PDA

View Full Version : spaying

swerv
01-01-2008, 08:01 PM
girl is going in on friday as she is now 6 months old, we have requested with the vets to have a midline op done and they dont have a problem with this.

are there any extra risks with this as opposed to on the side?

thanks

Moofster
01-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Oh, well I dont know of any difference but that doesnt mean anything :cat12 Will be interested in comments posted

My latest female addition Miss Moofi had her op done down the midline, thats how they do it here in Spain and she was fine :cat10 I guess they have to go through muscle tissue whichever way they go in.

Amber
01-01-2008, 08:12 PM
It doesn't really make a difference to be totally honest. The reason some vets prefer to spay midline, is becaue the incision is made along the linea alba which is the point where all of the abdominal muscles join. This means that when stitching back up, the vets do not have to re-stitch all of the muscles individually, as they all join here anyway.

borderdawn
01-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Why did you request a midline?

swerv
01-01-2008, 08:24 PM
main reason we didnt want a risk of her colour changing, thats the only reason really but if it was more dangerous then we wouldnt do it.

smudgley
01-01-2008, 08:31 PM
As far as I know it's easier to do on the flank as the uterus is easier to get to from there.

I've had cats done midline without any problems.

dandysmom
01-01-2008, 10:46 PM
My two girls here in the States were done midline; Patches was spayed when I got her, and Onyx too. I don't know what the difference is; agree it will be interesting to read the replys!

borderdawn
01-01-2008, 11:19 PM
main reason we didnt want a risk of her colour changing, thats the only reason really but if it was more dangerous then we wouldnt do it.
Colour wouldnt alter on that coloured Cat. Its only rarely on colourpointed Cats, however if its no detriment to the Cat, I cant see any harm in it, and I suppose "cosmetically" its not visible like the side spay.
Dawn.

Fran
01-01-2008, 11:32 PM
A midline incision spey is a bigger op than a flank spey. Colour changing can happen after a flank spey but is usually only noticable on pale coloured cats like colourpointed cats. I generally opt for midline spey unless the cat is a tortie tbh. I think it comes down to personal preference really but certainly a flank spey is generally considered an easier op.

swerv
04-01-2008, 10:28 AM
well took her in this morning, much harder than i thought it would be!!

spoke to them about the midline and they assure me its no more complicated than a flank op and is just personal pref.

boy cat is missing his sister very much at the moment trying to keep him occupied, taken the day off today so he's not on his own.

for those interested the price is £59 for midline, £9 more than a flank. microchipping is £10.99.

Moofster
04-01-2008, 10:34 AM
awww I am sure she's gonna be just fine !!

Heres sending lots of postive {{{:smt049vibes:smt049}}} for a quick and smooth op ! and a hug for you http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff308/UUGenie/Smilies/hug.gif
Let us know when she home

dinahsmum
04-01-2008, 10:43 AM
She'll be fine. Quiet tonight probably but ready for anything tomorrow morning, after a good sleep.
You'll probably be fine too - try to chill!

Jac
04-01-2008, 11:36 AM
If your anything like me you'll clean the house from top to bottom to kep busy:lol:

She will be fine. (((((((()))))) hugs.

swerv
04-01-2008, 02:44 PM
shes back.......so pleased it all went well.

vets gave me some special food for her, trying to get her to eat is proving 'difficult' she prefers her dry food and boy is eating hers....lol i keep having to swap them over:D

Moofster
04-01-2008, 03:06 PM
awww bet its good to have her home - does she have to wear one of those buckets to stop her licking her wound ??

swerv
04-01-2008, 03:08 PM
no, the vets said if she starts 'picking' then go back and get one but she has been fine so far.

cooked her fresh chicken for later, im far too soft...lol

alexgirl73
04-01-2008, 03:37 PM
lol, wrapped round her little paws! So glad to hear she's back and fine.

swerv
21-01-2008, 02:28 PM
ok update...

girl is now fine there were some 'complications' but it turned out to be nothing serious.

she had some swelling of the tissue around the scar it got quite big at one stage so we had to rush her down, we didnt know if it a hernia/infection or what, luckily it was just a reaction with some inflamation of the surrounding tissue.

she has been so good, you wouldnt even have known that she had the op, she didnt need a satellite on her head, she wasnt bothered by the stiches at all!!

so the course of anti-inflamitries is now finished and she is fine.

got it all to do with boy in a few months:shock: he is a complete baby so not looking forward to it:(

dinahsmum
21-01-2008, 02:36 PM
It's a much simpler operation in boys. He'll be fine