PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting so afraid for Merlin

Pages : [1] 2

angieh
02-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Sorry - I've been bottling this one up until after the festivities are over.

Dear old Merlin - I did wonder before Christmas whether he'd make it through. It's just old age, I think. He doesn't seem to be in pain, although his hind legs are obviously a bit stiff. He totters about a bit unsteadily and hugs the heater. I am still waiting for the Snugglesafe to be delivered - hope it comes soon. He is eating reasonably well - in fact cleaning his plate, so very well really. He drinks (I still don't think unreasonably much) and I am putting some warm boiled water in his food. He takes his Metacam every day and also some lactulose (although I am giving these meds with separate feeds). He has poo'd today - does not do so daily. He is bright eyed and still seems interested in what is going on outside the window. Sleeps a lot and curls up in a normal cat position.

It's just that he has lost a lot of weight - when I pick him up to cuddle him, he feels like a bag of bones. His coat is reasonably good and on occasion still feels lovely and silky. Basically, it's his frailty that I find upsetting and really I am asking your experienced reassurance that hanging on is the best thing to do. I would have no hesitation if I thought he was in any pain or distress - but I really don't think he is.

I will do what's right for Merlin but after 21 years of loving him and being loved back, it's such a hard thing to do.

Jac
02-01-2008, 05:29 PM
I dont think there are many of us here that have not been in the same position as you at one time or another. ((((((((()))))))) Hugs.

You will know when his time has come. Take your Vets advise. Keep an eye on him. As you say you dont think he's in any pain. He will let you know when he's had enough.

Elaine
02-01-2008, 05:30 PM
After 21 years, nobody knows him better than you do. You and Merlin are soul mates.
If you are worried about his weight loss maybe a wee visit to the vet will help you have a little better understanding of what may be going on.
Is it actually weight or muscle tone he is losing? Is he still fairly active? As active as any normal 21 yr old cat would be, is what i mean. At his age it is not uncommon for his bowels not to move daily. A vet told me when Winston was alive not to worry unless he hasnt pooped for more than 3 days.
I am not a vet but he does sound like he is doing well for his age.;)

Moofster
02-01-2008, 05:55 PM
oh bless you and sweet Merlin, he sounds a peach :smt049

I can only endorse what has been said above. It sounds like he has a great quality of life for his age, he is loved and cared for and gets all he needs. I suppose his frailty is only to be expected at his age and if he can still get about to do what he needs to do without any pain or stress then things sound good to me.

I understand your concerns I have two 14 yr olds, which I know are younger than Merlin, but we worry about them.

So heres a few ((((hugs)))) for you and some chin tickles for Merlin. We are all here for you both !!!

babycakes
02-01-2008, 06:47 PM
I agree with the above posts that noone knows him better than you and you will know when the time is right.
If he was in pain I think you wouldn't be hesitating but a trip to the vets may put your mind at ease.
Embrace your time together and as long as you feel you have done all that you can to make him comfortable than that's alll that matters. Big hugs to you both X

sarah5
02-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Awww you poor thing, I remember exactly how that feels and I send both you and the lovely Merlin lots of (((HUGS))). My dear Dutchess found my parents the same year I was born and she didn't pass until I was 24 :O we just couldn't believe she lived to such a ripe old age. So I truly understand what you are going through.

After all these years, I echo what the others have said, you know Merlin like the back of your hand, you will know when he is in pain and you will know when the time comes. But, again as the others have mentioned, if you feel a trip to the vets might put your mind at rest then it might be well worth it, even just to ensure that he is in no pain.

Lots of cuddles for the gorgeous Merlin xx

Kazz
02-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Hiya

So sorry o read your post it is a heartbreaker isn't it old age, but yet not really because you have had 21 years with your gorgeous Merlin so can't be sorry for that. :)

My Oscar was the same and I "fussed" worried for a few months then settled down, and decided I would just know when the thought entered my head he was just "getting through the day" no more no less. Then that would be the time and it was his frailty that finaly told e the time was right. Same with Cleo nothing more than just being worn out neither were ill ie throwing up) neither were in pain, or discomfort. Neither were not aware of their surrondings, nor not eating or drinking, neither was to anyone other than me "anything" but older cats. But to me I knew the time had come and I have to say in both of their cases I am pleased I had them PTS when I did, as their time was just coming to the edge where I would not have had a choice and they could had moved swiflty toward pain/discomfort/loss of being okay with their world. Age allows that to happen swiftly, my cats knew nothing but kindness and "security" they trusted in their own way me to do what was best for them and I choose to have them PTS - yes i broke my heart on one level but knowing in my heart I had made the right descision helped a lot.

It is easy in one respect to make a descison when your cat is ill, in pain etc but not so easy in fact almost impossible when the main factor is old age.

I could be wrong however in your post it sounds as if you are asking for someone to "you're right the time has come to let him go" well that no one can do but I WILL say to you.
From the description, and heartbreak I hear in your post
then I can only say Yes I would (and have) make the descision to have him PTS.

So sorry if I am miles off track here, and thats not what you want to hear but there is no cure for old age. But would you want one, for 21 years Merlin has been part of your life adn you his - you wouldn't want to loose that and you never wil but in the process you have both got older and sadly cats do not live out length of span. But it does mean you can share you heart with more cats who can benefit from your love.

Again I do not wish to offend so please ignore me if I am wrong.

Karen

angieh
02-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Do put your mind at rest Karen - you are quite right. Thanks for your words - not exactly comforting but you obviously know exactly what I'm feeling. Thanks so much.

Angie

EmmaG
02-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Angie, whatever you decide you know you will be making that decision out of love.

Kazz once told me that one of the most precious gifts you can give a pet is to let them go with dignity and rather a day too early rather than a day too late.

I think you will know when the time is right.

Take care, it is a very hard decision you will have to make.

dandysmom
02-01-2008, 10:33 PM
Angie, whatever you decide you know you will be making that decision out of love.

Kazz once told me that one of the most precious gifts you can give a pet is to let them go with dignity and rather a day too early rather than a day too late.

I think you will know when the time is right.

Take care, it is a very hard decision you will have to make.

That is a hard truth, but truth nonetheless. Only you will know when that time is, Angie; thinking of you, (((hugs))) and a scritch to Merlin.....

Fran
02-01-2008, 10:36 PM
Having been in this position reasonably recently myself, I can say with confidence that Merlin WILL let you know when the time has come. You will know when the time is right. {{{Hugs}}} to you. I really do know how you feel right now x

borderdawn
02-01-2008, 11:23 PM
Just one thing to say:
Better a day too early, than a moment too late...

Tinker
02-01-2008, 11:30 PM
(hugs) you will know when the time is right.

Have you tried any cortaflex for his back legs? We have got Tinker on cortaflex now, she was getting very stiff on her back legs and quite unsteady but the cortaflex has made her move a bit more easily.

Tinker is much lighter than she used to be, she has lost much of the muscle around her back and shoulders and looks so much smaller, but she still has a good covering on her belly. The vet says that this is nothing to worry about and normal in a cat who has become less acive through age.

angieh
03-01-2008, 12:28 AM
Thanks Tinker - I will ask my vet about Cortaflex. Your Tinker's condition sounds much the same as Merlin's.

Thanks to everyone for their kind comments - I do appreciate your thoughts.

Grete
03-01-2008, 07:00 AM
I can only echo what everyone else has said really, you know him the best and you will know when it's time, you will see it in Merlin that he's ready to go.

However - quality of life is the key - if he is still eating, drinking, sleeping, seems alert of his surroundings and seeks fuss then I don't think that time is yet.

It can be hard to tell if a kitty is in a lot of pain but I've always followed the rule of thumb that if they are in pain, one of the quality of life elements goes.

I really feel for you, I was dreading making this decision for Squeak and bless her, she took it out of my hands by going in to her final sleep when she was ready.

*hugs*

dandysmom
03-01-2008, 04:53 PM
I can only echo what everyone else has said really, you know him the best and you will know when it's time, you will see it in Merlin that he's ready to go.

However - quality of life is the key - if he is still eating, drinking, sleeping, seems alert of his surroundings and seeks fuss then I don't think that time is yet.

It can be hard to tell if a kitty is in a lot of pain but I've always followed the rule of thumb that if they are in pain, one of the quality of life elements goes.

I really feel for you, I was dreading making this decision for Squeak and bless her, she took it out of my hands by going in to her final sleep when she was ready.

*hugs*

Patches did the same for me, Grete. She was always utterly terrified of the vet, so it was a blessing in a way...but a sad shock . I have worried that maybe I left it too long...:(

angieh
03-01-2008, 06:21 PM

*hugs*

Its so reassuring to know that there are kind people out there who have had the same experience. I raise my glass to you and send hugs to all of those cats we have held so dear.

The Snugglesafe still hasn't come, so I have made Merlin a hot water bottle today as it has been bitterly cold here. It has a fleecy cover and I have double wrapped it in a towel too. He is asleep on it in front of the kickheater in the kitchen. He has wandered about, shown interest in what's going on (especially when I was making him new HWB), he has eaten and drunk some water today. He also licked out my porridge bowl this morning. He has silently miaowed at me, head butted my hand to be petted and so, as you say above Grete I know that the time is not yet. It's not far off, but not just yet.........

Thanks so much everyone. XXXX

babycakes
03-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Meriln is such a gorgeous boy X I think he is gently telling you today that he isn't ready to go anywhere yet XXX

Kazz
03-01-2008, 09:11 PM
You will know when the time is. You will not have to ask you will just know in your heart.

Kim
03-01-2008, 09:37 PM
You will know when the time is. You will not have to ask you will just know in your heart.

agree with you Kazz.

However, from your description today, it does sound as if he is still enjoying the simple pleasures in life, so not quite ready yet.

cybeeb
04-01-2008, 02:59 AM
you are never prepared to lose a loved one no matter how much you try.
Our vet told us that as long as our pets were eating, drinking and using the litterbox and responding to us that it was good to keep them with us.
When they are not responsive and obviously miserable then it is time.
We lost a cat in November 2006 to diabetes. We debated a week or so about the right thing to do. Finally Imp looked at us and his expression said "ive had enough".
When Merlin has had enough he will tell you.
God bless!

angieh
05-01-2008, 05:56 PM
I had to take Merlin to the vet again today. He had been straining to urinate and was obviously in pain. Our usual practice is not open at the weekends, so we had to take him to their other branch which is about 8 miles away. Luckily, the Snugglesafe arrived yesterday, so he was cosy in the cat carrier. He has had 3 injections, a painkiller, an anti inflammatory and an anti biotic. It's his usual cystitis-like problem I think. He stopped eating Thursday night (after having several weeks of good eating) and of course, with being so frail any missed meal makes me anxious. Also, if he's not eating, he's not having his Metacam or lactulose. He's home now - just checked on him and he's not asleep. We'll just have to wait and see what tomorrow brings.

I have this feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach.

Elaine
05-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Aww Angie, I feel for hun, I really do. My old boy had CRF, which I am sure you probably know. Just before his 21st he began to have so many other problems, urinary tract problems, high blood pressure and ofcourse i too used to panick if he skipped a meal.
All I can say is be strong for him Angie, he may need you to be.
Big big hugs to both of you xxxx

alexgirl73
05-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Sending ((hugs)) to you Angie! Be strong hunni xx

dandysmom
05-01-2008, 09:12 PM
(((hugs))) here too, Angie; thinking of you ..

Phil
05-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Just read over this thread. I know from our cat's n dog's it's so difficult but you will know what's best.

Big hugs

Mags
06-01-2008, 03:27 AM
Thinking of you Angie, hugs to you and Merlin....

miki
06-01-2008, 05:47 PM
Oh...I am so sorry, hope that he will be OK.
He is 21 and that is a very good years for a kitty, I am sure it will be hard to let go, but sometimes to love means to let go :( You will know it when there is no other option...
Still hoping that he will be OK, tho...

catsmum
06-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Big, big hugs to you Angie and Merlin. We have been in this situation twice and it is a horrible situation to be in and reading the post and everyone else's comments made my eyes well up. Our pets are like our family and we will always do what is right by them. You seem to have a magical bond with merlin and I feel merlin will let you know when enough is enough. Cats are just able to give you that look. You will make the decision at the right time and I know it is heart breaking to say goodbye but you have all those wonderful memories and when Merlin lets you know when enough is enough you will be doing him a great thing. You have done right by him so far and I really do feel for you so much. It's a horrible situation to be in and I send you both lots of love and hugs.
Karen

cybeeb
08-01-2008, 04:28 AM
Lots of love and prayers to you and Merlin.

babycakes
08-01-2008, 01:08 PM
Just read over this, so sorry I haven't replied since you went to the vets. I hope Merlin is doing ok in the circumstances. I hope he is comfortable. And I really am sending you lots of hugs((((())))) X give him a cugentle cuddles from me too X

PoshPuss
08-01-2008, 03:11 PM
Wishing you and Merlin comfort and peace, Angie. This is such a hard time for you all and your family. Bless you.
Nette x

angieh
09-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Just caught up on all the lovely warming comments from you guys and gals. Thanks so much I really appreciate all your thoughts.

Thought you would like a follow up to Saturday's post. It was amazing - much later that evening just before we were going to get ready for bed, Merlin "came round" from his meds and was walking about looking like a young cat - no stiffness in his hind legs - upright and alert looking for anything as if he was just willing something to move so he could pounce on it! I know it was just the drugs he had been given but it was lovely to watch and made me realise that he had once been a much more active cat.

Of course now he has gone back to his "old self" and is comfortable once again - sleeping a lot, alert when awake, eating and drinking well and toileting OK too. He still jumps up on our bed in the morning to remind us to get up and is coming to join us again when the nights are particularly cold. I'm making sure he has his Snugglesafe at night so he can cuddle up to that if he needs to.

So, again I am saying the time is not yet. It's an awful waiting game I feel we are playing but when he's bounced back from "an episode" how can I ask the vet to pts? I did speak to the vet (not our usual branch though) and she made sympathetic noises - but I know that if he's not distressed or in pain, I couldn't possibly allow it to be done.

Please just keep sending "comfort vibes" to us both! Thanks so much.

Angie XXXX

Mags
09-01-2008, 02:27 PM
Angie that's wonderful news that the meds are helping Merlin........ his Snugglesafe will be helping a lot too.

Keeping fingers crossed here that the meds will help to keep him free of pain and help him through the winter...;) Gentle cuddles to the great Merlin..:D

charliebubs
09-01-2008, 02:32 PM
Just catching up with this thread, Angie.

Sending lots of love and hugs to you and Merlin. I'm so pleased that he's comfortable again and only you will know when is the right time.

Give him lots of cuddles from us. :)

dandysmom
09-01-2008, 05:07 PM
Comfort vibes coming by the busload, Angie......

miki
09-01-2008, 08:12 PM
Great news :)

babycakes
09-01-2008, 11:52 PM
Bucket loads of comforting vibes coming your way XXX

Grete
10-01-2008, 07:30 AM
Glad he is back to his usual self now :) *hugs* to you and *snuggles* to Merlin! :)

catsmum
10-01-2008, 09:06 AM
hugs from me to you and lots of fusses to Merlin :D

cybeeb
15-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Just wondering how you and Merlin are doing?
lots of love and prayers!

angieh
16-01-2008, 12:01 AM
Thanks for asking Cybeeb. Merlin and I are doing OK at the moment. Merlin is very involved in working on his spells for the wedding of La Diva and Jerry and it's so good for him, keeping his mind off his own health just now. He has been eating well and cuddling us at night for warmth and ignoring his nice new warm Snugglesafe!

babycakes
16-01-2008, 12:03 AM
Thanks for asking Cybeeb. Merlin and I are doing OK at the moment. Merlin is very involved in working on his spells for the wedding of La Diva and Jerry and it's so good for him, keeping his mind off his own health just now. He has been eating well and cuddling us at night for warmth and ignoring his nice new warm Snugglesafe!

Typical isn't it!!!! glad is doing ok though X

cybeeb
17-01-2008, 08:14 PM
will hope to keep hearing only good things for many many years!

catsmum
17-01-2008, 09:29 PM
glad to hear things are o.k at the moment, all the positive vibes must be working ((((((((((hugs)))))))))

angieh
11-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Sorry to have to report Merlin is poorly again. He took the top off his cyst on Saturday night and there was a bit of blood, so I thought I'd better keep an eye on it in case he got an infection - but that's not it. At 3.00am this morning, he woke me up vomiting so I got up to him and stayed up with him until I had to go back to bed because I was so cold! He was straining to go to the loo and every time he strained, he vomited. Nothing much was coming out either end so took him to the vet today.

Different vet who did examine him thoroughly and said he wasn't constipated and didn't have a full bladder. On the last two times he has had this sort of episode, he has been given anti-inflamatory injection and anti-bios and last time an opiate for the pain. This time he has just got the anti-bio and some Synulox tabs from tomorrow and something called Pro-Kolin (which is going to be impossible for me to give him I think, although obviously I'll try). He's not eating so not having his Metacam. He is exhausted and I am really worried about him. He picked up so quickly last time but I am really afraid for him now.

There is of course the possibility of CRF. Is there anything else anybody can suggest?

yola
11-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Oh Angie, I'm so sorry to be reading this :( I hope he does pick up . . . it must be a major worry for you. Hugs to you both.

Fran
11-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Oh Angie :( On a positive note, Prokolin, Promax, those sort of preps are very good in my expereince for settling tummy problems. I wouldn't have advocated Synulox as the drug of choice in this situation but I'm sure your vet has his reasons for prescribing it. I do hope that he picks up quickly as I can sense how very worried you are {{{Hugs}}} do let us know how he goes on x

Elaine
11-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Oh Angie, I am so very sorry Merlin is unwell again. Has the vet ran test to check his urea and creatinine?
I am sending you both many many big hugs xxx

babycakes
11-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Sorry to be reading this Angie, I do hope he is feeling better soon, please keep us informed and gentle hugs to Merlin and big hugs to you XXX

dandysmom
11-02-2008, 09:34 PM
Angie, so sorry to hear Merlin is poorly again. I have no ideas, sending lots of healing vibes...:bighug:

angieh
11-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Oh Angie, I am so very sorry Merlin is unwell again. Has the vet ran test to check his urea and creatinine?
I am sending you both many many big hugs xxx

Next step I think Elaine, along with blood tests etc if he does not pick up.

Thanks for your kind comments everyone. It's so helpful knowing there are cat-focused people out there who understand and care.

Mags
11-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Angie, I'm so very sorry Merlin is unwell, I do hope he'll start to improve very soon..

Lots of healing vibes on their way to Merlin ..... and ((((hugs)))) to you.....

alexgirl73
11-02-2008, 10:29 PM
lots of love and healing vibes from me too xx

Moli
11-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Buckets of healing vibes for Merlin, hope he picks up soon...Hugs..xx

Grete
12-02-2008, 08:31 AM
Poor Merlin :( healing *hugs* to you both, I hope he picks up soon.

dinahsmum
12-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Sorry to hear this Angie

PoshPuss
12-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Lots of get well wishes to Merlin. You and yours are in my thoughts too, Angie.x

catsmum
12-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Huge hugs to you and lots of gentle fusses to merlin. So sorry to hear he isn't well again - sending lots of positive healing vibes
x

angieh
12-02-2008, 02:59 PM
The good news is that late last night I managed to get Merlin to eat a little tinned tuna in spring water and this morning he has eaten some raw beef mince (prev. frozen).

I also managed to give him a bit of a wash yesterday late afternoon. This was actually something we did for pleasure when he was a kitten as I'm sure he left his mum too early. I used to get an old flannel and moisten it in warm water and pretend I was a mummy cat's tongue with it - used to get lots of purrrrrs. Anyway did this again for him, starting with his face and working all along his body and then his tail and whilst he seemed quite happy for me to do this, I then quickly managed to give his anus a bit of a wipe too! Hopefully that made him a bit more comfy! Things you do for your darling pet!

Anti-bio pill in fine this morning. I always think it's a sure way of telling he's not well if he doesn't play up about taking his medicine. The Pro-Kolin is a bit more tricky - I did manage to rub some around his mouth yesterday and will try again later today (he's fast asleep at the moment) but he is meant to have this X3 per day so must try harder.

Thanks again for all your kind wishes - please keep sending the healing vibes!

yola
12-02-2008, 03:07 PM
Angie - you are an angel for what you do for Merlin. I will be hoping and praying that his strength remains, that he takes his pills and that her GETS BETTER!!! :D

babycakes
12-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Oh Merlin probably misses his mummy (you) washing him and it really must be a lovely bonding feeling between you and him when you do that for him. Sounds like you are doing so well with him. Well done X

Kazz
12-02-2008, 11:17 PM
The good news is that late last night I managed to get Merlin to eat a little tinned tuna in spring water and this morning he has eaten some raw beef mince (prev. frozen).

I also managed to give him a bit of a wash yesterday late afternoon. This was actually something we did for pleasure when he was a kitten as I'm sure he left his mum too early. I used to get an old flannel and moisten it in warm water and pretend I was a mummy cat's tongue with it - used to get lots of purrrrrs. Anyway did this again for him, starting with his face and working all along his body and then his tail and whilst he seemed quite happy for me to do this, I then quickly managed to give his anus a bit of a wipe too! Hopefully that made him a bit more comfy! Things you do for your darling pet!

Anti-bio pill in fine this morning. I always think it's a sure way of telling he's not well if he doesn't play up about taking his medicine. The Pro-Kolin is a bit more tricky - I did manage to rub some around his mouth yesterday and will try again later today (he's fast asleep at the moment) but he is meant to have this X3 per day so must try harder.

Thanks again for all your kind wishes - please keep sending the healing vibes!

So sorry Merlin is not to well again, but you sparked a memory there for me about the flannel and wiping down I used to do this for Oz when he was younger a half grown kitten - he used to go under cars a lot and to get the oil off I used to wipe him down, but it started a cleaning frenzy by Cleo who would pin him down like a mother cat to a kitten poor old Oz complained like a pre-teenage boy taking a bath.

I hope Merlin feels a lot better soon TLC works wonders and he is getting that more than 3x a day..... take care. Karen

cybeeb
13-02-2008, 04:49 AM
Lots of love and prayers to you and Merlin. Will be thinking about you and hoping for the best.
My advice is going to be, if you are not happy with the vet you saw, just call again and ask for the one you do like.
We have two vets in the practice where we go and we request them each for different circumstances.
You are the one paying the bill, be happy about your choice of vet.
Lots and lots of love to your baby!

angieh
13-02-2008, 01:08 PM
I've put a little note on the daily thread but thought you'd like an update....

Merlin is still managing to eat. He had more tuna last night and some mince this morning. OH said that he fought against having his anti-bio and spat it out 4 times and scratched OH - I heard the curses from the bedroom! But he managed to disguise a now very soggy pill in the mince and Merlin ate it.

Not so much luck with the Pro-Kolin. He does not like it a bit and I am still hesitating to try and get the big plastic dispenser in his mouth. I tried mixing it with his next helping of mince, with the result that both were left. I'd rather he ate so may have to try to spread it around his mouth again and hope he licks even a little of it off.

He's fast asleep on the back of the sofa in the sun now - I need to give him a little wash later and I'll judge whether to try anything then. He's just so thin now that I don't want to do anything roughly that may hurt him. His eyes are still so bright and he came for cuddles and warmth onto the bed again this morning. When he moves about, he does not seem to be in pain. The big decision would be so much easier if I though he was in any pain.

I don't have any complaints against the vet I saw - she was pleasant and thorough in her examination and amazed to see such an elderly cat. She wasn't prepared to throw drugs at him and was obviously thinking that if he did not show improvement, I'd take him back in and she'd progress to other avenues of investigation - ie. blood/urine tests. Although he is not a well puss, he is no longer vomiting or straining, he is eating and drinking and urinating (although he hasn't defaecated yet - but she said he wasn't constipated), so I am going to give it a bit longer before going back. Have to be a bit careful I know and we have to travel to another branch of the practice at weekends, as ours in closed.

All healing thoughts and prayers are welcome. Merlin does thank you all, or would do if he could type!

PoshPuss
13-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Merlin has a very dedicated and loving mum. Loved the flannel story, he must have thought he was in kitty heaven. I will certainly pray for his comfort and strength, but you are doing such a wonderful job, I think our prayers are being answered.:cat21

dandysmom
13-02-2008, 05:21 PM
Prayers still heading your way, Angie .......

babycakes
13-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Lots of healing vibes for Merlin XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Elaine
13-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Oh my dear sweet Merlin, please give him loads of cuddles for me please.
I am just wondering, since he wont take the Pro-Kolin(Eva hated that too) and since it is a pro biotoc, do you think he may take a little natural yoghurt? Winston was quite partial to a little natural yoghurt, just a wee teaspoon of it mind, Bernie also likes this on occasion.
I also wondered if you have considered giving him some slippery elm bark too, that may help keep his tummy settled.
You are such a good mummy to him, bless you both xxx

angieh
14-02-2008, 12:49 AM
Oh my dear sweet Merlin, please give him loads of cuddles for me please.
I am just wondering, since he wont take the Pro-Kolin(Eva hated that too) and since it is a pro biotoc, do you think he may take a little natural yoghurt? Winston was quite partial to a little natural yoghurt, just a wee teaspoon of it mind, Bernie also likes this on occasion.
I also wondered if you have considered giving him some slippery elm bark too, that may help keep his tummy settled.
You are such a good mummy to him, bless you both xxx

Thanks for this Elaine - I did wonder about natural yog. Merlin loves yoghurt but would it have to be the probiotic sort, live yoghurt? I'd be grateful if you could advise about what sort - OK not fruity sort!

I read about slippery elm on the wizz site but don't know how he would take to that - I believe it is fairly disgusting. I did actually get him to take the Pro-Kolin X2 today, by slipping a little into the side of his mouth with my finger and then giving him some food so that he took it down together. That did seem to work and he didn't throw it back up. After this morning's problem OH had with the anti-bio, I gave him his pill tonight and he took it like a lambkin - I have never had such an easy time of it! I have to report he has eaten a whole poached chicken breast today in two meals - most of which I hand fed him. He certainly seems to be picking up a bit, the food must be helping. I have another chicken breast in the fridge and I also bought some more mince that I have portioned up and put in the freezer. I got the cheaper variety after reading your article about Winston again and the advice you had from your vet.

I am also really glad I bought the Snugglesafe when I did. It has it's own fleece cover and I also wrap it in a small towel - he does need to keep warm.

Thanks again for comments - any other ideas gratefully received.

Grete
14-02-2008, 07:23 AM
no ideas here I'm afraid, just wanted to say I'm thinking of you and Merlin and sending healing vibes and *hugs*.

Hope he continues to improve.

Elaine
14-02-2008, 09:17 PM
I wondered if this might help Merlin.
http://www.specific-diets.com/Default.aspx?ID=7524

angieh
14-02-2008, 09:44 PM
That's interesting - thanks Elaine, but yet another food that needs to be purchased via the vet. I think another member was questioning their 50% mark up on another thread.

Elaine
14-02-2008, 10:28 PM
No harm contacting them Angie and finding out.;)

angieh
15-02-2008, 03:18 PM
No indeed not, Elaine.

Have you any knowledge of this particular food?
http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/dietetic_food.htm

It was a page in a link Mags gave.

I have contacted my local animal feed store about a mile away from where I live and they say they don't have it in stock but can get it for me. If I let them know on Monday, they will have it in by Wednesday.

I don't know whether I am imagining that Merlin is telling me he is getting fed up with it all. I was awake in the wee small hours last night seriously thinking about phoning the vet today and making apt for Monday to have him pts.

I discussed it with OH a while ago and he said no it's too early, he's all right for the moment. (I'd just hand fed Merlin some chicken). He won't eat any of the various types of cat food I have in the cupboard, just have to alternate between poached chicken and mince at the moment. He did a HUGE poo this morning and it was not nearly as rock hard as it has recently been, so that must have been so much easier for him.

He's just looking at me so sadly and I don't know if I am just being a silly old woman.

alexgirl73
15-02-2008, 03:22 PM
oh Angie:hug: I've not been in this situation as yet, and live i dread of it, but I think only you and Merlin will know when the time is right. Go with your feelings and I wish you both well.

dandysmom
15-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Thinking of you, Angie....:hug:

Elaine
15-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Oh Angie, such a very difficult time for all of you. You know Merlin better than any one, be strong for him what ever the out come xxx

Mags
15-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Thinking of you Angie ...... :hug:

Kazz
15-02-2008, 07:57 PM
I will say no more than my thouhts are with you all. If you want to "think things out aloud" I am more than happy or you to PM me but I will not intrude.

Take care Karen

Karen

angieh
16-02-2008, 12:12 PM
What a difference a day makes! After yesterday's whinging Merlin has proved me wrong again. Bright as a button this morning. Leaping onto the bed, wanting his breakfast and EATING HIS BREAKFAST. Fur silky, bright eyes, vocal. OK, well now he's asleep but he made an effort. Last day of his antibiotics, so wait and see I guess, but thought you all deserved to share in brighter spirits this morning.

Thanks to everyone for your kind support - you gals are great! Merlin sends purrs too. :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

dinahsmum
16-02-2008, 12:19 PM
Oh Angie - what a rollercoaster.
Long may this bright patch continue

alexgirl73
16-02-2008, 12:22 PM
A rollercoaster indeed DM! Hoping Merlin stays happy and bright x

Mags
16-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Good news Angie..:D

Elaine
16-02-2008, 01:14 PM
I am happy to hear that Merlin has perked up again. Sometimes its so difficult and worrying, I remember only too well the feelings of despair when Winston wasnt well and the elation of the following days when he sprang back into action.
I am thi8nking of you both and hoping Merlin remains well for some time to come. xxx

babycakes
16-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Good boy Merlin XXXX Big cuddles to you all XXXX

dandysmom
16-02-2008, 05:24 PM
Happy news! May it continue..........

Grete
17-02-2008, 08:28 AM
Fantastic news! Hope dear Merlin stays well for a good while now :)

Fran
17-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Oh, I am so pleased to be reading this news :D Hope he continues pick up x

Kay
18-02-2008, 11:14 PM
That is excellent news about Merlin. Long may it continue.

Moli
18-02-2008, 11:53 PM
So pleased to hear Merlin has perked up..

angieh
20-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Just a little update for Merlin's kind friends ......

Merlin is doing OK. He absolutely refuses to eat any kind of cat food now and so I am alternating between poached chicken, white fish and mince. I did try adding some cooked rice with the fish and also with the chicken, but he refused that too. Still, I am glad he is eating something, even though it's only a small amount at a time. He does look so thin, poor boy - but he's bright enough and moves around when not asleep - jumps up on our bed for morning cuddles or sleeps with us at night if it's cold.

I think he could do with some more excitement. Don't suppose another wedding is in the offing anywhere? Spring weddings are always most fashionable! :D

dandysmom
20-02-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm glad h's eating; may not be an ideal diet but getting him to eat is the important thing! I hope he keeps it up, bless him! Give him a gentle cuddle from his friend across the Pond!

Kay
20-02-2008, 07:53 PM
I am glad Merlin is eating albeit not ideal. There is an additive you can buy to put on the food that helps with missing nutrients. My friend has just started using it. I will find out what it is called and where she got it for you.

babycakes
20-02-2008, 08:32 PM
I'm happy to hear that Merlin is eating again X Who can we marry off to cheer him up???????

Kazz
20-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Have you tried spaghetti bolognaise....honestly Oscar adores it.

Glad he feels better.

angieh
20-02-2008, 09:19 PM
I am glad Merlin is eating albeit not ideal. There is an additive you can buy to put on the food that helps with missing nutrients. My friend has just started using it. I will find out what it is called and where she got it for you.

That's kind of you Kay - I'd like to know what I can put on his food to make it better all round. I do keep trying with "ordinary" cat food and, as I said, I tried to add some carbs in the form of rice but no go and obviously it's more important that he eats something even if it isn't ideal.

angieh
20-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Have you tried spaghetti bolognaise....honestly Oscar adores it.

Glad he feels better.

Yes Merlin loves it too, but the spag bol I made has onions in it and I understand onions are not good for cats. Actually Merlin loves anything with garlic in it!

Elaine
20-02-2008, 09:26 PM
I've never had any success in geting a cat to eat boiled rice.
Maybe he'd like the occasional egg, a good source of B-vits and iron but too much will bung him up ofcourse. If you do feed eggs, please always make sure the egg white is cooked as it does contain an enzyme when raw that will hamper the obsorptionj of the goodness contained in the egg. When cooked the enzyme is destroyed.
Winston used to enjoy the occasional scrambled egg and as a special treat add a little cooked ham;)
He also loved things like sardines and liquidised chicken broth, no onions.

Elaine
20-02-2008, 09:36 PM
http://www.felinecrf.org/persuading_cat_to_eat.htm

Angie thought I'd post this link as it has many good hints and tips to help with cats that are not eating too well. I hope it helps;)