PDA

View Full Version : we saved a beauty from abuse.

Tink
05-01-2008, 10:18 AM
it's one am saturday morning.

kevin (my OH)came home about half an hour ago. he asked where the dogs were and a red flag went up as that usually means an animal rescue is in progress...but this was very different.

i opened the door for him as requested and he carried an intimidatingly luminous, wild creature. the swan.
on this unforgivingly windy night, the beauty had ran into a building and badly injured her wing. the men at his work found this as an opportunity to ram it with forklifts and shoot at it with bee bee guns *my heart wrenches and breaks for her*.
we promptly set her loose in the "dog free" area of the yard..a place safely gated with a pond. no, i am not trying to keep her as a pet. we are trying to give this creature a shot at living free in the wild as she should. i do not know anything about swans, i don't know if she'll live or what her future is. but providing a peaceful night in sanctuary away from abuse and cruelty is good enough for me at this moment. we will figure out what to do tomorrow..for now she can be safe.
as to not upset her, i peeked from my bedroom window with a flashlight. she seemed to understand why she was here, looked at me, and climbed into the pond to float in peace along the water.
it's funny, just today we were discussing being a foster home for the northwest wildlife rehabilitation rescue...i think someone was listening.
i am so angry at those men but i am also so grateful she can be here, if only for the night. i'm glad she won't be hit to death and made a game out of. i'm glad no one will bother her anymore. i'm grateful i have someone in my life who would respond the same way i would to such actions.
will keep you updated.....
tink

Moofster
05-01-2008, 10:27 AM
:smt091 :smt091 WTH is matter with some people - that is disgusting behaviour and I hope it was caught on the companies security cameras and they get 'done' for it - its hideous and plain wicked :smt091 :smt091

RANT OVER

thank goodness the two of you were there to help her :smt023 she'll have a peaceful night and hopefully recover from the bump she had, poor mite :(

God bless you both and the swan :smt038 Keep us posted on her progress & futre !

Tink
05-01-2008, 10:49 AM
just talked to my OH on the phone (he brought her home on break and had to head straight back to work)...apparently they were thinking of trying out some paintball guns on her next *cries*

Elaine
05-01-2008, 10:58 AM
I'll never understand why people can be so heartless and cruel.
Good on you and Kevin for help the swan, I hope she recovers well from her ordeal.

alexgirl73
05-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Oh Lord!!! The extent of human depravity still shocks me sometimes!! Sending best wishes for the poor baby!

Tink
05-01-2008, 11:15 AM
it appears to be a juvenile...feathers are ash grey slowing turning into white....sigh.

Tink
05-01-2008, 11:42 AM
after some research, it is either a tundra or trumpeter swan...was probably on its way to british columbia...will try to take pics once the sun rises...2:40am...still swimming peacefully in our pond.

tilly
05-01-2008, 11:47 AM
So glad you were there to help the swan out. It amazes me how cruel some people can be. Sending healing vibes and I hope she/he get better soon.
Sally

Mags
05-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Well done to you and Kevin for for helping and more likely saving this swan..

How some people can get any pleasure out of hurting or maiming any animal or bird beats me :mad: ........ they really do deserve the same treatment back!!:mad:

angieh
05-01-2008, 04:56 PM
So well done to your Kevin for saving this wild creature from those fiends. He's a brave man stepping in and also being prepared to handle the swan. Hope she/he manages to mend. Bless you both - healing vibes to the swan!

babycakes
05-01-2008, 05:24 PM
What is it with some people that they feel they want to do it anyway??? It makes me sick to the stomach. Well done to you both for brining her home. Didn't I say the other day you are the proud owner of a zoo!!!! Why not be a santuary but you would have to consider financial costs, food, vet bills, housing, maybe drum up some local sponsorship or ask for reduced rates on these things??

Tink
05-01-2008, 07:18 PM
What is it with some people that they feel they want to do it anyway??? It makes me sick to the stomach. Well done to you both for brining her home. Didn't I say the other day you are the proud owner of a zoo!!!! Why not be a santuary but you would have to consider financial costs, food, vet bills, housing, maybe drum up some local sponsorship or ask for reduced rates on these things??

it's something i've thought a lot about actually...

random
05-01-2008, 10:37 PM
Poor thing, how evil to abuse him/her like that. :evil:

Well done to you and Kevin, I would love to meet someone with as much enthusiasm and understanding of animals as myself, you are lucky on that note so hang onto him! He sounds a good man.

Hope the swan continues to heal and feel better. x

Tink
05-01-2008, 11:45 PM
just an update, wildlife rehabilitation has just come and picked her up...she will be examined by the vet monday morning...if the joint is broken, they will euthanize which makes me sad but i suppose i understand...told us to give them a call and they'll tell us what happened. i know i did the right thing but i'm worried. such a young thing, would be a pity to put her down...let's cross our fingers.

Grete
06-01-2008, 09:25 AM
It makes me so mad that anyone can think to treat another living creature in that way, would love to see it done to them and see if they think it's fun now! Just stupid and so senseless.

I hope the poor girl's wing is OK and she can be released back into the wild. If not then at least her final hours will be safe and comfortable.

And Tink, both you and Kevin are rare, amazing people and I just love you :)

Tink
06-01-2008, 10:03 AM
And Tink, both you and Kevin are rare, amazing people and I just love you :)

thank you, grete. i guess i feel like it would just be a natural instinct of a human being to be kind to creatures so i don't feel rare or amazing...but i'm surprised everyday how many people are not like that...it just seems like it should be common sense...i guess in a perfect world it would be. hearing these things though helps me feel a bit better about the whole thing though..thank you.

alexgirl73
06-01-2008, 01:20 PM
Everything crossed for her here Tink!