PDA

View Full Version : Are Persians playful?

PoshPuss
05-01-2008, 12:53 PM
HI:)

I have been trying to get Posh interested in playing games with her Christmas toys but she doesn't seem to want to bother. Maybe I'm expecting too much, after all she is new to our home, with us for 6 weeks now. Then she went into season and was wearing herself out calling; then the fright we had with the lilies :roll: so am I being a little too eager for playfulness? She's been indoors since we've had her, and sleeps a lot, grooms herself, eats ok, loves cuddles and strokes. Rolling balls and her scratchy pad doesn't amuse her, even catnip toys are scorned. Little Miss Haughty thinks such things are beneath her;)

Nette.

alexgirl73
05-01-2008, 02:13 PM
hee hee, welcome to the wonderful world of 'I'm a pedigree fluffball and I'm above such things' lol. My Teddie who is an exotic shorthair (persian without the long coat lol) only plays when SHE wants too. However, I have found one toy guaranteed to have her wiggling her litte furry butt! And it's a home made toy too. We got a length of stick (dowling rod) and taped some lengths of old denim (or any fabric really or string) to it and she goes wild for this. Chases it all over the floor, has us in fits!

yola
05-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Hmm - two are not very playful, the other one (now sadly no longer with us), would play with anything and everything.

The one thing that used to get Balie (one of the non-players) off his backside was scrunched up bits of paper!

Elaine
05-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Eva has only recently began to get playful, she's a little bit backwards that cat but although she is a moggie, she beleives she is a pedigree and a pedigree with attitude at that:lol: :lol: :lol:

PoshPuss
05-01-2008, 04:55 PM
Thanks. It looks like Mummy will have to become more skilled at making entertaining toys to keep Madame amused :-) the rag-on-a-stick is worth a try. I 'd better not entice her with feathers; hubby breds exhibition budgies, Lord knows what it could lead to... :O

Moli
05-01-2008, 04:59 PM
My two exotics.(Short haired Persians,) are very playfull...

Grete
06-01-2008, 10:35 AM
I think it's a case of finding the right toy - experiment with different things - different sizes of scrunched up paper, foil etc, laces, string - anything :)

I was told once that some persians don't react to catnip because their sense of smell has been so restricted cos of the shape of their face but I don't know how true that is.

You can get different varieties of 'nip in different strengths so might be worth experimenting with those too.

Some cats I think just don't know how to play - if they weren't played with when they were reared etc. I hope you'll find something she goes nuts for :)

Megsy
06-01-2008, 12:02 PM
Tito only really plays with feathers! He will only play if someone plays with him. I have wasted so much money buying toys.

Kay
29-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Persians tend too be very laid back in nature and not that clever. They do play but general not as frequently as other cats. I find mine love a crisp packet folded up and tied into a bow. Most of them will react to that except Tate who hasn't got a clue about anything as he is so thick as most of you know.

candyshandy
29-01-2008, 10:13 PM
My lot love ping pong balls on the laminate floor :roll: