PDA

View Full Version : soft claws

sylvest&tweety
29-12-2007, 01:59 PM
has any one tried these on thier cats??? do they work? thought i might give them a go, not because the cat destructively scratches but because every time he has a mad run around he adds another scratch to our new leather sofa??

Elaine
29-12-2007, 06:13 PM
I have seen them and dont really aprove tbh. I worry also what damage they may do to their real claws.

miki
31-12-2007, 07:29 PM
I wonder what would happen if the cat swallowed them...
It is far better than declawing though and perhaps this is good for training cats that scratch no to...

Moofster
31-12-2007, 07:56 PM
A lot of the Americans use them and from what I have heard at another cat site with great success ! A lot of the web pages answer a lot of your worries, so its also worthwhile checking out what the manufacturers / sellers of soft claws have to say. Theres also another one called softpaws. Lets face it, it is like 100 gazillions times better than even thinking about declawing, which I know this was not one of your thoughts anyway.

They are glued on but as you know cats shed their nail 'skins' thats one reason why they scratch to help remove the old nail skin. So the soft claw just sheds with the natural one :cat20 So theres an extra cost as you need to keep replacing them.

The main issue is getting them on your cat - if you have regularly trimmed your cats nails then he will be used to having his claws messed with. If not, well thats another matter. I wouldnt dream of putting them on one of my cats, I dont want any scars on my face :cat24

Deciding to use them is obviously up to you but like anything else it takes time and patience.............oh and money :cat12

Let us know how you go on if you do decide to have a go ! Good luck !!

dandysmom
01-01-2008, 12:00 AM
I have rather negative feelings about them, especially as I cannot imagine trying to put them on Leia! But haven't really done any research on them. If you go for it, do let us know.

sylvest&tweety
01-01-2008, 01:58 PM
I bought some soft claws to give them a go I managed to get them on with a bit of patience - (I have been trimming sylvesters nails and he just gets a bit fed up half way through). that was yesterday, and this morning 3 of them have come off - it may be because I didn't get them on right - they don't seem to bother him too much. The jury is out as yet you get 40 in a pack so I will see how we get on!!:?

Moofster
01-01-2008, 05:45 PM
oooo any photos - did you get the coloured ones, they look pretty cool in those :cat12

sylvest&tweety
01-01-2008, 10:48 PM
no photos yet but will get some - I got blue ones - much to my daughters disgust!!!

Emm
02-01-2008, 12:58 PM
I really hate the idea of them - I would be a bit worried if they come off so easily as well incase the cat swallows them. Scratching is such a natural behaviour for cats - I have 5 cats and a leather suite they don't seem to cause any damage to it.

Donna
02-01-2008, 01:45 PM
I really hate the idea of them - I would be a bit worried if they come off so easily as well incase the cat swallows them.

After Misty's episode of swallowing stuff she shouldnt, I would be rather worried of this too.

sylvest&tweety
02-01-2008, 05:02 PM
here is a picture of sylvester wearing his blue soft claws and playing with the taps again!!

as for swallowing, I caught sylvester playing with one that came off yesterday he was throwing it around and catching it. they are so small that i thought they would probably just go all the way through???

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii17/annenic/PICT0171.jpg

Moofster
02-01-2008, 05:06 PM
:smt007 well dont he just look dandy !!!

Love this photo of him by the sink getting a little drink :cat10

alexgirl73
02-01-2008, 05:40 PM
they look so cute lol! Wonder if Teddie would like some in hot pink????

Grete
03-01-2008, 08:11 AM
I have to say I've wondered about these. The idea is a good one and FAR preferable to declawing (not that I would ever dream of doing that to a cat).

Let us know how he gets on with them :)

Amber
03-01-2008, 05:59 PM
I personally don't like the idea of them - as far as I'm concerned cats have sharp claws for a reason, they use them to climb for example.