PDA

View Full Version : Jane, some hamster help please

Elaine
02-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Indy will have to go to the vets tomorrow, she has a big lunp in her chest area, I am worried that it might be a tumour, she is around a year and a half old now. Her eyes are still bright, she is still active and eating well.
If it is a tumour, the hamsterlopedia says most are benign and can be removed surgically. Now i dont want to sound heartless here coz i do love her to bits but is it really worth putting such a small creature through surgery?
The lump feels firm to the touch.:cry:

alexgirl73
02-01-2008, 01:47 PM
oh dear Elaine. My friend had this with her hammie, and as you say, not to sound cruel, but she wishes she hadn't. Took her to the vets (the same ones that wanted to put Teddie TS) and they convinced her to have it operated on, the poor wee thing came through the surgery then dies 2 days later from infection. She was out of pocket to over £100 and she felt that it had suffered needlessly, she wante the vet to put ITS when she first went, but he talked her round!!!

Elaine
02-01-2008, 01:54 PM
This is what i worry about Alex, not so much the cost although it is obviously a factor coz i am not rich by any stretch but I do have this beleif in giving animals every chance of life I can. But in such a small creature it scares me and perhaps it would be kinder to let her go.
She is not a handleable hamster as you all know so things are not going to be easy for her and probably more stressful at the end of the day.

alexgirl73
02-01-2008, 02:01 PM
You have to go with your instinct on ths one Elaine I think. The problem with tumours and small animals, is that once they have one, they tend to have more. Thinking of you ((hugs))

Elaine
02-01-2008, 05:32 PM
Thanx Alex:(

Jac
02-01-2008, 05:42 PM
elaine this is a hard one. Every living creature has the right to live a good life. You have given her a fantastic life but as you say she is a small animal.
There is a school of thought that once you opperate on cancer it spreads. I tend to agree with that due to past experiances with animals and people.
I would see what your vet says. You'll do the right thing by her I know. ((((((((())))))))) Hugs.

Elaine
02-01-2008, 05:44 PM
Thanx Jac, I feel terrible that I didnt notice anything sooner but while she still has some quality of life, I may leave her be for a bit, will see what the vet has to say.

Jac
02-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Elaine these things can happen over night!! and as you say you cant really handle her. It would be different if you cuddled her every day and didn't notice. Stop being daft!!!
Let us know what the Vet say's. You'll be guided by him/her.

Grete
03-01-2008, 08:09 AM
Sorry to hear about Indy Elaine :(

Not an easy choice but I think you have the right instinct.
Quantity of life and quality are two different things and I honestly think quality is the more important of the two.

*hugs*

Elaine
03-01-2008, 08:18 PM
Indy is gone:cry:

Kazz
03-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Sorry to hear that Elaine.

yola
03-01-2008, 09:16 PM
So very sorry Elaine.

Elaine
03-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Thankyou but it was the right thing to do, of that i am sure.
I took her to work with me and made the appointment for the afternoon. She even let me stroke her, so I knew all was not well.

random
03-01-2008, 09:36 PM
So sorry to hear that Elaine. :(

yola
03-01-2008, 11:11 PM
Thankyou but it was the right thing to do, of that i am sure.
I took her to work with me and made the appointment for the afternoon. She even let me stroke her, so I knew all was not well.

Yes, when they act out of character then it's quite an indicator. Thanks for helping her on her way . . . however difficult it was. Hugs.

Grete
04-01-2008, 10:44 AM
*hugs* Elaine. Never easy, but I know you did the right thing.