PDA

View Full Version : What a way to end the year

Elaine
31-12-2007, 09:05 PM
Got up at 6.30 this morning. I am currently pet sitting for three different houses, as i was working today, I had to get up early to get round them all before work.
First stop was only next door, no problems.
Then up to see my old pal Pippin, remember the old cat with a heart condition? Well, I couldnt get the key to work in the door, half an hour I was there in the freezing cold trying to get in to see to Pippin. Finally got in but had no time to groom him now. Neigbours kept looking at me trying to get in, I thought some one was gonna call the police. How ever got him all sorted with his food and meds thankfully.
Then drove across town to see to Quinn, Kershaw, Felix (the stray) and Bunty the rabbit. Bunty was a bit grumpy, no sign of Felix. Felix is now neutered and is gradually moving into the house. Anyway, turned round and here was a poor bedraggled kitty at the back door. She looks like she should be grey and fluffy but is matted and manky, full of fleas, malnourished and very wobbly on her legs.
I put some food out for her which she literally inhaled.
Went to work and couldnt stop thinking about her. I called my vets and explained to them and said I would try to catch her to get her checked over. During the day i went back to the house four times but couldnt find her.
I didnt think she would have gone far but just couldnt find her.
Finnished work at 4. Went back to the house and made sure the rabbit and cats were ok and fed and watered. Still no sign of Felix. Was about to leave when the light at the back door clicked on. I went out, expecting to see Felix but no it was the poor bedraggled girl.
I coaxed her into the kitchen and managed to get her into the cat carrier.
Called my vet, snippy receptionist who i used to really like began to get aukward with me. I was almost falling out with her when I heard one of the vets in the back ground say to tell me to take her in.
I was there in 5 minutes. Vet looked her over, no collar, no micro chip, heart murmer, fluid in her tummy, malnourished, weak, riddled with fleas.
We wormed her and gave her flea treatment there and then.
My next problem, what do i do with her now, as you all kinow the Diva doesnt take very well to other cats. I called one of my good friends and asked if she could take her in, even if it was just for a few days till I got something sorted.
She said she'd have to ask her partner and would call me back. The poor old kitty is back in my car and being driven across Aberdeen while i see to the other cats and wait for Emma to call. No call, so I called her back, her partner hadnt come home but she said to take the cat out to her. So we then drove 7 miles out of Aberdeen and she is now safe and warm. I think Emma will keep her, the poor old cat has obviously been living out for some time now.
I have to take her back to the vets on Friday and have her xrayed etc to see how bad her condition really is but fingers crossed she can now live out the rest of her life in comfort.

Erin
31-12-2007, 09:12 PM
sounds like you have had a busy day mate.well done for getting that little babe sorted,she sounds like a little poppet,hope everything comes back ok when you take her back to te vets,have everything crossed here.hope Emma keeps her too

dandysmom
31-12-2007, 09:57 PM
Very well done you! That poor waif will at least go into the New Year warm and fed; I hope she doesn't need any sort of op and that Emma decides to keep her. What a good deed to end the year!!

Elaine
31-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Emma has just called, she has named her Pootle and wants to keep her. Liz has also very kindly called and offered us the use of her vet as she gets a discount. So we may well do that especially as she needs to be xrayed to find out the extent of the heart murmer etc.
Pootle is currently tucked up in a shoe box under Emmas bed. She now has her litter tray there and her food in the hall just outside.
It will probably take her a few days or so to get used to her new surroundings but I am so pleased she is no longer out in the cold and wet.
Bless Emma for taking her in for me especially as she just lost her rescue dog a few days ago.
I told her that Byron was just making a space for this poor wee soul, thanked her lots and gave her several big hugs.
All the very best for 2008 Pootle and Emma xxx

Moli
31-12-2007, 11:26 PM
Thank goodness you found her Elaine, poor little girl, sounds as if she has been straying for quite a while...

Mags
31-12-2007, 11:32 PM
Well done Elaine for taking the time and trouble to make sure this little girl was ok, taking her to the vet and finding her a warm home for the New Year ........ you deserve a medal!;)

Grete
31-12-2007, 11:36 PM
What a wonderful thing you did Elaine, I mean that from the bottom of my heart. I'm sitting here crying :roll:

Poor baby, I'm so glad she is getting love, comfort and warmth - your friend is an angel.

Keeping my fingers crossed all she needs is some TLC.

Elaine
01-01-2008, 09:54 AM
Thankyou all. No medal required Mags, I just hate to see animals in need of care. I am glad I found her and didnt let it rest until I got her in somewhere. I was worried that she would have to spend some time in my cellars but at least she would have had shelter and food. I am even more pleased and delighted that my friend Emma has taken her in and will care for her.
I will keep you all updated on her progress and will try to get some pictures of her once she is a little settled.

Donna
01-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Well done Elaine!

Moofster
01-01-2008, 11:44 AM
:smt023 what a wonderful thing you did, poor little mite !

Great news that your friend can keep her - I can just picture Pootle all snugged up, warm fed and happy and looking a purrfect picture :smt049 and cant wait to see some real photos of her ! Is your friend a member here ?

Jac
01-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Elaine well done. Poor wee soul was sent to you. You know that dont you?
So glad she has the best start to the year she could. Warm, safe and loved.

Elaine
01-01-2008, 01:22 PM
Emma isnt a member here yet:lol:
Will update as soon as i hear anything.

Elaine
01-01-2008, 05:52 PM
Who keeps moving the furnature eh?:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry, It will be my new years resolution to post in the appropriate sections in future:-D
Anyway, am a bit worried as i have been unable to get hold of Emma to say happy new year and to check on Pootle, I am hoping all is ok.

angieh
01-01-2008, 10:27 PM
I had tears in my eyes reading Pootle's story. Hope you have managed to catch up with Emma, Elaine.

PS Isn't that a lovely name, Pootle - is it from Peter Pan!

Elaine
01-01-2008, 10:31 PM
Just off the phone to Emma. Pootle is fine. Emma thinks she may have a broken tooth. She is quite vocal, Emma gave her a bit of a brush, she says she now looks like she has had an electric shock:lol: .
Felix the other stray turned up tonight, so I am very releived.

alexgirl73
01-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Just came across this one Elaine. Big ((hugs)) to you and Emma. So glad to hear little Pootle is safe and snug.

kado
01-01-2008, 11:57 PM
What a lovely heart warming story to start 2008 with. It brought tears to my eyes. Love the name too. Please let us no onhow she is getting on

Elaine
02-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Going out to see her in about half an hour, will take the camera with me. She has pooped twice this morning, Emma said it all looks very healthy but it was under the xmas tree:lol:

Erin
02-01-2008, 01:33 PM
cant wait to see piccies of her :D

babycakes
02-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Thats really good news Elaine well done to you. Pootle is a fabulous name too. All the best to Pootle and well done to Emma

PoshPuss
02-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Elaine, I'm sure your pal Emma will be rewarded a thousand fold by her new furball. She must be a great friend to have helped out like this. Happy new year greetins to you, Emma and Pootle. :)

yola
02-01-2008, 01:44 PM
Elaine, well done for helping this little one. Brought a lump to my throat too. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures later on :D

Moofster
02-01-2008, 02:22 PM
awww great that you can still see sweet Pootle - cant wait to see her photos :cat10

angieh
02-01-2008, 04:34 PM
Yes - definitely looking forward to those photos!