PDA

View Full Version : Hackers/Hijackers

Elaine
04-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Some B*****D has hacked into and hijacked my emails and all info and contacts i have stored there.
This has all come about while i was online earlier, I received 4 emails from ebay about an item I am selling, I am not nor have I ever sold anything on ebay.
I was advised to shut down and change all my passwords but I kinda made a muck up of that bit and have lost my account.
We think the hacker got there before me and changed the password for me.
Pretty worried about it all.
I dont want to alarm any one but it may be a good idea, if I have e-mailed you, that you change your passwords too.
I dont have a great understanding of these things so just want to warn you.
I have opened a new email account for now, so if any one wants they can pm me and i'll give it to you.
This also means i dont have any of your email addresses now so you can all relax in the knowledge that you wont get any more crap jokes off me ever again:lol:

Erin
04-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Its scarey isnt it what some people can do! Hope you manage to get it all sorted soon mate

Kazz
04-01-2008, 07:07 PM
I have turned you to spam. Does that mean they can get access to your catsey account, and do you have any banking online??? if so act now!!!!

alexgirl73
04-01-2008, 07:14 PM
dont think I have receiver email from you, have I? PM's yes, but not actual email!

Jac
04-01-2008, 07:25 PM
That's really quite frightening Elaine. I hope you get it all sorted soon.

Elaine
04-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Thankfully I dont do any internet banking but I do worry coz i buy a fair bit on line.
Have had loads of forms to fill out in order to verify the account belongs to me, so will now just have to wait and see what happens.
Man!! am i having a good start to the year.:-D

babycakes
04-01-2008, 08:25 PM
How very odd to want to anyway??? Sorry you are a victim of this scam Elaine hope you don't have too much trouble X

Elaine
04-01-2008, 08:27 PM
How very odd to want to anyway???

Isnt it just:?

Its a pain in the rear end is what it really is coz I now have no contacts and have lost alot of info etc.

Moofster
04-01-2008, 09:22 PM
:cat14 jeese thats really scary - what do you have to do to stop these crazy people ??? I have firewall, spyware and antivirus and I make sure I do all the updates etc, but I am worried about people nicking my ID and /or details that have entered in various pages.

Any tips from members would be helpful - thanks :smt023

I am sorry you're having to deal with this crap. Hope you get sorted out soon and theres nothing else to come of it.

Elaine
04-01-2008, 10:13 PM
:cat14 jeese thats really scary - what do you have to do to stop these crazy people ??? I have firewall, spyware and antivirus and I make sure I do all the updates etc, but I am worried about people nicking my ID and /or details that have entered in various pages.

Any tips from members would be helpful - thanks :smt023

I am sorry you're having to deal with this crap. Hope you get sorted out soon and theres nothing else to come of it.

We have all those things too and Graham is maticulous in doing all the necessary updates etc so I am sorry I have no tips to share.
Its a real pain in the bum though coz i have lost all my info. Have filled out all the relevant forms etc so its just a case of waiting to hear back from the fraud people but thank god i dont do any internet banking.

Moofster
05-01-2008, 10:08 AM
We have all those things too and Graham is maticulous in doing all the necessary updates etc so I am sorry I have no tips to share.
Its a real pain in the bum though coz i have lost all my info. Have filled out all the relevant forms etc so its just a case of waiting to hear back from the fraud people but thank god i dont do any internet banking.

I know what you mean, what can you do to keep things safe ?? Its such a worry :(

Elaine
05-01-2008, 10:11 AM
I am still waiting for it to be resolved, they did say to allow 24 hours, so I am waiting:?

Moofster
05-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Oh heck ! it should be sorted by end of today then really ?
Has any of your accounts given you any advice about future security - surely they should help/advise ??

Elaine
05-01-2008, 10:53 AM
Not as yet:roll:

Grete
05-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Could the ebay things just have been spam? I know some people try and get ebay account / paypal account information by making you panic and click a link contained in the email - but it's not from ebay / paypal, it just looks like it is.

Worrying tho :(

Elaine
05-01-2008, 11:39 AM
No I dont think so coz ebay contacted me to say that some one was fraudulently using my account and advised me to go and change all my passwords.

EmmaG
05-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Could the ebay things just have been spam? I know some people try and get ebay account / paypal account information by making you panic and click a link contained in the email - but it's not from ebay / paypal, it just looks like it is.

Worrying tho :(

I was thinking the same Grete, I had had this before, the emails aren't actually from ebay (although they look at is they are) and they ask you to change your passwords and give you a link to do so which is a fake ebay site.

I also get very similar ones from banks when I have no account with them!!!

Good luck Elaine I hope you get this resolved soon.

Elaine
05-01-2008, 08:45 PM
Yay, Microsoft have just got back to me and given me all the instructions I need to reactivate my old email account.
May take some time, so I will let Graham do it for me later.:D

Erin
05-01-2008, 08:51 PM
thats great elaine and it didnt take them long either did it

charliebubs
05-01-2008, 08:56 PM
I was thinking the same Grete, I had had this before, the emails aren't actually from ebay (although they look at is they are) and they ask you to change your passwords and give you a link to do so which is a fake ebay site.

I also get very similar ones from banks when I have no account with them!!!

Good luck Elaine I hope you get this resolved soon.

Yeah, I've had those too and it's a pain in the neck. I always report them to eBay / Paypal.

Sorry you've had this pain, Elaine. What a nuisance. Hope it's sorted soon.
x

Grete
06-01-2008, 10:06 AM
No I dont think so coz ebay contacted me to say that some one was fraudulently using my account and advised me to go and change all my passwords.

That's what I mean Elaine - they include a link in the email saying 'click here to change your passwords etc' and you do, which gives them the information they need to access your accound.

They look like they are from ebay but they aren't. If you go to the ebay site there is a load of information about it.

Elaine
06-01-2008, 10:16 AM
I didnt get a link to change my passwords, infact I cannt get onto ebay at all now. I have closed my paypal account and deleted all my info from there before doing so. Will open a new one when I need to.

Elaine
06-01-2008, 04:10 PM
My old email addy has now been restored:lol:

Jac
06-01-2008, 04:14 PM
That's good Elaine and was quite quick too.

Elaine
06-01-2008, 04:16 PM
I know, I am well chuffed. The info I have is of use use to a hacker unless they are a cat fanatic but its mine.
Alot of computer buffs told me that I'd never hear from Microsoft about it but I did, so am sticking my tongue out to them:lol:

dandysmom
06-01-2008, 05:38 PM
So is the new MSN e-mail address not valid now? I will need to change back if so......

Elaine
06-01-2008, 06:04 PM
I can use either Eileen so if you want to just leave the new new one, thats fine.