PDA

View Full Version : Kittens and collars

Tinker
29-12-2007, 09:08 PM
At what age are the breakaway type of collar safe for kittens?
I am guessing the kitten has to be heavy enough for the catch to release if the kitten gets hung up on it?

When we had Bobby it was from a rescue who insisted that he wore a collar with a tag right from the start so he was about 10 weeks old when he got a collar. Tinker was an adult when we got her so got a collar straight away.

We will be having Rosie and Pheobe microchipped when they are spayed (around March time) but would also like a visible form of ID in case they get out (though we will be keeping them inside until they are spayed they are very curious and quick!).

Emm
30-12-2007, 02:32 PM
the break away collars are meant for cats about 6 months plus - thats what the manufactureres of the buckles recommend. However it is fine to put on a kitten collar for a younger cat to help them get used to wearing a collar just don't leave them unattended wearing one until they are big enough.

And please don't be tempted to get an elastic collar - I wish those types of collars were banned for good!

Moofster
30-12-2007, 02:40 PM
Some intersting information from a web page :)

The Feline Advisory Bureau recommends waiting until a kitten is 6 months or older before fitting a collar.

The smallest adjustment on all of our collars is about 20 cm which tends to fit from about 6 months, but it depends on the size and breed. For your kitten's safety and comfort, it's important to wait until the collar fits properly. The guideline is that you should be able to fit only 1 to 2 fingers between the collar and the neck. We haven't found a safe collar for younger/smaller kittens.

Kittens grow very quickly, so check the collar weekly and adjust as needed.

Hope that helps.

Kazz
30-12-2007, 04:19 PM
I know you can get paper collars for puppies....but not sure about kittens..I am sure things were not this complicated 25 years ago when I last had kittens.

Tinker
30-12-2007, 05:08 PM
That is great, thanks :smt023
Don't worry Emm, I would never get an elastic collar. I will only use breakaway ones.