PDA

View Full Version : Desperate for Practical Advice - Herpes Virus

Casper'sMum
09-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Hi

I'm new to the site but having read a few posts it seems like a warm and welcoming palce to be - phew.

I have seen a thread relating to herpes but didn't want to hijack it.

I have a gorgeous kitten who is just over 4 months old. When I brought him he displayed no flu symptoms but developed them within the first week we had him. He has been under veterinary care throughout and is on anti-biotics and eye paste right now, having spent 3 days in the vet hospital last week. That was a scary few days as we thought he may be developing pneumonia. Lets just say the New Years eve champers waited until he came home!

He is still recieving treatment so I don't really know yet what, if any ongoing symptoms he will have.

I found out the results of his swabs today and the vet confirmed he has herpes virus and is very likely to be a lifelong carrier.

I know how lucky we are compared with some others, we have no other cats and he appears to be doing really well now.

I think I understand the medical implications of this but am looking to talk with a cat owner who has gone through this and come out the other side and can help me with the more day to day effects. I am concerned that we will not easily find a cattery to take him if we go away, concerned about infecting cats in houses we may visit and had hoped to have another kitten in the next 6 months but now fear we can't.

Can anyone advise me please? I would be so grateful.

many many thanks

Geraldine

yola
09-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Geraldine, a warm welcome to Catsey! So sorry that you're joining us with such a worry on your mind.

I don't have direct experience of cats with the herpes virus and to be honest didn't know it existed!

I do hope someone will be along shortly that can share some information and help put your mind at rest.

Casper'sMum
09-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Many thanks for the welcome. Sadly it does exist and is one of the viruses that cause flu symptoms in cats.

My poor boy is on the mend now but will always have it -very like humans and the cold sore virus, so may not have active symptoms but can get them at any time.

Jac
09-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Hi Caspers Mum and a warm welcome to Catsey.

My Caspurr is a Caliche virus carrier. He was fine when I got him from his breeder but within a week was walking with a limp, sticky eyes, sore nose and sneezing. If It hadn't been for this site I would have lost him.

Before he was diagnosed I got another kitten. Thankfully she was fully vaccinated so it didn't effect her too badly . Both my cats are indoor cats.

Dont worry too much. Its normally stress that will bring on an attack and I'm pleased to report Caspurr has been fine since then.

There are other's here too. It's not all doom and gloom and there is life with "carrier" cats. It just feels like the end of the world when there first diagnosed. Your not alone.

charliebubs
09-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Hi Geraldine and welcome :)

I don't have any direct experience of the herpes virus, but have a bit of knowledge about the calici virus (another form of cat flu) from my time working at Wood Green Shelter.

I know that it's likely that any cat who has either virus is likely to be a lifelong carrier, but may not always show symptoms. I think that periods of stress can bring out the symptoms and cause the cat to "shed" the virus making him/her contagious.

I would suggest that you don't even think about putting him in a cattery should you go away. I don't think the cattery would take him on for a start, but I also think it would be unfair to put other cats at risk. :( I think that getting a pet sitter to come to your home and look after the little fella would be a much better idea. Plus he wouldn't get stressed at home - so he would be less likely to "shed".

Did you get him from a breeder? I note he's a Siamese (and I LOVE Siamese!) :) I think you should speak to the breeder and let her know that she is likely to be harbouring the virus in her household.

As for getting another cat..............I'm not sure what the others on here would suggest, but I'm in 2 minds :? I know that Siamese are very sociable and not very happy to be left on their own and so it would probably be very beneficial for him to have a little companion. However, the chances of that other cat contracting the herpes virus are very high and I'm not sure it would be fair to get another cat knowing that :? Perhaps your vet could offer some advice?

Do you keep him as an indoor cat??

Finally................pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee can we see some pics of the little darling!?!?!?! :) :) :)

Casper'sMum
09-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Thanks so much for the warm welcome.

I'm so pleased that its not all doom and gloom. Vets have to be very direct and deliver the worst possible scenario and we understand that but it can be very scary at first.

I have to admit that today has been consumed with this news and there have been tears! Still we will love and look after him well and hope he doesn't have any permanent symptoms.

Wish I'd thought of Caspurr! Great name.

Casper'sMum
09-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the advice
Its great to get such warm replies.

Casper will be an indoor cat, which I think will be better for him anyway but definitely with his diagnosis.

The vet hs advised not to have a kitten but maybe an older cat who has the benefit of a few years of vaccinations, or maybe give a good home to a rescue cat whi is also a carrier.

We will see, at the moment there is always someone home so he has human company. The most important thing right now is getting him symptom free.

All my pics are too big - will resize and get some on soon

Casper'sMum
09-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Oh and I have been in contact with the breeder and will update her tonight

charliebubs
09-01-2008, 05:02 PM
He sounds a lucky boy to have found you - with all the love and support you're giving him. :)

Keep us posted and look forward to seeing pics. ;)

Jac
09-01-2008, 05:18 PM
I remember it well. I cried on and off for days. Then I was so angry at his breeder it was unreal.
I wouldn't be without Caspurr, I'll never be able to put him in a cattery but there again I wouldn't want to. I'd rather he was looked after in his own home.
If you want to talk, rant whatever. I'm here.;)

Casper'sMum
09-01-2008, 05:27 PM
I veer between anger and sadness - for Casper mainly but also for me if I'm honest.

I think the breeder must have known? Maybe that is harsh.

I had thought when we bought him he would go to my dad when we were away but he has a older cat and that won't be possible now - hence the cattery concerns. I don't really know anyone local to call on. Still not to worry for now, just want him well!

Thanks for the support.

You have other cats though?

Jac
09-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Yeh I do. I have Abi. She's a couple of months older than Caspurr. He didn't show signs until the day after we got Abi. We'd only had Caspurr 8 days.

The breeder didn't want to know and told me she had never heard of the Virus (been breeding 15 years:shock: ) I wouldn't have given him back though.

As Abi was just that little bit older and fully vaccinated she was treated just incase. They are inseprobale.

If I were you I wouldn't rule out another cat. I know other people who have virus carriers in multi cat households. Take advise from your Vet.
Mine didn't see a problem.

EmmaG
09-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Hi there,

My female cat Bronwyn is a carrier of the Herpes Virus, we got her a few years ago as company to my male cat (she is about 4 years younger than him). Before getting her I spoke to my vet who recommended very strongly that she has her cat flu vaccinations every year, this is very important as there are many strains of cat flu. My male cat has always had his vaccinations and the vet advised as he is strong young adult male that her having cat flu shouldn't affect him, no more than him having a cold (we have seen hardly any affects of cat flu with him - sometimes he will sneeze which he never did before but that might be a couple of times a year - very rare)

Once you cat has reached adulthood - he might have the odd bought of sneezing and weepy eyes etc, you might also find that when he gets stressed that it will be worse. With Bronwyn we usually go through this once a year or so, and she was bad recently for about a week but she is fine now, a very active playful cat.

Bronwyn does go outside (when we are home) and it is very unlikely that he will pass it onto another cat, but he should be neutered which will make him less likely to get into fights with other cats. CAn you cat proof your garden so he can go out?

Grete
10-01-2008, 07:48 AM
Sorry to hear about Casper :( But sounds like he is doing well now :) I don't have anything to add other than I thought the suggestion of another cat that is also a carrier sounded like a good idea but if a non carrier that is fully vaccinated would be protected then that's good news too :)

Welcome to Catsey too and can we see some pics of your baby :)

angieh
10-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Hi Casper's Mum - welcome to Catsey. This is a forum of really kind sympathetic people who have given generously of their support to myself and Merlin. Lots of hugs for Casper - hope he is soon symptom free. I remember the bad old days in 50's/60's - my aunt used to have her houseful of cats regularly decimated by cat flu. Things have certainly got better with immunisation etc. Casper is certainly a lucky cat to have found a dedicated owner such as yourself. Good luck - I hope you find a lot of joy together!