PDA

View Full Version : Possible Anal Gland Problem

catsmum
08-01-2008, 11:21 PM
Last night when I got in from work I could smell something really bad. My husband came to greet me at the door and I said "have you broke wind?" He said he had but did it ages ago. i told him it stinks real bad not like a normal trump smell :shock: Anyway tonight we were sat watching the TV and Gabrieele started scooting her bum along the floor in the hallway.

I rushed out and picked her up and she had a tiny bit of poo still poking out. We got that out and she scooted along the floor again.

I rang my friend who was a veterinary nurse and she thinks it could be anal glands. We know it is not worms as ours are house cats and they were given drontal a couple of weeks ago.

So that could explain the bad smell yesterday :p She must be trying to empty them herself. So we are going to take her to the vets tomorrow night after work and get things checked. There is no way I want her doing this around the house and if she is pain/uncomfortable then I want it sorting.

Has anyone else had problems like this? She is almost 5 years old and we have never seen this before :?

smudgley
09-01-2008, 12:28 AM
Sounds like her anal glands to me too.

:-D poor trumping husband :oops:

dinahsmum
09-01-2008, 11:41 AM
It does sound like anal glands.
They smell really awful. Our first cat uused to suffer.
You can tell how bad it was - after dealing with them the vet said "Hold on tight to the cat - I've got to open the window!" Not often a vet admits to finding a smell unbearable.
But your puss will be much more comfortable. Ask the vet about whether you should add more fibre to her diet.

catsmum
09-01-2008, 10:12 PM
well poor Gabrielle was moritified when a finger disappeared you know where :) The good news is that they don't think it is the anal glands as they didn't feel swollen or anything and they got a bit out of them which they would expect. We told them about there being a bit of fur poking out of the poo that was still in her when we saw her rubbing on the floor and it looks like she may have been constipated. So we are moistening her diet a bit now but just lightly so as not to send it the other way. I am relieved for her, bless and she has been clingy tonight so off to give her more hugs and cuddles in a mo :)

Grete
10-01-2008, 07:41 AM
Poor Gabrielle! What an undignified thing to have to happen to a gorgeous puss :)

Glad she is OK and give her hugs and cuddles from us too :)