PDA

View Full Version : Indoor or outdoor??

sylvest&tweety
28-12-2007, 09:57 PM
My oldest cat sylvester is 7 months old and has been neutered. We had intended to let him outside during the day and to keep him in at night,, that isn't his plan though. He wants to stay in all day and go out at night - so far I have refused to let him out but he prowls the windows and doors around 10pm crying to get out. what should i do give in and let him out or make the decision the keep him and his little brother indoors?

Anne

alexgirl73
28-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Cats can be so pernickity cant they!!! Tbh, my 3 cats are all indoor, but if I was to let them out I couldn't sleep knowing they were out at night. Mad I know, but just how I feel lol. I think most on here have their cats in at night too.

Elaine
28-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Cats will want out at night, its their nature and hunting instincts. There is no harm in keeping them as indoor only cats if you prefer that. My cats seem to have learned that I will not let them out at night and so have got used to it. They only get outside in the day time and when i am home coz i live in the city but my back garden has an extremely high wall to stop them getting out into the streets.
I notice you live in the hioghlands, can i ask where?
Watch out you soft southerners, the Scots are invading this forum:lol: :lol: :lol:

sylvest&tweety
28-12-2007, 10:15 PM
Hi Elaine
don't they try to get away even throught the day? I have had sylvester outside during the day, he is happy to stay by my side but won't go anywhere. I always thought it was a bit cruel to keep them indoors but I would rather that than being outside at night - i am in Thurso right at the top!!
Anne

alexgirl73
28-12-2007, 10:18 PM
My dads family were all from Thurso!! The closest I got was Wick lol.

dandysmom
28-12-2007, 10:20 PM
Cats are nocturnal prowlers and hunters by instinct, but I agree indoor at night is much safer. He should adjust if you stick to it. Have you thought of giving him a good romp/playtime before bedtime to use up some of his energy and make him more disposed to rest? And is it safe in your area: traffic, foxes, feral dogs, traps, etc?

sylvest&tweety
28-12-2007, 10:20 PM
Hi alexgirl!!
Poor you, should have travelled another 10 miles or so to get to Thurso!!

Anne

Elaine
28-12-2007, 10:22 PM
Oooh Thurso, that makes you the most northerly one amongst us:lol:
No, the wall is 18 - 20 ft high. If they really wanted to get out then i guess they could as i have seen other cats get in and out of the garden but my two either dont want to leave their dear mummy me or are too stupid and lazy to suss it out:lol:
Its not cruel to keep them indoors provided there is enough stimulations for them.

Mags
28-12-2007, 10:24 PM
Cassie has access to outdoors during the daytime but I always get her in during the evening and lock her catflap.

Sam, my previous cat was a bit like Sylvester...... he went out during the day and I locked him in at night. He was neutered too but he would scratch and "howl" to get outside when it was night time. I had an awful time with him, he even broke a cat flap once with his efforts..:roll: I never gave in to him though ........ I wouldn't sleep knowing I had a cat still outside after dark...

sylvest&tweety
28-12-2007, 10:25 PM
Hi Dandys mom

we always have a good play in the evening - they seem to play in the mornings and sleep afternoons and then play again in the evenings - mind you the pair of them are asleep at the moment!!, they are still getting used to each other though. not feeling so guilty about keeping them in though. we live away from busy roads and I am not sure about foxes etc, but I have heard that there is a group of youths stealing cats and torturing them whether this is true or not I don't know but I don't want to take the chance
Anne

alexgirl73
28-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Hi alexgirl!!
Poor you, should have travelled another 10 miles or so to get to Thurso!!

Anne

lol, my friend who I was staying with did say their is a bit of a rivalry between Thurso and Wick. Are there a lot of Galbraiths up that way? (my dads surname)

Elaine
28-12-2007, 10:33 PM
lol, my friend who I was staying with did say their is a bit of a rivalry between Thurso and Wick. Are there a lot of Galbraiths up that way? (my dads surname)

No, the Galbraiths but 'n' bens were all burnt to the ground coz the wouldnt keep their hands off other folks potatoe scones:-D

alexgirl73
28-12-2007, 10:34 PM
shut yer face your fishwife you!!!! (sorry Anne, she keeps sticking her nose in where she shouldn't lol)

and anyway, it's tattie scones, not potato scones numpty!

Elaine
28-12-2007, 10:38 PM
Your gonna cut yourself with that sharp tongue Alex:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ok butting out now before the weedgie get really mad:-D

MrsH
28-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Hi sylvest&tweety! Stay strong and don't give in to him! If you're happier with him indoors at night (and I know that's how I prefer it with my cats) then that's the way it's got to be. How long ago was he castrated? If it wasn't very long ago then those male hormones might still be urging him to go out and explore until they're all out of his system. Maybe in another week or so he'll be calmer - just a thought!

catsmum
06-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Luckily for us our cats are all house cats. In the summer they may venture into the garden but always run back in. Jefferson is the only one who has made it over the fence into the neighbours garden :D

I think our decision to have them as house cats came about through hearing stories my friend the veterinary nurse told me about cats who out all day or all night. One of her cats got knocked down at night and she has never forgiven herself and now keeps him in at night.

I just feel happier knowing where they are, safe and well and of course warm :lol: They are on to too much of a good thing to want to start going outdoors :lol:

danits_24
07-03-2008, 02:22 PM
hey,

I wouldn't advise you to let your cat go out side at all because it's dangerous. There are a lot of accidents and it's not safe for them.

I think you need to teach your cat that his place is inside the house and eventually he will learn.

Sometimes one of our cats wants to sneak out side when we open the door but we don't let them.

Rosie
12-03-2008, 03:39 PM
My two Rosie and Alfie have free access to the outdoors day and night. They can't get near the road and I suppose there are other dangers at night although can't think of any offhand. In winter they tend to stay in but in summer they love being out at night and I wouldn't deprive them of their natural instinct. Depends of where you live I suppose.

angieh
12-03-2008, 09:37 PM
This is a problem that I haven't had to deal with for ages. Merlin sometimes pops out into the back garden if I'm out there and has a little potter about. He has no inclination to go out at night. When he was a younger cat, both he and Smudge (GBNF) could come and go as they pleased. Smudge in particular was an outdoor gal. We live in a semi rural area and tbh I always accepted that cats did go out - that was part of their independent charm, but of course I worried about them if they didn't come in for their meals. Smudge always came when I called her in if she was within hearing distance.

If ever I have another cat or young kits in the future I don't know what I will decide about the indoor/outdoor question. It's certainly a tricky question.

northern lass
18-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Since Max and Oli had the snip and I got round to putting a Cat Flap in the back door they are allowed ouside in the day but I lock the catflap at night.

I am probably a bit mad but I hope that the notice that when we put their collars on in the morning it is a signal that it is ok to go out and when the come off at night it is house time ( um yes that does sound a bit flakey :? )

Even with the cat flap Max will sit by the french doors waiting for you to open them - if opened he runs round and back in via the cat flap to sit by the door again (perhaps I'm not the only flaky one around here :shock: ) - Oli loves it outside and he charms the neighbours (I hear the lady who's garden backs on to ours talking to him to be careful on the fence :) he is such a tart)

I think out in the day and in at night is right for cats in the suburbs like mine (risk of traffic and youths !!!!)

angieh
18-03-2008, 06:42 PM
I think you're being sensible, taking into account where you live and I guess that's really the deciding factor.

I understand in Australia it's law that cats are kept indoors at night to stop them killing indigenous wildlife - maybe we should follow suit? I don't object to cats killing mice and rats, after all that is why human beings welcomed them into their barns and homes a long, long time ago but I do object to birds and voles and frogs too but obviously you can't teach a cat the difference!