PDA

View Full Version : Some trouble jumping

babycakes
02-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Didn't know where to put this but I am looking for some advice.
Sometimes Denis goes to jump up onto a work top etc and he doesn't make it. (not all the time but I am noticing that it is as regular as maybe twice a week). :? He has no trouble seeing (can chase and catch really small things) he has no bother jumping down from heights, no yelps nor is there any pain when I have felt along his body and legs. He is eating, playing, toileting etc so no other symptoms but I'm not sure if other peoples cats do this and its just misjudgement and I'm being fussy or what????:roll:

angieh
02-01-2008, 10:09 PM
How old is Denis, Babycakes? Can you say whether it is actually quite a big leap he's trying to make?

babycakes
02-01-2008, 10:11 PM
He's nearly 4. And I'm only talking kitchen work tops and his activity centre. He has made the fence outside which is just over 5ft. (and it's not all the time)

angieh
02-01-2008, 10:23 PM
I think I would take him to the vet. It may be something to do with his judgment of distance being a bit off and he will adjust after a while, but better safe with a young cat. It may also put your mind at ease.

babycakes
02-01-2008, 10:28 PM
What could it possible be though and what would they test for if he isn't doing it all the time

dandysmom
02-01-2008, 11:28 PM
I wish I had a suggestion, but the only time I've experienced this was when Misty started misjudging distances sometimes when she jumped. But she was an elderly cat at 18+ when she lost her sight, and Denis seems much too young for it to be blindness...maybe give your vet a ring and just ask....?

babycakes
02-01-2008, 11:45 PM
I wish I had a suggestion, but the only time I've experienced this was when Misty started misjudging distances sometimes when she jumped. But she was an elderly cat at 18+ when she lost her sight, and Denis seems much too young for it to be blindness...maybe give your vet a ring and just ask....?

I think I will. Thanks X

angieh
03-01-2008, 12:20 AM
I am not a medical person, but I might just suggest ears as you think his eyes are OK. IF cats are like humans in this respect, the cochlea in the inner ear affects balance. I know this because at one time I had a viral infection in my inner ear and my balance was affected. Only a thought, mind and I would agree with Dandysmom and I am glad you have decided to pop along to the vet to check it out.

Hope all goes well - do let us know how Denis goes on. **HUGS to you both **

Grete
03-01-2008, 07:06 AM
I think it's always best to get ears / eyes checked out but I tend to put mistakes in jumping down to being a silly puss.

All the cats I have had make errors from time to time, not quite making a jump or over jumping, they wander off with a 'meant to do that' attitude ;)

Realistically I think they process so much information leading up to a jump that any hesitation or distraction when they take off can lead to a mis-jump. That and their perception of distances is different to ours but just like us, they can make mistakes :)

babycakes
03-01-2008, 02:51 PM
Didn't think about ears and balance thanks Angie. Also good interresting information Grete. He does always look like he has a teenager 'whatever' face on afterwards so I don't make a fuss incase I embarress him

Grete
04-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Didn't think about ears and balance thanks Angie. Also good interresting information Grete. He does always look like he has a teenager 'whatever' face on afterwards so I don't make a fuss incase I embarress him

I'm such a cruel kitty mummy, I laugh :-D :-D Mainly cos of the attitude afterwards and I know they aren't hurt ;)