PDA

View Full Version : Sheba Cat Food

Donna
04-01-2008, 04:58 PM
Whilst browsing the internet for this product (my cats love it and I might switch completely to it), I found a forum thread with one person saying Sheba does not have all the ingredients needed for it to be fed daily, and it was meant to be a "treat" meal.

Does anyone know if this is true? I cant find a list of ingredients for the products. I am mainly interested in the dome shaped tins rather than the flatter hexagon shaped ones.

Here is the link the the forum post..

link removed

babycakes
04-01-2008, 05:01 PM
I buy the occasional ones now as I did try Denis on them but he got fed up after a while and I do theink they are very rich. Not sure about the nutritional info though.

dandysmom
04-01-2008, 05:15 PM
That was an interesting link, especially the part about the lack of taurine. Sheba has always been just an occasional treat for mine; Fancy Feast is the main wet food. And it is indeed pricy!

Donna
04-01-2008, 05:17 PM
I cant find a UK ingredients list for Sheba which is really annoying - cant find out if the info on the thread is correct or not!

dandysmom
04-01-2008, 05:29 PM
I'll check it tomorrow when I'm at the market...may even buy a tin for Ms. Picky !

Donna
04-01-2008, 05:29 PM
Another link.. not sure what to think?

http://au.answers.yahoo.com/answers2/frontend.php/question?qid=20071211161812AAMDpLD

dandysmom
04-01-2008, 05:37 PM
That link comes thru to me as "occasional treat only, not a balanced diet" I'm sticking with Fancy Feast.

Emm
06-01-2008, 12:30 PM
I have always fed it as a treat for my cats thinking it may be too rich for all the time - but to make sure get in touch with Sheba - and just check - they should really put it on the tub to say whether it is a complete food or not - you could get round it by giving them biscuits that are a complete food as well as the Sheba?

Have you seen the Applaws cat food? This is what I'm thinking of changing my cats to - good range of flavours this is what they say about it

Applaws is really different, It contains only natural ingredients, It has 75% meat content! It is completely additive free. All our fish are caught in sea water using dolphin friendly methods. Our chickens are fed only organic feed and are entirely hormone free. The recipes have been created for cats to enjoy and to build health. We hope your cats love Applaws as much as ours do.

smudgley
06-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Here are the ingredients

Each multi-pack contains eight 2.8 oz. domes. Choose from the Seafood multipack (contains 4 domes of Ocean Seafood and 4 domes of Tuna Filet) or Poultry multipack (contains 4 domes of Chicken Breast and 4 domes of Chicken & Duck).
Tuna Filet Ingredients: Water, Tuna Filets, Tapioca Starch, Guar Gum. Ocean Seafood Ingredients:Water, Tuna, Squid, Mussels, Guar Gum.
Chicken Ingredients: Water, Chicken Breast, Tapioca Starch, Guar Gum.
Chicken & Duck Ingredients: Water, Chicken Breast, Duck Breast, Tapioca Starch, Guar Gum.

Wouldn't feed my cats on it.

Soupie
06-01-2008, 01:36 PM
None of the more natural foods like Applaws which only contains the key ingredient - meat or fish, rice and cooking water are designed to be a complete diet. They should be fed with a complete dry food to ensure all nutrients and vitamins etc.

I think people get confused and think they are "deficient" foods and should be avoided which is not correct - it's just they should be part of an all round diet plan not just the only food :)

I really rate Applaws and my cats do brilliantly on it with Royal Canin fed alongside and Bone Meal added occasionally to their food as recommended by a breeder friend. Because of the quality of the food - each cat only has a small tin a day and it actually works out cheaper for me with 3 than feeding such as felix or whiskers and with a cat with IBD and a growing kitten I have know exactly what they are eating and the lack of additives etc means Q's tum is "normal" ;)

Donna
06-01-2008, 02:12 PM
Hmm, I have emailed Sheba but no answer as of yet... I will use it for a treat maybe occasionally. They love it so much but didnt realise it wasnt good enough for everyday feeding.

smudgley
06-01-2008, 02:14 PM
If you look at the ingredients the main one is water.

Donna
06-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Yes, didnt realise that Smudgley - why is it so expensive then? Usually there is a % quoted for meat content... but not on their ingredient list.