PDA

View Full Version : emergency catlitter.

CathyW
08-01-2008, 08:33 AM
over christmas our 2 where still *indoors* as we had not long moved house, anyway it was boxing day and had run out of cat litter, so trawled around a few shops and saw some sawdust,(use it for rabbits normally) thought well i dont know worth a try.better than the stinks box at home.
and u know it works, no smell. they still use the tray over night,
its alot quieter LOL no scrunching noises in the middle of the night, and its cheaper.80p for 4 changes of litter.
now this is where i learn some thing bad about the sawdust.

Fran
08-01-2008, 08:37 AM
I know of a lot of breeders that use shavings for their outdoor cats/stud cats. I think the main reason they don't use it indoors is because it can be messy and 'track'. Apart from the problem that it can be a little dusty, I see no reason why you couldn't carry on using it if you are happy.

dinahsmum
08-01-2008, 09:18 AM
If my memory serves, sawdust, or soil or newspaper were used 'in the olden days' of it was necessary to keep a cat in (not a usual thing then).
All are fine as temporary measures, and if you're having no trouble with tracking and your cats are happy - why change. Some of the new 'pellet' type commercial litters are just compressed sawdust.

random
08-01-2008, 09:57 AM
I think if it is the wood shavings with the actual dust extracted, it may leave less tracking. We had to use it one time a few xmas ago when we ran out of litter but I kept rabbits back then so I just used some and the only reason I changed was because it didn't clump and I find the clumping ones easier to clean out on the morning when I pick the clumps out so just convenience really. I know a lot of people who use wood shavings for their dogs when in outdoor kennels and runs.

CathyW
08-01-2008, 06:35 PM
we get a bit of tracking just at the entrance of the litter tray (lidded tray) but we keep the litter box in the bathroom, quite funny really when theres a human in the bathroom and come out the door and theres a q of cats waiting to use their loo LOL

Kay
09-01-2008, 09:44 PM
I have never used it myself but know people who have and are quite happy with it. There are mats that you can get to go outside the litter tray to help stop tracking if it does bother you. If you and the cats are happy with it then I would carry on.

angieh
11-01-2008, 12:16 AM
Does anyone know whether the sawdust you can buy for pet use is sterilised? I think that if it isn't, it can harbour parasites like scabies.

Just a thought because many years ago I had scabies and it was thought at the time that I'd picked it up from non-sterile sawdust.

CathyW
11-01-2008, 09:05 AM
Does anyone know whether the sawdust you can buy for pet use is sterilised? I think that if it isn't, it can harbour parasites like scabies.

Just a thought because many years ago I had scabies and it was thought at the time that I'd picked it up from non-sterile sawdust.oh crikey glad its finished now.:shock: scabies yuk.:?

angieh
11-01-2008, 05:32 PM
oh crikey glad its finished now.:shock: scabies yuk.:?

Yes VERY glad it's over! Not nice at all - don't recommend it to anyone!