PDA

View Full Version : £1 a day

Kazz
29-12-2007, 04:52 PM
Yesterday I started my £1 a day jar.

To explain I put a £1 a day then have the money for Christmas food etc etc 360 approx...sometimes add a little more to the jar if I claim petrol meoney from work or something.

Works well and I do not even miss it.:-D

Maybe worth trying

alexgirl73
29-12-2007, 04:57 PM
I would love to do this but I'd end up dipping it lol.

Kazz
29-12-2007, 05:05 PM
I would love to do this but I'd end up dipping it lol.

Put it in a glass jar that you seal the lid then you would have to break the jar to dip in.;)

Mags
29-12-2007, 05:07 PM
What a good idea Kazz, it would soon mount up and it's nice to see the pile grow..:D

For years now I have saved 50p coins, also since they came out a few years ago...£2 coins. I save them up in £20 bank bags and when I have 5 of them I buy a Premium Bond..:D

It's a brilliant idea of saving for Christmas though, it won't come so hard on the pocket when December arrives. People would just have to find the will-power to leave the kitty untouched ;)

alexgirl73
29-12-2007, 05:09 PM
That's what I lack Mags, willpower lol!

Kazz
29-12-2007, 05:15 PM
In that case convert it to pennies....much less tempting to use pennies :)

Mags
29-12-2007, 05:19 PM
That's what I lack Mags, willpower lol!

:smt075:grin:

You could do it if you set your mind to it Alex ........ why not start with 50p - that would give you £180 odd for next Christmas ;)

dandysmom
29-12-2007, 05:37 PM
When I first started working and was quite poor, the Savings and Loan in the building had a Christmas Club. You put in a small amount, or whatever you could, throughout the year, it collected interest, not much, but still nice, and the best thing was, you couldn't withdraw from it! So no temptation! And you got a check on December first! I have no idea if they still offer that, but it was a lovely idea...

Moli
29-12-2007, 07:21 PM
I save 20 & 50pences, have about £300 at the mo, its for a rainy day:D

Mags
29-12-2007, 07:36 PM
I save 20 & 50pences, have about £300 at the mo, its for a rainy day:D
I used to save 20p's as well when they were first minted .....I get far too many of them now though. :lol: When they eventually bring out the £5 coin I'll save that and drop the 50p's..

Kazz
29-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Just to mention anyone who has too many of any sort of coins..notes etc can send them to me ;)

Mags
29-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Just to mention anyone who has too many of any sort of coins..notes etc can send them to me ;)
I'll keep that in mind Kazz! :-D

smudgley
29-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Well I have an asda saving card & put on £10 each week when I go shopping. That adds up & is really useful at Christmas.

Also this is a great money saving tip! Use Morrisons for fuel & get a Morrisons swipe card. Each time you fill up with fuel (which is really cheap fuel) you get points on the card, every so often you get a £5 voucher for the store. we only started saving in October & we have got £40! (ok, I use more than average fuel, but saing that I sometimes use other places to fill up) Also my brother-in-law has got £40 in them & he gave us his as he wants us to spend them on food / drink for new Year. :cool: So we've got £80 in total to spend on a little party!

I will be using Morrisons only for fuel as of Jan & will save the vouchers til next Christmas.

Kazz
29-12-2007, 08:27 PM
I do the Asda savings card and have a Sainsbury's card too

smudgley
29-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Ooh - I'm not posh enough to shop in Sainsburys :-D

Mags
29-12-2007, 08:30 PM
I'm not posh!! :shock: :-D

Kazz
29-12-2007, 08:35 PM

I like Sainsbury's :-D and yes I am posh....:-D

alexgirl73
29-12-2007, 09:26 PM
:smt075:grin:

You could do it if you set your mind to it Alex ........ why not start with 50p - that would give you £180 odd for next Christmas ;)

I have one of those big savings bottles that I use for saving pennies, 2ps and 5ps in, but tbh there have been many occasions when I've had to raid that and go to Asdas self service tills with a pocket full of them for bread and milk:oops:

dandysmom
29-12-2007, 09:42 PM
I keep a bowl on the desk and put whatever loose change I have in it at the end of the day; then roll the coins and take them to the bank when I have enough ......it adds up!

Kim
29-12-2007, 11:03 PM
Great idea Kazz. I think I will start buyign the Tesco savings stamps this year, it really helps in December.

Kazz
01-01-2008, 09:15 PM
Totaly agree there Kim. I buy savings stamps every month put £50 in stamps, sometimes a little more. So after 12 months I have £600 and usually give my sister £300 of that....helps her out.

angieh
01-01-2008, 10:08 PM
Has anyone had the experience of trying to take properly counted and bagged coins into a bank and asking to change them for paper money? I got a very frosty reception at my local branch of my own bank - and it was not at peak time or anything like that. I felt like I was being accused of robbing someone's piggy bank. Those Coinstar machines are good, but they take 10%. :cry: :cry: :cry:

dandysmom
01-01-2008, 10:15 PM
I've never tried that; I just take my rolled coins along with the checks when I make a deposit. I suspect my bank might be a bit difficult if I had a lot and wanted bills.....
And they are always touting service and customer satisfaction ..:roll:

Kazz
02-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Has anyone had the experience of trying to take properly counted and bagged coins into a bank and asking to change them for paper money? I got a very frosty reception at my local branch of my own bank - and it was not at peak time or anything like that. I felt like I was being accused of robbing someone's piggy bank. Those Coinstar machines are good, but they take 10%. :cry: :cry: :cry:
I've never experienced that although I know people who have. I take my change into my Lloyds branch and no hassle pay it straight in. And Monday when I was there a lady in front of me had £310 of change and paid it into her account then withdrew £300 in notes. No problem I could see.

Be confident and smile. Its all money.:-D

Jac
02-01-2008, 06:21 PM
I put £1 a day into a jar as well. I add any £2 coins I get and also 50p at the end of the day. It sounds a lot but I dont miss it and it fairly mounts up.

How do you think I paid for my cats;)

babycakes
02-01-2008, 06:24 PM
I save £2 coins and 50p's and when we go on holiday it pays for that something extra (car hire, upgrade on room, boat trip) it is worth doing and yes I occasionally dip in but not too often. I wish I could save a£1 a day and I may even have a go Kazz and see how I get on. Thanks for the tip. I save pennies, tuppences and five penny pieces and they go to the PDSA

babycakes
02-01-2008, 06:25 PM

You can take it bagged to the post office they don't mind it

Donna
02-01-2008, 06:37 PM
Am I the only one that sees today's banking as a problem for saving coins? My pay goes into my bank and all bills are sorted through direct debit. I pay for anything on my debit card whether it be £10 for petrol or £3 for some bread and milk. I NEVER use cash!!! So how does somebody like me save their coins? I never have any lol

Kazz
02-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Am I the only one that sees today's banking as a problem for saving coins? My pay goes into my bank and all bills are sorted through direct debit. I pay for anything on my debit card whether it be £10 for petrol or £3 for some bread and milk. I NEVER use cash!!! So how does somebody like me save their coins? I never have any lol

Simple put a direct debit into action putting £7 a week or £28 a month into a savings account....:-D

Donna
02-01-2008, 08:10 PM
Simple put a direct debit into action putting £7 a week or £28 a month into a savings account....:-D

Doh!!! Didnt think of that!!!!

Kazz
02-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Doh!!! Didnt think of that!!!!

No problem......:-D

Grete
03-01-2008, 07:46 AM
Lol I was thinking the same as Donna there, I rarely have or use cash. Setting it up into a savings account is a brilliant idea :)

Kim
03-01-2008, 09:45 PM
Totaly agree there Kim. I buy savings stamps every month put £50 in stamps, sometimes a little more. So after 12 months I have £600 and usually give my sister £300 of that....helps her out.

You sister is very lucky to have YOU as a sister Kazz! :)

Kazz
03-01-2008, 10:26 PM
You sister is very lucky to have YOU as a sister Kazz! :)

I tell her that often, mind you I got the looks, the talent, the money.....and..of course the modesty and all she got was Me.....:roll:

Jac
04-01-2008, 02:06 AM
I tell her that often, mind you I got the looks, the talent, the money.....and..of course the modesty and all she got was Me.....:roll:

Don't you dare sell yourself short Kazz!! You are one of the most kind considerate people I have met.
You checked out of the hospital to go to the supreme, sporting a huge plaster on the back of your hand. Telling me you had been on a drip. They only let you out cause you promised to be good and go back on the Monday.

You took Ceilidh to get a stuffed dog because she was a bit upset. Then got one of the stewards to judge her dog!! Made her feel really special. That in its self takes someone with a big heart.

While we were having our meal you let slip that you should have been at a wedding and christening on the same day. Yet you chose to come and see us. I think that say's it all Oour Karen!!!!!! xxxxxx