PDA

View Full Version : Leia caught a bird ....

dandysmom
07-01-2008, 04:41 PM
In the house! I had been out feeding Onyx and filling the feeder; a little wren had flown onto the porch. When I opened the house door it flew by me and made a beeline to the back room and was batting against the windows. I went to get the broom to try to shoo it back to the front so I could get it on the porch and out, but it was too late...Leia had caught it. :( At least she had killed it at once, so it didn't suffer too much, I hope. She's very efficient at killing the mice instantly so there's not that awful play-with stuff...but I felt very bad; I love birds. I can't really blame her, she's just doing what nature designed her to do, but it was distressing nonetheless.

Scroll past the pic if it will make you sad.....

http://www.catsey.com/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/DSCN1117.jpg%5B/IMG%5D
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/DSCN1117.jpg

Jac
07-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Aww it could have stunned it's self on the window and was oblivious to Leia. Always a hope.

Moli
07-01-2008, 04:45 PM
:( Thats cats for you.....poor little bird, doubt his number was up...:(

Kazz
07-01-2008, 04:58 PM
It is what they do Eileen you can't blame yourself. It is nature,

dandysmom
07-01-2008, 05:14 PM
I know, but it was sad. I don't mind the mice, who wants to share the house with mice? But wrens are such darling little birds.

dinahsmum
07-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Oh dear - they are sweet things.
But Leia was only doing her natural thing .... and it was in her house.

dandysmom
07-01-2008, 08:58 PM
For a house cat she's turned into a really good predator, mice, the rat and now the little wren!

babycakes
07-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Poor birdie but unfortunately cats will be cats and they are very good at it too

charliebubs
07-01-2008, 09:07 PM
She probably thought she was doing you a favour - protecting you?? or catching your dinner?? bless her :)

I know it's not nice to witness though.

Elaine
07-01-2008, 10:59 PM
Poor little wren, but what can you do....
Eva is the same, she just kills outright, none of the playing nonsense.

dandysmom
07-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Poor little wren, but what can you do....
Eva is the same, she just kills outright, none of the playing nonsense.

I've said this before, Eva and Leia are sisters under the skin...:-D

Kay
09-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Nothing as cruel as nature unfortunately................. except man.

angieh
11-01-2008, 12:11 AM
Nothing as cruel as nature unfortunately................. except man.

Yeah.

Reminds me of a strange thing that happened a couple of summers ago. I went into our lounge to pull the curtains in the morning and picked up a jumper I had left on the sofa and a little bird just fell out of it. Merlin was there immediately, but the bird was stunned and I got there first. That was a little wren and I took it outside and managed to put it in a bush at the end of the garden high enough to be out of immediate danger. I stood a distance off and watched it gradually recover and fly off. How it ever came to be in the lounge in the first place I have no idea!

I wonder if anyone has ever managed to teach a cat the difference betweeen furry mice and feathery birds?