PDA

View Full Version : More about my little ones

mumof3
12-01-2008, 10:01 AM
Daisy, Jake and Alfie are all from the same litter, we were originally only going to have 2 kittens but decided we couldnt leave one of them behind...hence we now have all three!
Previous to getting these three we had adopted two kittens from a rescue centre but after having them for only two days we got a call from the centre saying the mother had been diagnosed with HIV and we should take the kittens to the vets for a check. They both had the virus so had to be pts.
We were very sad to lose them after such a short time and decided straight away to find some more kittens that needed a home. A friend of mine had had some kittens from a lady that owned a farm and her farm cat had just had more kittens. Athough we had intended getting rescue kittens again we decided that these kittens needed a loving home too and went off to choose two.
They were only 4 weeks old when we first saw them so had to wait a few weeks until they were ready to leave mum. When the time came we set off to pick up Daisy and Alfie still convinced we were only going to take those two home. On the way there, I found myself chosing a name for the third one, thats when I realised our family had just increased!
We are so pleased we had them all, they have such a close bond and play together so well that it would have been so sad to separate them.
I'm just glad there wasnt more in the litter!

mumof3
12-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Sorry....HIV should read FIV.

yola
12-01-2008, 10:20 AM
FIV is not really a reason to destroy a cat, although some vets still do recommend it :shock: A cat can live quite a long, healthy life (in some cases) with FIV with the right observation and management. I had an older FIV cat for several years and although he was a bit of a drain on the finances, he was essentially a happy, lovely cat who was docile as you like.

But, having said that it's lovely to hear the story behind your 3-some and how you came to have them :D

Jac
12-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Such a shame that the vet put your kittens to sleep. As Yola said it is a condition that you can live with.

You sound like a lot of us here. There are a few that would have done the same and take all three. I'm including myself here:D

Your kittens are stunning. Welcome to catsey

mumof3
12-01-2008, 11:35 AM
The previous kittens we had with FIV were semi feral and very timid, we were aware of this when we adopted them and were prepared for the problems that went with this. We knew that it would take a lot of patience and love to bring them round but we felt that with time they would accept and learn to trust us.
However, the vet explained that we would not be able to let them out as if they became involved in fights with other cats they could infect them too. It was a hard decision to make but we had to trust the vets advice.
I believe that everything happens for a reason and we were not meant to have these two but we were meant for the three we have now.

Jac
12-01-2008, 11:49 AM
I'm so sorry Mumof3 and in no way am I getting at you. You went on your Vets advice and did what you believed to be the right thing for the kittens. It must have been very hard.
I think your Vet has some dated opinions about virus carriers. I have a cat that's a virus carrier. In fact he nearly died as a baby. My vet gave him the best care and he pulled through. He lives with another cat. Lives a normal life. He is a happy playful bundle of love. There are other's here too that have virus carriers but they live normal happy life's. To be honest, if I were you I'd find another vet.

mumof3
12-01-2008, 11:55 AM
Hi Jac
I didnt think you were having a go at me, I just wanted to explain that we were going on the vets advice. We took the kittens to the vet advised by the rescue centre, this vet was also treating the mum cat.
I agree with you about the vet, we never went back there, our three go to a different vet now, they are so much nicer and looking after my little ones wonderfully!

Jac
12-01-2008, 12:11 PM
Oh that's good. I was worried that you were using the same Vet and he would advise you to have the little one's with the heart murmurs pts.
They can grow out of them, plus if they dont they can still go on to be "normal".

mumof3
12-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Nothing "normal" about these three...they are crazy! :-)

Jac
12-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Nothing "normal" about these three...they are crazy! :-)

That's "normal" you should see my two:shock: :lol: