-01-2008, 04:47 PM
I have to agree with what has been said, you need to do what you feel is right for you and your family. You have done so much already rescuing the cats you have and maybe it is time to switch focus to another area of cat rescue. Supporting other fosterers will help just as many cats if not more as you can provide a lot of advice and insight having been there yourself.

You can't do it all without cost to yourself and then that doesn't help anyone :)

*hugs*

smudgley
15-01-2008, 11:23 PM
I have to agree with what has been said, you need to do what you feel is right for you and your family. You have done so much already rescuing the cats you have and maybe it is time to switch focus to another area of cat rescue. Supporting other fosterers will help just as many cats if not more as you can provide a lot of advice and insight having been there yourself.

You can't do it all without cost to yourself and then that doesn't help anyone :)

*hugs*

You've summed it up beautifully. You are so right. I do want/need a break from the fostering & I do want to have a new challenge / focus but still help the cats & I guess if I am pro-active in recruiting volunteers for fostering then everyones a winner.

RIGHT!

Roll up, roll up..... foster cats for fostering, roll up, roll up,.... get your foster cats here...... all you local folk.... roll up! KAZZ,.................. KITTY KAT...............Any more locals, come on ......................

alexgirl73
15-01-2008, 11:44 PM
oh yes, KAREN!!!! A nice pen for the garden lol.

Kazz
16-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Listen I have applied again for the local branch to me. :) not holding my breath. But I am too far away for Sumdgley's lot :( Otherwise I would be there....

dandysmom
16-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Fingers crossed again for you, Kazz!

kitty cat
18-01-2008, 11:24 AM
i have a lovely big garden that would fit a pen nicely and with working nights am here all day.

smudgley
18-01-2008, 11:40 AM
i have a lovely big garden that would fit a pen nicely and with working nights am here all day.

:shock:

Are you serious.

Are you offering?

:smt026

babycakes
18-01-2008, 06:48 PM