PDA

View Full Version : Flea spot on made Kitty bald!

carolinexx
11-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Well after Kitty having tapeworm, we had to treat her for fleas. I hadn't seen any on her as she hasn't been allowed out since we got her, so it was a preventative measure really.

So my vet uses Advantage, gave me some for Kitty which I used on Tues, and she now has a bald patch where I put the spot on on her! I use this on the dogs too and have never had that reaction before. Has anyone else had a reaction like this?

I will have to ask the vet for a different type next time.

Mags
11-01-2008, 01:25 PM
I've never heard of Advantage leaving bald spots before..:?

I suppose it was Advantage for cats that you used and not the one for dogs?

carolinexx
11-01-2008, 01:56 PM
Funny you should say that!

On the advice of my vet ( who I have been seeing for 10 years and totally trust him!) and the vet nurse, apparently the dog and cat spot ons are the same, they give me the 4ml tubes with a syringe so I can measure the correct dose, was told 0.5ml for Kitty, I even had the vet nurse write the dosages on the box I had so I didn't get it wrong!

Kitty is back at the vets in a couple of weeks for her 2nd vacc so I shall keep an eye on it and mention it to the vet when I see him.

John
11-01-2008, 02:10 PM
I always thought cat and dog flea treatments were differant..ie dont use a dog flea treatment on a cat..I think I would check with a vet before done it again..

carolinexx
11-01-2008, 02:14 PM
But it was my vet who told me to use the dog one as they are both the same, just different amounts needed on each animal determined by their weight.

I have only done what I was told by my vet:D

yola
11-01-2008, 03:06 PM
I think, remembering back when one of my Persians was small, he had a similar reaction. Can't remember how many times, but I have used Advantage on him (in pre-measured tubes) for the last almost 11 years and he's been fine.

But all cats are different and Kitty could have a sensitivity to it. Best run it by the vet when you next see him/her.

cybeeb
23-01-2008, 05:08 AM
We have 26 cats and 6 dogs. Our vet sells us the biggest tubes of advantage they make (for extra large dogs). They gave us a chart on how much to use depending on body weight. It is the same medicine for cats and dogs.
We had 2 cats out of 26 have the same reaction and the vet said just to keep an eye on them. They both healed and the next time we used advantage neither one had a reaction.
You might try a different brand next time or try the same one and see if they have a reaction. Ours only had a reaction one time. And both cats that had the reaction are our deaf ones, who are supposed to have lower immunity.
Good luck.

Tink
23-01-2008, 09:39 AM
maybe your kitty just has a personal allergic reaction to it?

carolinexx
29-01-2008, 01:17 PM
UPDATE

Well Kitty had her 2nd vaccs today.

The vet has never seen this reaction to Advantage either, so I now have some Frontline to try when she's due her treatment next week. At least her fur is beginning to grow back though!

I did notice last night that she has scratched herself raw around her collar, I've taken it off now as it really seemed to be annoying her and she had made herself bleed. She seems happier without her collar, we've tried 3 different collars since we got her (6weeks ago!) thinking it was the material of the collar that was annoying her. The vet had a good look at her skin and thinks she may have an allergy, to what he doesn't know. Could be flea bites, pollen, dust, food, anything really. Anyway he gave her an anti-inflammatory jab and see how she goes.

If she starts scratching herself raw again, she may need a longer lasting steroid jab. He also suggested if it becomes an ongoing problem, it may be worth getting her allergy tested. So far since we got her she has cost me more at the vets than both my 2 dogs! Lets hope that's it for now.

Still love having her around though, my household now seems complete!