PDA

View Full Version : How do you wean a kitten

kado
01-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Hi all i was wondering how you should go about weaning a kitten. The new kitten i am getting isnt intrested in food at all at the minute i know he/she is only 6wks but the mum max is eating all the food. She also brought a tiny shrew in the living room. They are still feeding off her as she is very protective as well. Should they be left to eat food when they want to start. Max will be getting speyed as soon as the babies are weaned.

jane

smudgley
01-01-2008, 10:11 PM
They need to be seperated from their mom & given a chance to eat some solid food, by 6 weeks they should be well underway with solids & almost ready to live without depending on Mom.

kado
01-01-2008, 10:59 PM
I am going to see them tomorrow night and will tell max'x owner. I want the best for both of the kittens but i thought they should be already eating solids. All my other cats where weaned at 6 wks.

smudgley
01-01-2008, 11:03 PM
Cats are geerally very good moms & will if given the chance mother their young for too long :roll: and of course the bubas love it & will suckle & be mothered for too long :roll:

I tend to add warm water to some kitten food & put a little on their paws & on their faces.... after they've finished looking at you in disgust :shock: they will wash their little feet & faces all clean & realise that it's actually quite good stuff & this will usually get them going!

but if Moms there, she will just keep eating it all, so the kittens need some time away from her so they can explore the food on their own. :cool:

kado
01-01-2008, 11:24 PM
Thats a realy good suggestion. I will get him to try it tommorow

alexgirl73
01-01-2008, 11:29 PM
lol at the thought of the kittens faces Kel, there's not an expression quite like it is there?

Good suggestions there from Smudgley kado, also perhaps giving them some kitten milk to get them used to lapping.

sarahd
03-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Kitten milk can give them the runs if they aren't used to it therefore a diluted solution of 1 part milk and 4 parts water is better so as its not too rich for their tummies.
You could also suggest a small kitten biscuit soaked in hot water and left to cool to tempt them. This usually works well as the hot water brings out a strong taste and aroma in the biscuits making it too tempting for kittens to resist.
I would also say its probably best for mum to be seperated from the kittens now to let them get on with weaning. Maybe only put them back with her at night so she doesn't fret too much and obviously for them to be supplemented until they get the hang of eating.
Once they have started though there is usually no stopping them and it doesnt normally take them long to get to grips with things.
I also agree with Smudgeley about putting some food on their paws or even standing them in the plate as they will generally walk through it anyway lol. Kittens hate their paws being dirty and will always lick things off immediately. You could also try putting a little bit of food on their noses as they will usually lick it off there too. Or even offer it on your finger or the end of a spoon. I know it sounds like a big palaver but its worth it to get them going and won't be for long.

Sarah
x