PDA

View Full Version : Using a new litter tray?

carolinexx
29-12-2007, 01:37 PM
Another dumb question from me:lol:

Kitty has been an angel using the litter tray, not one accident, everything in the litter!

BUT her tray is in the bathroom and she tends to do most of her business at night or in the early morning, so when we get up we are greeted with a lovely smell in the bathroom! It's also not pleasant to look at an open litter tray, even when it's clean.

So I have got her one of the covered litter trays (that look like a cat carrier) with the carbon filter for those nasty smells but how can I get her to use it? I am not sure whether she will go through the flap into the tray, we don't have a catflap yet as she's not allowed outside for another few weeks.

I have started off by putting her old tray inside the tray of the new one with the lid off, (which she used today!) then I will put the litter straight in the new tray, again with the lid off but I'm just worried that when the lid goes on and she has to use the flap that she won't go in to use the litter!

Any thoughts or suggestions?

PS I'm hoping that the new tray will be cleaner too as she does tend to flick litter all over the floor too!

Mags
29-12-2007, 02:14 PM
Cassie uses a hooded litter tray but I left the hood on and took the flap off it right at the start.

If you put some of her litter from the tray she is using now in it, she will soon get used to going in there. :D

Jane
29-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Patch has a litter tray with a cover on it but he couldn't use the door so we took it off for him :)

Aslong as it's in the same place as her old one is she'll probably find it pretty soon :D

carolinexx
07-01-2008, 12:59 PM
Update:

I left the door off and used her old litter and she goes in fine. I have just put the door on a couple of days ago and she's not keen but she will eventually go in and use it. At least we've had no accidents!

Thanks for the help, I hadn't even thought to leave the door off!

Mags
07-01-2008, 02:04 PM
Pleased to hear Kitty has adjusted to her new hooded litter tray! :D

yola
07-01-2008, 02:13 PM
That's excellent news Caroline! It's often just a case of finding what works best for your cat - they all have different likes and dislikes.