PDA

View Full Version : tasty dewormer pills ?

miki
30-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Hi!

I have two cats at home and I have trouble making them swallow their dewormer pills...
I have already tried to mix the pills (crushed) and liquid dewormers with food, have used the pill gun but that isn't really working for me...
I am to slow to give them pils, they always manage to spill them out ...

Does anybody know of tasty cat dewormers that a cat would readily accept? It doesn't mattere if they are a bit more expensive...
Cause i found some vitaminmineral supplemets for cats that my two eat happily so I presume that there must also be dewormer tabs somewhere (I just can't find them)...
I want dewormer not just for roundworms but for hookworms, whipworms and tapeworms as well or at least against some of them, not just against one type of parasite...

Thanks!

Mags
30-12-2007, 08:00 PM
Hi and welcome to Catsey!:D

I use Panacur Favourites for my cat ...... they are a chewable tablet that she will eat out of my hand or crumbled on top of her meat.

http://www.pilgrimspets.com/shopimages/products/normal/PFavouritesc.jpg

miki
30-12-2007, 09:14 PM
thanks, will have a look :)

Amber
30-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Yes panacur favourites are often good for cats who are difficult to tablet - the only downside is they do not protect against tapeworm.

You may like to look into Profender, which is a spot on wormer administered in the same way as spot on flea treatments. It is manufactured by Bayer and protects against roundworms, hookworms and tapeworms.

http://www.profender.no/index.php/page/106

Leo's Mummy !
31-12-2007, 10:45 AM
You can also get little edible covers for tablets which I cant find now (sods law) I was in process of ordering the other day & my laptop went down .. they looked really good

miki
31-12-2007, 04:10 PM
I will probably buy Panacur favourites and hopefully they will like it :)
Don't like spot on too much, because one of my cats has long hair and I am not sure that the medication can truly penetrate thru it. I know you give it on the shoulderblades and remove hair while doing it. I am also not sure how Profender mixes with frontline (fleas, ticks)...
I have seen "pockets for tablets" but i don't think they would eat the pill than - they would probably just eat around it. :(

have just one more question...In Uk is it allowed to sell wormers (like panacur) in petshops? (It isn't allowed here)
Do you think it is cheaper to buy those tablets online or in a petshop? I don't think they are very expensive, I have to buy the pills at the vet and they are disgusting for cats and are more expensive than Panacur...

Mags
31-12-2007, 04:29 PM
As far as I know you can't buy Panacur in the petshops here in the UK.

I used to get mine from the Vet but have since discovered you can get them quite a bit cheaper online.:D

Amber
31-12-2007, 08:54 PM
Don't like spot on too much, because one of my cats has long hair and I am not sure that the medication can truly penetrate thru it. I know you give it on the shoulderblades and remove hair while doing it. I am also not sure how Profender mixes with frontline (fleas, ticks)...

Provided the liquid is applied to the skin rather than onto the coat, it will be absorbed correctly into the cat. The trick I have found is to apply it in a few different places, to ensure that it does not run onto the coat too much. It is fine when used with frontline, just as long as 48 hours is left between the application of each.

Donna
31-12-2007, 10:35 PM
Word of warning though - not all cats like the Panacur Favourites - my Chloe turns her nose up!!

miki
01-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the warning...Will only order one than to see if they like it. I also found some others tasty dewormers tho.

And I also found out that drontal has a new tasty dewormer for dogs, haven't found one for cats tho, will look again.

Anyway, if that doesn't work, I will probably buy spot on.

miki
01-01-2008, 03:13 PM
So I have been checking on the net and found some more chewable wormers for cats. I will write them here in case someone needs them too :)

Chewable wormers for cats:

Panacur favourites for cats (as is already mentioned above)
Wormout tasties (they even have several different tastes to choose from - but are a bit expensive, I think they are from AU)
Exelpet wormer for cats (Masterfoods)
Whiskas wormer for cats (Intervet UK)

Will still add some if I find them ;)